Does anybody know

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How I can turn blue vinyl and black mesh into red and gold? The paint has to be cat friendly of course!

The situation is this...I ordered two sets of double show tents from the US. Due to financial considerations, I purchased the blue ones as opposed to the gold ones (the difference was around $70 each!). I thought that the blue would offset my Abys coat nicely. Well, it does. BUT, my cattery name is Masmera which means golden red and I think that my show tents should not only show off my cats but also my cattery. Makes sense don't you think?

So, now I have two options:

1. Sew on patches of red and gold (which may turn out disasterous since I can't sew very well) or
2. Paint the red and gold on.

I don't want to do a test run since I can't really afford to mess up the tents and it takes forever to get new ones (they wont ship direct to Malaysia).

Here's the link for them if you're interested in what they look like!

http://www.sturdiproducts.com/4111/x...3&cat=2&page=1

Any ideas???

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonder if you have someone who could dye them for you? I don't know about painting onto mesh... I think it might be hard to get the finished look you want.

Maybe a fabric shop or seamstress could advise you more?Or an upholstery shop? Maybe even someone who deals with auto interiors, they change colors on those sometimes...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They look nice. I don't know about the paint though. I would think some kind of fabric dye would be the way to go. I can see paint cracking and peeling really quick in that application.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe just get some beautiful red material and fashion a drape or cover? (I'm thinking silk.) You could also have gold embroidery done on the material - like the name of your cattery if allowed?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Maybe just get some beautiful red material and fashion a drape or cover? (I'm thinking silk.) You could also have gold embroidery done on the material - like the name of your cattery if allowed?
I like this idea. You may be able to get embroidery done professionally for a reasonable fee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That IS a brilliant idea and ...why didn't I think of that???? I can sew but I can embroider! I would do it the other way though, red on gold! Now, how do I attach the drapes on???

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

That IS a brilliant idea and ...why didn't I think of that???? I can sew but I can embroider! I would do it the other way though, red on gold! Now, how do I attach the drapes on???
Maybe some adhesive backed velcro tabs?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately not all materials react well to dye. The page doesn't show what they are made of, so I'm assuming vinyl or nylon, neither of which dye well. As for painting, I guess you could try a fabric paint on an area that doesn't show, such as inside on the bottom or underneath to see what happens.

Personally I like the idea of draping cloth to get the colours you want because you have a much wider range of creativity that way because you can change material and patterns from one show to the next if you want to.

It's a shame that you didn't opt for the black ones. Red and Gold metalic fabric would look smashing with the black. They will look good with the blue too, but the black would have made them "pop."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually didn't think of black when I ordered them, I only thought of how my cats would look, not my cattery name... I regret the decision now...but it's okay, live and learn!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The gold would look great with the blue tent. (I am partial to that color combination as it was my high school colors.
)