Oh the joys of long-haired cats! *eye roll*

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aslan, one of my soon-to-be-adopted (by me!) foster kittens, has beautiful, thick fur. I knew I'd have to start trimming his booty hair at some point, but, sheez, he's barely ten weeks old!

Yup, tonight, he got...er...stuff stuck in his fur and I had to give the poor fella his first bath, and then his first trim.
He fought a little, but I got the feeling he realized I wasn't trying to hurt him; his struggles weren't all panicky, you know?

Here's a pic of him grooming himself.

And another of him just being his cute self.

Just thought I'd share!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwww he's adorable I have 2 long haired cats and they are worth every trim and every fur accident

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a cutie!!!
I have a long haired Dilute Calico girl........so far I haven't had to do the trim thing yet.

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous little one! My kitty isn't really a long hair, but has longish fur around her ruff, her belly and a really full tail. It is super silky and soft. Luckily, no incidents yet, but I do check

Hairballs are the biggest problem. And keeping her brushed - it is good for her coat, skin and makes her looks soooooo pretty. She likes it sometimes - sometimes, not so much. But I can't stand when she starts looking ratty and have to keep her fluffy. It is so cute after she gets brushed and she struts around like a beauty queen

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually just took my DLH for her first grooming and it was worth EVERY PENNY!! She's got about 1/2 the fur she had when i took her in, they trimmed all those trouble places and she's bouncing around like a kitten (and smells like Mango shampoo). I think i'm going to try and keep her on a regular grooming schedule now (every 3 months or so maybe). I highly recommend it (even just every once in awhile)

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is so adorable!!! I mean really cute! I've never had a long hair cat, but if I seen him looking up at me with that precious face, I might have a hard time resisting.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I just recently experienced this! My medium haired kitten had a poop stuck right in the fur (just like gum in your hair). I followed him around for 15 minutes trying to pull it out but no luck. Finally, took my hair cutting scissors and chopped it out. I was so afraid he would go sit on my bed or the carpet (yuck!).

So... I guess in addition to nail trimmings I have to butt fur trimming too.

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's adorable!!

I have a long hair for the first time now, and she had a few matts that I had to deal with when I first got her. I found a metal comb did the best. I tried the "matt buster" but it just pulled like anything else. But now she's all silky and I don't anticipate any more problems with regular brushing. For me, grooming a long hair is half the fun.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh you are lucky your long haired likes being groomed. I am only allowed to brush around Lucky's neck and back...touch the backend or the tummy and I could lose my hand....hence the trip to the groomer (though the groomer said she was on her best behaviour and sweet as pie....strange! LOL)

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww he's precious! I have long haired cats too and have to keep the hair trimmed up a bit around their butts. You can even request a "sanitary trim" at a groomers if you wish to go that route!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm partial to the red tabbys anyway - he's really cute.

But even if he's never shown you should be establishing a grooming routine of washing, combing, trimming, blow drying him (have to on a long hair or the hair will get tangled when air drying), nail trimming.

Longhair kittens should be trained for all this grooming as young as possible or you will have a fight on your hands when older!

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's interesting to note here that I've had my longhaired girl for almost 3 years (I think... goodness...) and this week was the first time shes EVER had poop stuck to her butt. I had to cut it out, but usually she doesn't have a problem with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone, for sharing the amusement with me. *grin1* Thanks for the complements, too! I totally adore my Aslan.

For those who mentioned it, I don't show cats, but I am already grooming the kittens in preparation for when they'll actually need it. And I, too, think it's great bonding time.

Have a great day, y'all!

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What an absolutly gorgeous guy! He looks like my Uno! I have 4 longhaired kitties and I have to give them a butt shave every 2-3 months to avoid "cling-ons". Uno is the worst for getting them stuck and when he does, boy he does! Melody is the worst for having it done, she is such a princess that anything that could ruin her image makes her angry. I have yet to take Dusty in for a shave, but I am hoping in the next few days' to get his accomplished, he is a pretty laid back guy so I don't forsee any trouble. Squeeker is still only 7 months old and he seems to chew the fur around his tooshie so it stays pretty short, maybe he has seen what could happen if he doesn't!
Good luck and I LOVE your kitty!

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two long haired girls and I have never had to shave or trim their butt hair I also have never blow dried them after baths they would tear my arms off if I tried blow drying their. I have taken them in for pedicures though to get the in-between-the-toes hair trimmed!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks, guys! Y'all are makin' me blush.

Speaking of blush...er brushing *smile*, I've been using two different brushes on Aslan and his siblings. One is a baby's brush and the other is a small kitty brush with plastic tips. All the kittens are tolerating the brushing, but none have shown any real appreciation of it yet. I kinda like using the baby brush myself.... I'm a grandmother to be and I think I could use the practice. *laugh*

Here's a more recent pic of Aslan, all sprawled out in MY chair. Don't you know I refrained from checking my email until he was done with his snooze?! *sigh*