Meowing Problems. Help please!

littlet2278

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good afternoon All,

My cat ashley has been living with me and my boyfriend in out apartment for about 1 week and 3 days. She was at my mothers house before that for a few years and as a kitten with us in a different apartment. My question is that Ashley gives off this meow that is loud, deep, calling type that I have never heard her do. I lived with my mother the whole time she was there so she is our cat. I know she has to get use to the new surroundings but she has shown signs of being more comfortable like playing and sitting on out laps and walking around into different rooms now. She does this unusual meowing sometimes during the day but alot when we are going to bed and while we are sleeping. It's loud enough that I wake up because of it this week at like 4am. I'm not sure if it's her being lonely cuz there was another cat and dog at my moms house and she is the only animal at my apartment.
Please help!!!!!!!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's definitely looking for her old friends. Is there a really good reason why she cannot stay at your mother's again? Can you at least get her a new friend?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlet2278

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She could go back to my mom's I just missed her and wanted her with me. Is it even more traumatic to bring her back to her my mothers???? I was thinking of getting a kitten to keep her company but didn't know if it was a good idea..cuz she is an older cat. She is like 6 years old. THe rest the time she seems very happy.......

littlet2278

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is 6 - 7years old and I honestly don't know when her last exam was...but she was not like this at my mothers house.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's probably missing your mom and the other cat there. I'd take her back to your mom's since she'll probably be happier there and then get a new cat for yourself.

Stephanie

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With any new behavior, it's always wise to first rule out any health issues. Around age 7, it's best for our cats to have exams at least twice a year, and my first concern would be if it's been a while since Ashley last visited her Vet. With the new living situation and the huge adjustment this is for her, it's very likely behavioral, as you suspect, but I feel it's always best to be on the safe side when it comes to health. Yowling, for instance, can be a sign of emotional distress, but can also indicate such issues as high blood pressure or, although not so likely at Ashely's age, cognitive dysfunction.

Just over a week isn't a very long time. Ashley may just need a little longer to adjust. You may want to consider getting a Feliway Diffuser. Whatever schedule she's been used to at your Mom's..meal times, cuddle times, play times..try to mimic it as much as possible. Be sure she has plenty of fun toys, cat trees, perches, etc, to keep herself busy while participating in usual kitty behavior and instincts. When she yowls, go to her, pick her up, and comfort her and/or engage her in some sort of interactive play. If it's the middle of the night and difficult to drag yourself up when you've been fast asleep, try first calling to her. Is she yowling from different rooms? If so, how would it be to perhaps close her in your bedroom with you (water and litterbox in the room, as well) for a couple of nights to see if she possibly felt more comfortable right in there with you?

As far as adopting a family member to be with Ashley, never adopt for this sole purpose. If you've been considering getting a kitten, though, age 6-7 isn't too late to enjoy a new sibling. Sierra was 10 1/2 when Serenity joined us! It sort of depends on a kitty's personality. If she enjoyed playing with the cat and dog at your Mom's house, she may enjoy someone new to play with. Even if she isn't much for play, please remember there are multitudes of adult and senior cats who need a family just like yours to love them! This would cut down on the hyper kitten factor.

Just a few thoughts. Big snuggles to you, Ashley, from my girlies!

littlet2278

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses. Again I got absolutely no sleep last night. She was worse then ever. I ignored and ignored and she didn't stop. I don't know what to do. I've tried everything. Our doors are open and she doesn't come in. We tried having her stay in the bedroom with us and she did the same thing..very loudly. She has toys, food and water and cat box and I left the tv's on too cuz she is use to tv..still did not stop. I went into the livingroom to sleep and she will just walk around or sit int the hall or anyroom and make the loud sounds. I picked her up and put her on me and petted her and gave her love but after a bit she jumps off and the goes off and makes the sounds again. I don't know.it's driving me crazy...i need sleep desperately.

phebekitty999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LittleT2278

Thanks for the responses. Again I got absolutely no sleep last night. She was worse then ever. I ignored and ignored and she didn't stop. I don't know what to do. I've tried everything. Our doors are open and she doesn't come in. We tried having her stay in the bedroom with us and she did the same thing..very loudly. She has toys, food and water and cat box and I left the tv's on too cuz she is use to tv..still did not stop. I went into the livingroom to sleep and she will just walk around or sit int the hall or anyroom and make the loud sounds. I picked her up and put her on me and petted her and gave her love but after a bit she jumps off and the goes off and makes the sounds again. I don't know.it's driving me crazy...i need sleep desperately.
i have the same prob

kckid413

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the SAME problem. We adopted an 11yr old almost 4 weeks ago. The first couple of weeks he was fine, but for the last week he just walks around meowing for attention. If you go to pet him he runs away or will only sit for a minute.
My poor husband has only been getting two hours sleep a night (I work third shift) and is at his wits end. He wants me to take it back to the pound, but the idea breaks my heart. I read to ignore him, and that didn't work. I finally decided to start spraying him, that doesn't work, he will run away and come back 5 min later. This morning I have finally kicked him out of all the bedrooms hoping that maybe he will at least realize he can't be in there anymore to meow. I don't know what to do anymore!!! He looks so confused because he doesn't understand why we don't bother with him.

HELP!!!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With an 11 year old, I would strongly recommend getting blood work done to check thryoid levels, and a blood pressure check as well. Both can cause excessive vocalization.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well do you play with him? With toys? If you just want him to be 'furniture' you certainly will have trouble. He needs attention (and a friend would also be great if you can manage!).

babytobee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once again... same problem. Only difference, we moved over a year ago and took him from a 2 cat household into a place where he is alone. He has become incredibly needy and cries endlessly unless I pick him up and hold him. It's funny though... my boyfriend says he will be fine all day when I am at work but when it is about 11pm (when I get home from work) he starts to cry. When I walk in the door he runs up to me and cries "meow-ma". Haha... it totally sounds like he is saying "mamma". I crack up. Anyhow... I totally got off topic. I would suggest getting her a friend... soon. Tobee now has really bad seperation anxiety. Poor baby. Get her a friend soon and hopefully, she won't get it as well.

~Amy

wout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that when they have been used to having other cats around, it's best to keep it that way.. even if it's a new friend, I'm sure that would help a lot.

We might not be used to the "strange" meow because it's targeted at cats instead of us.. but that's just a hunch o' mine

When Aris was at the hospital, Orion was doing exactly this - almost continuously - the whole time his friend was gone.

It was tough to see him walking around calling his friend (I assume), not understanding where he could have gone
It ceased when Aris got back. Well, he got back to his 'regular' talking then