Newbie registration help

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope this is the right forum to post this..

I just adopted a registered Maine Coon this weekend, I'm sending off her registration transfer info today, her champion verification is attached to her papers, does that get sent in too for the transfer??

and...
the original cattery is still listed in her name, looks like a prefix tho, and not a suffix, should I just leave that as it is? or should I have it removed? I'm not a cattery, just an individual.

I'm new to this registered stuff.. thanks

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only speak for CFA so if you cat is not CFA, ignore this.

You only need to send off the transfer papers (green slip which should be signed by the previous owner or breeder on the back), keep the Champion papers with you.

You cannot change the prefix and because the cat is already a champion you cannot change her registered name either (the name change would have to be done before she became titled). But you can add a suffix but since you are not a breeder, it is an unneccessary additional charge.

Hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes! thanks so much! CFA is one of the organizations, TICA is the other one.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MCMaggie

Yes! thanks so much! CFA is one of the organizations, TICA is the other one.

You're welcome!
And congratulations on your new cat.
Will you keep showing her under premiership?

And... may I be a busybody and ask what her prefix is????

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very interested in showing her under premier when her coat grows back, she's just now going to the vets for spaying this Friday.

Her prefix is ABCCats, I believe they are up north (Im the third owner, she was shown by the breeders I just purchased her from here in Texas). http://www.abccats.com/Cattery/default.asp?page=body
(just looked at the site..they are up north if you consider Oklahoma up north..I guess some Texans do!
)
Oh and her daddy is the GC shown first on the males page, Magic Lovin'.

I need to find a guide for show ettiquette, I'm sure TICA and CFA may have info on their site, just so I dont look like a total noob when I show her.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the link for you..CFA

http://www.cfa.org/shows.html

You don't really need to wait for here to grow her belly fur back, judges will make allowances for it! But, it would be best that you not show her until she has settled down from the operation and into some sort of routine.

I would also suggest that you join the local CFA/TICA cat club and find some sort of show mentor there...I'm sure you'll get plenty of help!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything stays the same. You don't remove the breeder's cattery or name of the cat. The association already has the championship status verified (that's why you have the copy of it).

All you are doing is letting the association know you are now the owner of such and such cat. All other info remains as it it on the blue slip. Just change of ownership is all you need to pay for/worry about

Just curious (went to website - nice cats). Who are the parents of your kitty? And did you buy the cat for a pet or will you be allowed to continue to show in premiership? I'd talk to the breeder regarding showing. They may have shown him and he didn't like the shows so they stopped.

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Just curious (went to website - nice cats). Who are the parents of your kitty? And did you buy the cat for a pet or will you be allowed to continue to show in premiership? I'd talk to the breeder regarding showing. They may have shown him and he didn't like the shows so they stopped.
Maggie's dad is shown on the website's male page, GC Jesse Magic Lovin', both his parents were GC. Havent looked for her mom's pic yet but her name indicates another cattery produced her maybe.. Dragonmaine Miss Ivy of Coondavis. Miss Ivy's not champion but her dad was GC.

They stopped showing her when she became so interested in boys that she was distracted and scratched a judge.
But it wasnt so bad as to get a DQ (and/or the judge was lienient), so they decided to breed her
to be on the safe side in case they wanted to show her later.

I'm thinking that after shes spayed, she may do fine in premier.
She's very people friendly and travels like a dream.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd still ask the breeder if its ok to try her in premiership again. She looks like a very nice MC and should do well. Nice change from all the brown tabbys you usually see in MC's....

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'd still ask the breeder if its ok to try her in premiership again. She looks like a very nice MC and should do well. Nice change from all the brown tabbys you usually see in MC's....
Thanks, I had never even heard of a "van" before I saw her.. other than the Chevy kind

Do you mean that the previous owner might object to me showing her in premier? It never crossed my mind that they might object, but they gave no signs of objecting and answered all my noobish questions about showing. Also, looking on my reciept/sales agreement, she was sold as "show/pet".

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its show/pet then you could show in the premiership. I'm saying that ask the breeder if they would think the cat would be ok in the ring (after it got upset).

Or you can just find a small one day show and enter the cat. You should have all the info including the registration number. Is the certificate say she is "champion" or "premier"? If its only "champion" that means she was shown in the adult classes of entire cats (not spayed/neutered). You would enter her as an "open" in the Premiership class at her first show and she has to have 6 winners ribbons to earn the title of "premier".

A "van" is a pattern - meaning white cat with color on the head, tail, and one or two body spots - the ideal van only has color on the head/tail.

If you show her, you can ask the breeder what color class she would be in too.

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

If its show/pet then you could show in the premiership. I'm saying that ask the breeder if they would think the cat would be ok in the ring (after it got upset).

