the pouchy thing cats get

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I've got my cats and they're around 7 months old. In the past, with other cats we've had, as they got older they got a little pouchy flap of skin right infront of their back legs. We all ways called it their dingle-dangle.
Well, Nova has recently developed quite a large one. I'm not sure how to explain this. It kind of feels like a nursing cats chest. She's been spayed and has not been in contact with any male cats, so I know she's not pregnant. Is probrobly just fatty deposits or is it something I should be worring about? I have never thought that they eat too much, but who knows. I just didn't think that the little pouchy thing would develop until a little later in their lives. I thought about calling my vet, but I aways feel so stupid because most of the time the answers have an obvious answer and then I feel stupid. (Like they are with this question, my cat probrobly just gains wieght there or something.) But I'm just curious, what's been everyones experience with this?

I hope that all made sence.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's a spay sway. From what I have heard, it is common, and normal.

I thought I remembered reading that it is because after being spayed their metabolic rate goes down, but honestly couldn't tell ya if that is true or not. Marishka has been spayed for almost 5 or 6 months, and hasn't developed one, but has gained weight and filled out. She was about 6 months when spayed (she had been a stray until that point), and verrrry skinny and bony. She obviously gained weight as she got older, but is getting a little 'fluffy' as well, so I probably wouldn't be surprised if she developed one in a few months, or when she's older.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The spay sways of my 4 females vary in degrees with my senior joji having quite a big bulge.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

The spay sways of my 4 females vary in degrees with my senior joji having quite a big bulge.
Oh my, and I thought Scampi had a large pooch
Very cute.

One of my males has one too.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Oscar has a poochy belly, too, and he's only a little over a year old. I had him at the vet for a cold a few weeks ago and asked the doc about it - he said the vets call it a "cat udder" *laugh* and that it's quite common and nothing to worry about.

Even cats that haven't been spayed have kitty udders (sorry, just had to say it again! *grin*).

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm glad this question was asked.My DH said Lilly looks like she's pg.........which she can't be as she was spayed!

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is a spay sway. Almost all my females have always gotten it. Think of it this way, we as humans when we have a c-section, what happens right were they went in? There is a tiny "fold" in our skin. Why? Because the muscles are cut in the process and take time to heal up, scar tissue forms wich slows that down more. I have had 2 c-sections and have that lovely fold wich only plastic surgery can remove. For cats its the same, my vets have always used that as an example to explain what happens. I mean they have to get to the uterus for the cats, well they go through the muscle wall. And course poor kitty cant do sit ups so their "sway" is even worse than ours lol.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big Guy Dino has one and its terrible ! When he runs it flops from side to side

I think he needs a tummy tuck ..........well I suppose it wont be long (if not already) offered to kitties

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Pushy has one too. We've always teased him about his big udders.
His belly sways from side to side too! But we still love him, because he's udderly beautiful.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When we got Maui he was 6 months old and already had a belly!! He wasn't even chunky or anything- just healthy, but he did have a belly so it was kind of weird. Now that he is 9 months he is HUGE and his 'udders' don't look so odd on him anymore
Now he just looks like a fat cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys for the feedback. I feel alot better now knowing that it's normal.

Joji does have quite the buldge, and I think Nova's is about the same size. I think the only reason this was worring me is because I didn't notice her pooch forming an then it was like BAM! Big pooch. My husband and I were like- where in the world did that come from?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pandora and Antigone are sisters, same age (10 months), and got spayed at the same and Paandora has one and Antigone doesn't
their younger sister Demeter at 7 months doesn't have one either, I think it all depends on the cat, but Pandora's swings back and forth when she runs down the hallway

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Pandora and Antigone are sisters, same age (10 months), and got spayed at the same and Paandora has one and Antigone doesn't
their younger sister Demeter at 7 months doesn't have one either, I think it all depends on the cat, but Pandora's swings back and forth when she runs down the hallway
that's my experience, too - & it worsens with age. Pixel's is quite obvious, Chip doesn't appear to have one [of course, he's male - do they even get them?] Cable's is small & Java doesn't seem to have one yet. she's the youngest of all - & the slimmest as well. i call her my supermodel!

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Pandora has one too! She was spayed at the Humane Society where I got her as an 8 week old kitten and it just developed as she grew. I think it's cute the way it sways back and forth.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two orange boys have one, too. I always thought that Tailer's was because he tends to be a bit chubby. Forest's is bigger, though, and his weight is perfect.

rampantlioness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boys have it too. Well Jack has it and he is at a good weight. You can't see Tigs because he's gotten so fat! Like a pot-bellied pig covered in fur! But I love him all the same!

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish I have seen a thread like this before I took Darci too the doctor. I was sure something was wrong but the vet said, if he crawled around on his hands and knees him mom would take him to the doctor too. I felt like an idiot that I just a chubby kitty but was happy she was healthy. I am still amazed by it. Her brother doesn't have it but I guess he wasn't spayed. I am startying to love her pooch as much as I lover her and her brother!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

Big Guy Dino has one and its terrible ! When he runs it flops from side to side
That's what Scratch's wing/cat udder/spay sway does when she runs.