How do you cope with 'midnight crazies'?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stoli and Luxor on 'often' occasions will romp around the house and every bump and ting wakes me up. I work hard to clean up any dishes or things they could break and I'm ok with the running up and down the stairs sounds. . .but any other sound I just can't sleep through.

Do you sleep through the crazies? If so, how!
If you don't, and you keep waking up, how do you go back to sleep?
Stoli and Luxor's midnight crazies seem to happen at about 4am, and I get up about 5:30. Just close enough to make me even more tired if I do fall back to sleep.

I've tried ignoring them, feeding them, picking them up, scolding them, locking them out of my room, putting them in 'their' room, playing with them profusely before bed. . .you name it. I just need to know what YOU do to sleep through it.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I take two Benadryls before bed.

Mine, thankfully, usually do their freakouts around 10pm - midnight, when I'm usually still awake. Gracie used to wake me up a lot in the middle of the night, and I'd use a spray bottle to get her to shush... until I realized that she liked the spray bottle and was waking me up to be squirted.

She started sleeping through the night when she was about a year and a half old, which just happened to be around the same time I started using an electric blanket. She likes the extra warmth so much that she'll stay in bed until I kick her out now.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spyder usually gets like that either around midnight or about 5 am. Sometimes both!
I just ignore him.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never slept through it...usually she will wake me up around 4 or 5am...and I usually just slam my hand down on the bed to make a noise that will get her attention..then strangley enough, she will jump beside me and go right to sleep until i wake up at 7:30am...

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this doesn't help you, but I'm so tickled with my foster kittens that being woken up by their antics is a pleasure. I'll wake up to pounding footsteps or squealing kitties, smile, and go right back to sleep.

I'm sure that'll wear off at some point, and then I'll be asking the same question as you. *laugh*

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

My cats sleep through the night!
Mine do, too. They didnt when they were younger, though and just as I got adjusted to many wake ups, they started sleeping through the night.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I play Bed Mice with Gizmo when she wakes me at 3 AM.
I move my hand around under the duvet, she attacks it (no injuries result; she knows it's a hand) and she rabbit kicks for a while. She will then go back to sleep til I want to get up.
It's a small annoyance, but it makes her happy and doesn't really bother me since I can do it on my back with my eyes closed.

It is more fun to watch her, though.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I work 3rd shift!

I sleep with the air purifier on. A fan works too. The white noise helps me fall asleep and covers up noises like naughty kittens, fussy bunnies, and telemarketers calling on the phone at all hours of the day.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a noise-maker that plays sounds of running water all night long, since I'm an extremely light sleeper. For the most part Spike and Oz sleep through the night, but usually around 4am Spike will start getting crazy and will start yowling and scratching at the carpet or the mattress. When that happens, he and Oz both get kicked out of the bedroom and the door is closed (I don't like tossing Oz out, but he keeps Spike happy). If Spike starts being really destructive and annoying, he gets shut up in the bathroom, but it's only for about an hour, as both J and I get up quite early.

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Much like you, I've tried just about every trick there is but our cats will still go crazy every night, I now only wake up when there's a screaming play fight (often), someone running into a door or dresser (often), they chase eachother across the bed (and our bodies) (often), or someone's growling to defend their spot in the window or on the bed (every night). Now I just wake up, growl at them in my head, and then go back to sleep.
This is what I'm stuck with. Our cats are almost 2 1/2 and somewhere around 5-6 (our stray) and they still do this all night long.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh well, my kitties are allowed out, so when Miss Moofs starts ,usually about 5.45am, I go down stairs and let her out. I think I sleep walk now, just jump back to bed and fall asleep...........

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Either my cats don't have the crazies or I sleep right though it. I normally wake up in the middle of the night to find my cats fast asleep on my bed. They are very active during the day so I guess they get all thier sleep at night.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sleep like the dead
sometimes I wonder if the cats have tried to wake me up and since they got no response they just gave up
I have woken up with a cat laid across my throat and I swear I never felt him get there

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can usually just say, "Anya! Shhhhh...mommy is trying to sleep," and she calms down enough for me to get another hour or so in. (She usually wakes me up around 6-6:30 and I get up at 7:30)

When that doesn't work and she's doing her new favorite thing, which is pawing and squeaking her soft claws on the wall behind my head
, I just wake up and set her outside of the bedroom and close the door. She plays out there until I get up to play with her myself.