Or you can just find a small one day show and enter the cat. You should have all the info including the registration number. Is the certificate say she is "champion" or "premier"? If its only "champion" that means she was shown in the adult classes of entire cats (not spayed/neutered). You would enter her as an "open" in the Premiership class at her first show and she has to have 6 winners ribbons to earn the title of "premier".

A "van" is a pattern - meaning white cat with color on the head, tail, and one or two body spots - the ideal van only has color on the head/tail.

If you show her, you can ask the breeder what color class she would be in too.
Oh I see what you mean now. According to the breeder, she did great until she became obsessed with boys, and only had the one incident. I'm thinking after she is spayed it will be fine. But I like your idea of finding a small show for a test. They showed her quite a bit, champion in both TICA and CFA, so what you're saying they have to requalify, so to speak, to be in Premier?

Her official color catagory is listed as Van Brown Tabby White.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know in CFA you have to start over. Not sure about TICA rules - I'm sure the TICA show people would know. In ACFA you can retain the titles from championship to go into premiership and not start over. Like if your cat is Grand Champion, they can immediately go to Grand Champion Alter.

IMO they shouldn't have to start over if they've earned the title cause in Championship class its a lot harder to grand

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, in CFA she would have to start over in the Premiership class - 6 winner ribbons are required for the title Premier and 75 points thereafter to Grand Premier.

I agree with GK that a small one day show would be the best way to start!

As for color class in CFA, the first four digits in her reg # denotes the exact color class she is in...for example, my Stevie's reg is 0360-xxxxxxx. 0360 denotes ruddy abyssinian male. Yours should read, I think 1779-xxxxxxx which denotes Brown tabby & white (incl. vans) female.

Sorry - I have a copy of the show rules just by my computer!

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Yes, in CFA she would have to start over in the Premiership class - 6 winner ribbons are required for the title Premier and 75 points thereafter to Grand Premier.

I agree with GK that a small one day show would be the best way to start!

As for color class in CFA, the first four digits in her reg # denotes the exact color class she is in...for example, my Stevie's reg is 0360-xxxxxxx. 0360 denotes ruddy abyssinian male. Yours should read, I think 1779-xxxxxxx which denotes Brown tabby & white (incl. vans) female.

Sorry - I have a copy of the show rules just by my computer!
hmm mine is 1717! what does that designate? *edit- just looked up the code online, it doesnt list 1717, but 1716 is Van Brn tabby white, which is darn close. Her color is listed a little differently on my sales papers, Van Brown Mackerel Tabby White... so I'm guessing thats the 1717 code.

Starting over actually appeals to me in a way, fresh slate for me and her.

I was looking at the show schedules for TICA and CFA, most are very far away from me. How far does the average show person travel to show their cat? and how often?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay - the last number of the 1st 4 digits designate sex: males get the even numbers and females get the odd numbers - so the actual competition color class code maybe something else. Again an example for my Abys - although my male is 0360 and my female is 0361, the competition class # is 0380/1.

Let me check with the local MC breeder here concerning the 1716/7 number...

Yes, we do travel a lot! It depends on what you're trying to achieve and in what period of time and a lot of it depends on the cat itself. If your cat is Top show (in other words, about 70% of the breed standard fits her - theres no such thing as the perfect cat!), then just getting a Grand in CFA may not be enough. There are 9 different regions for CFA and becoming the highest scoring cat in any specific region allows another title of either Regional Winner (RW) or Division Winner (DW). Then there's the big one - which is NW which means National Winner. It does get complicated but in the end, it all depends on your cat and your pocket. And getting these additional titles means you have to show diligently for that particular show year!

It's bit easier for you since your act will be shown as a neuter. There will be no hormonal stresses on the cat! It allows you to take your time in even Granding your cat. You can do a show here - find a six ring and Champion and find another few more shows elsewhere to Grand her and voila! your cat can retire from shows forever!

Be warned though, exhibiting your cat in shows can be addicting!

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is all new to me, but not you're not confusing me
I just have a lot to learn and absolutely appreciate all the input.

I think my main goal really, is to have a cat related hobby, since I adore all cats.
I've never met a cat I didn't like. Animal lover in general, but a cat is never a miss with me. I want to meet and make friends with other cat lovers, and I do like to travel. oh..and it's not so much about the winning but I do like the pretty ribbons! hah

I'll check that link out. Do you have a limited amount of time to get the total score you need for each level? or is it open ended?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No limits on time to get your premier and Grand Premier although once you have achieved your 6 winner ribbons you must file in your Pr claim within two years. In other words, once you get the 6th Winner ribbon, file your claim immediately! There is no time limit to collect your 75 points to Grand. Other titles like RW/DW, must be completed in one Show calender year or 100 rings, which ever comes first!

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many entries is it per show? Like the potential for how many ribbons per show. I guess it varies depending on the show?

Also, I noticed CFA doesnt have individual membership, should I be looking for a regional club to join?