FIV litter of kittens...any ideas?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rescue has a litter of 3 month old FIV positive kittens. They have been tested twice, and it is stronger than the first test. Does anyone have any ideas or resources to find them a safe home? Transportation is available...these are sweet babies who need someone with a special heart to provide for them!

PM me if you have any helpful thoughts...I can get you more info easily.

Thanks!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could help you sweetie, but I don't know much about FIV positive kitties. I do know that Katiemae1277 is a little bit of an expert on the topic and may be able to help you.
Maybe you could try pm'ing her?
Good luck!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FIV is not as big of a deal because FIV positive and negative cats can live together with no worries. But it is still hard to rehome them.

If you want to drive them out to Ohio, I will take them out to the sanctuary in PA. Only thing is that I am going on Saturday so you would have to get them here by then.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

My rescue has a litter of 3 month old FIV positive kittens. They have been tested twice, and it is stronger than the first test. Does anyone have any ideas or resources to find them a safe home? Transportation is available...these are sweet babies who need someone with a special heart to provide for them!

PM me if you have any helpful thoughts...I can get you more info easily.

Thanks!
PACT Humane Society in Downer's Grove will sometimes take FIV+ kitties...

Our FIV+ room is completely full until some of those kits get homes!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though it may not be a big deal, any sick kitten/cat brings TONS of worries.
I do not know much about the illness to be honest.But, I have heard that it is rough on them and can be a problem with other kittens that they are around.
Good luck and I pray these kits find a forever home.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Even though it may not be a big deal, any sick kitten/cat brings TONS of worries.
I do not know much about the illness to be honest.But, I have heard that it is rough on them and can be a problem with other kittens that they are around.
Good luck and I pray these kits find a forever home.
I may have worded that wrong. Of course it sucks if your cats have it. It is a big deal. I just meant that they can live long happy "healthy" lives with FIV- cats with no worries. TNR groups are even releasing FIV positive cats once they are neutered. The other cats don't know if there are FIV+ ones mingled in. Unfortunately they are tough to rehome. No one wants a "sick" cat.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only way to transmit FIV is through bite wounds or mating, so unless you've got intact toms running around your home, the chance of passing it is nearly nil. FIV cats can live very long and healthy lives, the receptionist at my vet's office has an FIV cat that is at least 13 years old
FeLV is the one you gotta watch out for
that's what my kitties have unfortunately. FeLV is passed through casual contact, sharing water and food bowls, litterboxes and also mutual grooming. Its generally accepted that most FeLV cats don't live past their 3rd birthday if infected at a young age. I actually told Beckiboo to contact you, Jen, about the sanctuary.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ya I just got an email from her, I am going this weekend so it would be perfect. sort of short notice on their part to have to drive them so far at the last minute, but I wouldn't mind taking them at all.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I may have worded that wrong. Of course it sucks if your cats have it. It is a big deal. I just meant that they can live long happy "healthy" lives with FIV- cats with no worries. TNR groups are even releasing FIV positive cats once they are neutered. The other cats don't know if there are FIV+ ones mingled in. Unfortunately they are tough to rehome. No one wants a "sick" cat.
Thank you for re-wording that
It came off to ME that you were saying it was no big deal they were sick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! I forwarded your info to the coordinator for the rescue, Jen. Can the sanctuary in PA take them for sure? Is it the Tiger Ranch? That would be totally awesome if we can get them to you that quickly...

Thanks for the great info...TCS is such an awesome place for helping kitties! With awesome members who go over and above for the felines...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They absolutely can take them. I already called and said that i am coming with some cats and kittens just so she knows. I also told her I wanted to come and volunteer for a few hours and she said see ya saturday!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

They absolutely can take them. I already called and said that i am coming with some cats and kittens just so she knows. I also told her I wanted to come and volunteer for a few hours and she said see ya saturday!
Lovely! Thanks for the offer. I hope it works out...I'll let my rescue coordinator and the foster Mom work directly with you to see if this can happen. Thanks so much each of you for your quick responses!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope something is found - but 3 months is too young to be certain that the tests are positive, what age were they taken away from mum? ARe these antibody tests or virus isolation tests?

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two kitties that tested positive for FIV at 4 weeks, but they will be getting retested when they go in to be neutered on the 27th. So far having them live with Maui who is FIV- hasn't been a problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the second test comes back negative but even if it doesn't they are still staying with me.

I hope the kitties you are asking about are able to find a home!! Keep us posted if the foster mom is able to get them to Jen!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

I do hope something is found - but 3 months is too young to be certain that the tests are positive, what age were they taken away from mum? ARe these antibody tests or virus isolation tests?
I don't know...the e-mail asking for people to look for resources is the first I had heard of the kittens. I don't live near the others in my group, and rarely see them except at adoption shows, which I haven't been to recently. That would be lovely if they were actually negative, but it sounds like they had the second test, and their numbers were going up, indicating they are positive.

Sarah, you are a gem to keep your kitties. I thought about taking one or more of these FIV kittens myself, but I do have one boy (Will) who is still in and out, and fights sometimes when he is outside. He has recently taken to whacking the housecats...whether establishing territory or just playing? Not a big problem with my current group, but I wouldn't want him starting trouble with newbies. Also, I have a feline herpes kitty (Gar), and that might not be the best...not to mention I really don't want more kitties!

It will be lovely if they can go to a safe place for them, where they will be up for adoption. My agency does have some special needs kitties...two with heart murmurs from my recent "Hundred Acre Woods" kitties. So we have some luck with special needs cats, but we are a pretty small group which makes it difficult to adopt out a lot of them.

I will definitely keep you all posted, although it may be Jen who carries the rest of the story! LOL!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got a call. The two FIV positive kittens have a place to go!
So we won't need Jen to transport...this time! Thanks for all your help. The babies will be available for adoption, so will hopefully find happy forever homes soon!

Special thanks to Jen, KatieMae, and LionessRampant! People like you who are in the trenches, caring for the special needs kitties are simply awesome!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I just got a call. The two FIV positive kittens have a place to go!
So we won't need Jen to transport...this time! Thanks for all your help. The babies will be available for adoption, so will hopefully find happy forever homes soon!

Special thanks to Jen, KatieMae, and LionessRampant! People like you who are in the trenches, caring for the special needs kitties are simply awesome!
Thanks great!!
I hope they find great homes

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad there will be a positive outcome to this.