New home

bob66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently brought my cat to my new home, I got her as a kitten and she stayed at my mothers home until me and my wifes new home was completed so we could move in. She is spayed , up until now she lived with her brother male cat, getting another cat for her to play with isnt an option, how long will it take for her to adjust to the new home, we both work jobs so there will any suggestions days she is alone, are welcome on how i can make this easier for her, also there will be times when we both will be on the road so she will be returning to moms on occasion, I know we are busy but still wat a pet to love so we do want to keep he

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am in a similar situation, I am preparing for my kitten coming home on Sunday, and have decided to put everything in the hall for my kitten. The hall is small, but there I will have a litter tray, food/water and his bed.

I think this way he will be more secure, in a smaller space. I will spend time with him, playing etc. When I am at work, we will give him access to the bedroom, to explore - but the livingroom is out of bounds because of the rats.

Once he is settled, I will have him in the livingroom with me (supervised) until I know I can trust him!!!

I am soooooooooo excited!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bob66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I did something I am sorry I did but I feel it was the unselfish thing to do, she wasnt eating she cried for her brother cat and I just decided not to put her thru this anymore so I took her back to live with my mom, i will get another but one that i dont have to separate from a life she loves, one from the pound that i can make its life better .

kashmyre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My
goes out to you. I had a similar thing happen when I moved out of my parents house many years ago. I had gotten my cat Kiki as a kitten when I was 6 years old. At 20 when I left I decided to take my cat with me. She became very lethargic and I remember one night thinking she was dying
. The next day I took her back to my parents and and she lived to be 18 1/2 years old before we had to have her put down. I have already told my own kids that when they go, the pets stay!

rock_star2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It can sometimes take a while, for my cat Cleo when I first got her she adapted really quick, but she was only about 1 or 2 months old. For some cats it can take up to 2 weeks to a month. They just need to get used to their new surroundings.

bob66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I may have jumped the gun....what do you guys think, my wife now thinks i did as well, actually she did all along but wouldnt give her opinion before because she knows i am hard headed, I have a week of 5 possibly 6 days i will be off work and I am thinking about giving it another chance, i know if i do she will have to stay and i cant keep moving her back and fourth other than when I go on vacation but i truely miss her,most people are saying she would have been fine in a few weeks. Let me hear what you guys think

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would leave the cat with her brother if your mother is willing to take care of both animals. There are plenty of wonderful cats in shelters and foster homes whose lives would be greatly improved(or saved) if you adopted them.

bob66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bob66

I think I may have jumped the gun....what do you guys think, my wife now thinks i did as well, actually she did all along but wouldnt give her opinion before because she knows i am hard headed, I have a week of 5 possibly 6 days i will be off work and I am thinking about giving it another chance, i know if i do she will have to stay and i cant keep moving her back and fourth other than when I go on vacation but i truely miss her,most people are saying she would have been fine in a few weeks. Let me hear what you guys think
I just dont know what to do, try again or get a new cat and let my mom keep her, here is the negative pointsshe ate but not like at my moms, she cried in the mornings,hid under the couch, which she always did do, under the bed,at times she may be there for 12 hrs alone, not everyday though , times would vary but at times i would be there 2 to 5 days in a row.

the positive points...she went to the litter box just fine, she was playing at times quite hard ...running ,jumping down the stair well, played with her toys, purred and slept next to me and my wife while we watched tv. Help me out guys !

bob66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

I would leave the cat with her brother if your mother is willing to take care of both animals. There are plenty of wonderful cats in shelters and foster homes whose lives would be greatly improved(or saved) if you adopted them.
You have a good point and there is a good chance I may do just that.,Just trying to get some opinions on what most people would do. Thanks

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bob, it's a tough call. Our daughter moved back home and brought Mika into our lives. She is very much our daughter's cat in her closeness to her, but she has bonded with Bijou and we honestly think they would really miss each other. We've pretty much decided that if (when) Jennifer moves out permanently, Mika will stay with us. We think it would be very unfair to separate the cats now.

I vote for you getting a new cat to fill that feline deprivation void. (I've been there and know the feeling.)

bob66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone here has posted some good points, is there anyone else out there that separated 2 cats that are about 6 months old, that is the age of these ones.