New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

There Here!

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
I'm so happy! Faith had her kittens i didn't get on right away i was to busy watching them there so adorable! You just want to eat them, she lets us touch them etc. She was a great mommy they came out smoothly and fast, she limited my time lol . She groomed them and cleaned them, she's eating better she gave me no warnings. She has been sleeping in the pen for a few days but she didn't show signs of contractions or anything. The vet said it happens all the time they just start appearing, i wen't in to feed her again and they were coming out. I got some pictures she had 5. No names yet . So help me out .







I'll get more later
post #2 of 28
DONT GO!!! What a tragedy I cant see the pics!

Congrats on the new babies though, im sure they are lovely!
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thats weird i can? I'll try threw a attachment?
LL
LL
post #4 of 28
What gorgeous bubs!! I am in love with those Calico girls!!

Ive never seen mommy though, mind posting a pic whenever you can get you eyes off those wonderful babies?
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
lol, there are very pretty babies. I'll try and get a pic of Faith soon my picture files are being weird.
post #6 of 28
OMG LOOOOOOOK at the colors!!!! How Beautiful!!!
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
hehe yup. 2 Calico girls, 1 tortie male, 1 grey male, and 1 white and black female . 3 girls, 2 boys.
post #8 of 28
Congrats to you and Faith, the babies are beautiful!
post #9 of 28
Thread Starter 
hehe thank you. I'm trying to decide on names .
post #10 of 28
They are beautiful, I'm so jealous!

P.S. Kudos to you for being able to sex them at such a young age, even at 6 weeks I get it wrong sometimes!
post #11 of 28
Thread Starter 
I could be wrong lol but i'm pretty sure the grey is male i'll have to check them again lol. I'm not certain until there older .
post #12 of 28
They are so cute, most of them look like calicos, that most likely means girls
post #13 of 28
Are you SURE that tortie is a male??? Its very rare to get a tortie/calico male. Better go check again.

I'm guessing you have 3 females/2 males - the calicos and tortie are girls the other 2 are boys.
post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
I've had male calico's before i've never heard of being rare? Maybe just where you live but its not that hard here. I'll check him again but i'm pretty sure its a male.
post #15 of 28
I had also heard that most calicos are female and I did a little bit of research and found this on a cat myths page:

Myth: All calico (tortoiseshell) cats are female-
No, while the vast majority of calico cats are female, there is the occasional male. However, virtually all of these males are sterile. the calico colour is sex linked. For a cat to be calico it must have two X chromosomes ergo the cat is female. In rare instances however a male calico will be produced. This usually happens because the cat has an extra chromosome. So, instead of him being XY, he is XXY. These cats are known as Kleinfelter males.

* Approximately 1-3,000 calico's are male & out of those only 1-10,000 are fertile.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/CatMyths.htm
post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 
Very interesting information jkrodger. Thank You
post #17 of 28
Weird if you have had several "male" calicos. In over 25 yrs of showing, I've only ran across TWO male calicos. One was a male calico cornish rex and the other was a bluecream male in the household pet classes.

I haven't seen your kittens, but I really doubt you've have that many male calicos. Kittens sometimes are hard to tell male/female.

I bred rexes and the one white kitten I had I thought was a male - really looked a lot like a little boy. Wasn't till he went to vet for 1st shots that my male turned out to be a female - boy was I embarrased as I should have looked better.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPaws View Post
I've had male calico's before i've never heard of being rare? Maybe just where you live but its not that hard here. I'll check him again but i'm pretty sure its a male.
It is VERY rare, every where, In my whole life I have never seen one, I have seen a picture of one that was a show cat, and he was the only one in their records of being a male calico. (he was a cornish Rex) So if you know any one who says they have one, they probley just made a mistake. Where do you live? and why do you say it isn't hard there? do you know of any that really are males? or just some one that made a mistake?
You could be right, it does happen, but I am betting it's a little girl.
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Weird if you have had several "male" calicos. In over 25 yrs of showing, I've only ran across TWO male calicos. One was a male calico cornish rex and the other was a bluecream male in the household pet classes.

I haven't seen your kittens, but I really doubt you've have that many male calicos. Kittens sometimes are hard to tell male/female.

I bred rexes and the one white kitten I had I thought was a male - really looked a lot like a little boy. Wasn't till he went to vet for 1st shots that my male turned out to be a female - boy was I embarrased as I should have looked better.
That is funny you said you saw a male calico CR, I posted a picture here a long time ago of one, I wonder if it was the same one, LOL!
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
There is one Troy knows the owner they live out of state in Florida but he's a mature calico (around 4-5yrs old?) i think he might of been sterile because i know she breeds but he isn't a breeder just a pet.
post #21 of 28
Since he was a calico, I'm willing to bet its the same one (I believe it was sometime in the 1980's). He was also a breeding male which is even rarer. However, he only threw the black - not the red. He was tested to see which one he was and it turned out black. Male calicos can only throw one of the colors - not both like in their sisters.
post #22 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thats interesting but were really going off topic.
post #23 of 28
Hey there...glad that everything is going ok. Now would be the perfect time to schedule Faith's spay appt. for when the kittens are between 10-12 weeks of age.

Katie
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Since he was a calico, I'm willing to bet its the same one (I believe it was sometime in the 1980's). He was also a breeding male which is even rarer. However, he only threw the black - not the red. He was tested to see which one he was and it turned out black. Male calicos can only throw one of the colors - not both like in their sisters.

I only posted the picture so I lost the web site it came from, I have no idea now of whether he was a breeder or not, just a picture of him is all I have (and it took me an hour of searching my old posts to find it,)


post #25 of 28
Thread Starter 
Were loosing site off the main subject which is MY newborn KITTENS? Has anybody forgot? I think its nice to spread information but now your just kind of ticking me off...
post #26 of 28
I am sorry to take away from your new kittens! Congrads on them!
But, it was sort of on the topic of you and calicos, and the "many males" you have stated having, so it was on the topic. We were all trying to let you know they are VERY rare, in fact the picture I posted and the one GK45 mentioned were the same (the only male calico Cornish Rex recorded, atleast at that time)

Again, sorry about interupting your thread. Congrats to you and faith on the new babies! Good luck and have fun with them.
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPaws View Post
Were loosing site off the main subject which is MY newborn KITTENS? Has anybody forgot? I think its nice to spread information but now your just kind of ticking me off...
Kittypaws...I can appreciate that the conversation regarding calicos is a bit offtopic and I'm sure that topic will now finish.

I'm sure you already have been doing this, but please make sure that Lily and Faith are kept seperate at this point forward so that there is no chance of anything transmitting between them or their litters.


Katie
post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
There split between bedrooms she is in her own bed room with the kittens. While everybody else sleeps with me, or they will sleep in the living room .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care