Blue Buffalo Spa Select

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone on this board currently have their dog or cat on this Holistic Pet Food? Apparently from the information that I received the other day while at PetSmart from an employee of the Blue Buffalo company that manufactures it, the ingredients in this food are more healthy for our little furry friends and contains no by-products that are harmful to their digestive tracks. I am currently trying this brand out with my two cats and so far they love it. I just wanted to see if others have tried it out as well and if so what experiences have you all had (good or bad).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blue buffalo is solid.... I wont feed it as there are too many grains and extras for my taste... I also is much lower in fatty acids than many other foods... My girls will only eat one of the blue cans... If it has the two different shapes that the dog does I would also worry about the cats only getting half of what they need

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, so this food is actually not good for them? Im trying to find a food that will supply my babies with the supplements that they need and will also fill them up so they arent always hungry or begging for food.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's better than some, such as Iams or Science Diet. Nutro would also be a good choice, and available at Petsmart. I've heard Authority is decent, similar to Nutro. Neither have by-products. What other stores do you have in your area?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarkleysJester

Hmmm, so this food is actually not good for them? Im trying to find a food that will supply my babies with the supplements that they need and will also fill them up so they arent always hungry or begging for food.
No food is perfect, that is why a few of us roatate
.... Blue spa is a solid food ... Nutro is one I use when I can .... Royal canin makes some formulas that are great ... I like Authoritys wet there dry is decent ...

What do the "kids "get now??

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

It's better than some, such as Iams or Science Diet. Nutro would also be a good choice, and available at Petsmart. I've heard Authority is decent, similar to Nutro. Neither have by-products. What other stores do you have in your area?
Ive tried Authority before, my babies dont like that one. Ive never tried Nutro before, in fact I have never heard of it. The other stores in the area are Petco, Walmart, Target, K-mart I think. I buy most of my cat foods at Petsmart and the local grocery store.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

No food is perfect, that is why a few of us roatate
.... Blue spa is a solid food ... Nutro is one I use when I can .... Royal canin makes some formulas that are great ... I like Authoritys wet there dry is decent ...

What do the "kids "get now??
The kids enjoy the wet Spa Select. Before I was introduced to this brand they were on Purina Indoor cat formula (well technically they still are) and eating Meow Mix for a wet food treat, they like Meow Mix as well.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you have a Petco, you may want to try Natural Balance. They have a wide variety of flavors to choose from, so you may have better luck finding one your cats will eat.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What exactly is Natural Balance, is it another good brand for giving my babies what they need?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natural balence is a good brand I prefer there allergy formula in cat but that is me...lol... Petco also carries Solid gold , organix( I dont like the cat dry) and castor and pullox

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried it and liked it - but I ended up switching back to another food with a higher fatty acid content as well since Astrid's coat seemed to be dull to me and she seemed itchy. She liked it OK. I thought the price was very reasonable and the ingredients were good.

She has discovered Merrick wet food and will only eat that and Fancy Feast. I tried everything from Wellness, Innova, Blue Spa, and prescription Science Diet and now Merrick. As for dry, I make a special mix of three that she really likes. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Blue Spa though, it is just that every cat is an individual and some do better on it than others, like everything.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forget-Me-Not

I tried it and liked it - but I ended up switching back to another food with a higher fatty acid content as well since Astrid's coat seemed to be dull to me and she seemed itchy. She liked it OK. I thought the price was very reasonable and the ingredients were good.

She has discovered Merrick wet food and will only eat that and Fancy Feast. I tried everything from Wellness, Innova, Blue Spa, and prescription Science Diet and now Merrick. As for dry, I make a special mix of three that she really likes. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Blue Spa though, it is just that every cat is an individual and some do better on it than others, like everything.
So it is important that they get a high count of fatty acids in their system? I just want to be a good meowmy and make sure that they get the nutrition that they need to be healthy.

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think so. Some cats do fine with lower levels, but it was the advice here about her dull coat that sent me on a search for a dry food with high enough levels for her. I guess it depends on every cat and type of coat/skin. Astrid has a problem with hairballs (semi-long hair very fine silky fur) even with brushing, laxatone and the furminator, so keeping her on higher levels of fatty acids seems to help alot. She has much fewer episodes and further apart.

As long as I check the labels carefully (I did alot online since it is hard to do it right in stores sometime) I finally found a formula of dry food she will eat and has the necessary nutrients. The final version (as of now) is Nutro Gourment Classics Hairball Control (for obvious reasons), California Natural(simple and healthy) and Pet Promise (also health and she loves it). And another consideration for me was kibble size - she has a tendency to swallow her food whole and isn't a good cruncher (unless it is a toy and that is another thread
) so I was checking to make sure she would be able to eat it properly.

It is all about the individual cat and there are many opinions (all helpful) and doing the best you can. Your cat will let you know what they like and you just have to make sure it is the best food you can find and afford.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would like to add that Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soul is a pretty decent food, no by-products, and I think out of the first 5 ingredients 4 are meat based
not all that terribly expensive either
I get mine at Pets Supplies Plus, a midwest pet chain, but they usually carry it at feed stores too, their website has a vendor locator http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/
I also feed my dogs this food, everyone really likes it, even the kitty I have that supposedly didn't eat dry eats it

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I would like to add that Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soul is a pretty decent food, no by-products, and I think out of the first 5 ingredients 4 are meat based
not all that terribly expensive either
I get mine at Pets Supplies Plus, a midwest pet chain, but they usually carry it at feed stores too, their website has a vendor locator http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/
I also feed my dogs this food, everyone really likes it, even the kitty I have that supposedly didn't eat dry eats it
I had high hopes for the Blue Spa food, Barkley eats it and generally goes off and sleeps for a few hours, this is wonderful considering his usual rambunctiousness after eating. So far both him and Petunia love it and Petunia has not gotten sick after eating it since that first time. I think they are finally getting used to it, although I also purchased some of the wet food too and I dont think they are taking to that so well, they love Meow Mix too much!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw it in Petsmart and really wanted to try it but I don't dare now. After Jake's near death experience I'm going to have to stick to IAMS and Royal Canin. Apparently his little digestive system just can't take change (nor the stress of having a kitten around) and he does so well on this mix. Maybe I can try it in the future. Like, after he's put on about 3 lbs and had a hundred years to recover! Ok, maybe a hundred is a little excessive.