HUGE vibes needed!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope this isn't too long....

We did a roof for a lady who originally lives in Ny but has a property managment company who takes care of the rent and such. Since she's not homestead (living in florida) we had to pay a state certified contractor to pull the permit. We did so... last week... Wed I believe it was...He went and pulled the permit for it and we did the roof on Saturday. I picked up the partial payment for the roof but there is a remaining balance of $594 that she owes us and she said she would mail the check.
Well, today I get a visit (NOT A CALL) to my home from the property management company while I'm in the shower, opening the front door, leaving his card, leaving the gates open, and then left a card in my truck door, and left it open. Jake got out and I had to chase him for 5 blocks! Who in the *&^% is he to come to my house anyways?!
And open my door!
Come to find out, the contractor NEVER pulled the permit for the house. We tried contacting him NUMEROUS times but his phone is disconnected and he doesn't have an "office".
They are threatening to sue us now. I don't have the money to pull another permit since she is refusing to pay me. I don't have the money for rent, truck payment, utilites and even worse.....Christmas!

I'm SOOO stressed out! I can't eat, sleep or relax. My anxiety is SO high I can't settle down. I'm pacing the floors and my heart is racing! These are the type of people that won't take an explaination.
I feel like these people are stalking me. I'm not sure how he got my address anyways. I never gave it to him...AT ALL and the homeowner only have a P.O.Box for us because the teenagers around here steal my mail. The card he left said "You can't keep hiding from us,This WON'T go away"....WTH? How was I hiding? I was in the shower and YOU came in MY house UNINVITED!

PLEASE SEND MAJOR VIBES! I'M LITERALLY ON THE VERGE OF A BREAKDOWN...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alycia, please get an order of protection (like a restraining order- but better) against this guy- take the note he left you to your local police precinct and protect yourself and your family. Be safe sweetheart
/ I'm soo sorry you're going through all of this right now. My prayers go out to you and your family- i'm praying that everything will work itself out so you have $$ for your bills & Christmas. Hang in there ok? Try to calm down too- you're going to do yourself no good by getting all upset- you're only going to make yourself more miserable- I understand that you're stressed- but try to calm down. Once you calm down a bit, then take a deep breath and try to think things through- maybe you will be able to think up something new to help your current situation -or you can always call your mom/dad and ask their opinion. Hang in there sweetie

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dixie, let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do to help.I am praying that this SOB can be found and your money replaced.Hang in there!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.
I think I'm just going to go crawl in a dark corner and cry myself to sleep...Seems to be the only way I've been able to sleep since we started this nightmare of a job

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These things usually work out ok, but in the mean time, I would report the trespassing to the police and get an order keeping them off your property (although if it is your official business address you may have some problems with that), but at least there will be a file open.
I would also report the contractor to the state board for bad business practises, he/they can have their license taken from them for it.
We learned the hard way to make sure we see ALL the paperwork before we start a job (both down there and our office up here)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to find out what your rights are. I would think the contractor has responsibility in this, too. It sounds like somebody's trying to get out of paying the balance owed to you! Don't let their scare tactics get you down.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a jerk!
I hope they catch him. I agree with Nikki, please get a restraining order against him. please be safe!
you will be in my thoughts and prayers. hang in there.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get some NO TRESSPASSING signs also and put them out.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I can't believe that guy!! What a jerk!

Sending all the good vibes in the world to you
Things will get better... they always do

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I would get some NO TRESSPASSING signs also and put them out.
I have them ALL OVER the yard. Along with Beware of Dog Signs... He totally ignored them

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

Please consider taking some form of legal advice, perhaps from something like a citizen's advice board or such.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When a permit is pulled on a job the it has to be posted on the job site... Did they have anything posted?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What would it take for you to become state certified???
I thought too a permit would have to be displayed at the jobsite. Did you pay him for this alredy. Physically find this contractor if he did this to you he may have done this to others.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

When a permit is pulled on a job the it has to be posted on the job site... Did they have anything posted?
No because the homeowner is not homestead and there isn't any major construction going on, all they have to do is have it on file. Not posted on the home. Normally when we do work for a homeowner who IS homestead, we DO post them on the window.

Originally Posted by GailC

What would it take for you to become state certified???
I thought too a permit would have to be displayed at the jobsite. Did you pay him for this alredy. Physically find this contractor if he did this to you he may have done this to others.
We are trying to become state certified but you have to have 5 years of no violations and a $125,000 insurance bond. We are county certified which has less requirements to meet.
DH has been on the phone all morning trying to track the guy down. We heard he was on a jobsite about 15 mins from here and when DH got there, he was gone. When I DO find him.....

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

No because the homeowner is not homestead and there isn't any major construction going on, all they have to do is have it on file. Not posted on the home. Normally when we do work for a homeowner who IS homestead, we DO post them on the window.
Strange.... I work in the construction industry right now and we are required to have permits posted on the job. If it is a small project and there is not a permit box on site, the permit must be posted in a window or someplace similar. I am in Florida so it must be a county thing... but then again, the 3 counties we do work in have the same rules.

Was a Notice of Commencement pulled?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Strange.... I work in the construction industry right now and we are required to have permits posted on the job. If it is a small project and there is not a permit box on site, the permit must be posted in a window or someplace similar. I am in Florida so it must be a county thing... but then again, the 3 counties we do work in have the same rules.

Was a Notice of Commencement pulled?
Yes. The real estate management company was able to sign for her since they have authority over the property. I believe it is a county thing.