Breadmaker rapid cycle

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who on here owns a breadmaker? Have you ever used the rapid cycle? I was thinking it would be useful for bread "emergencies." Like, I didn't have time to make bread last night, so I had to pack my sandwich for lunch on a hamburger bun. DH offered me one of his bagels, but they're store bought, and once your spoiled on homemade bread, you will never want store bought again.

If you have used the rapid cycle, any tips? Was the bread edible? There's only one recipe for it in my instruction book. I have two bread machine cookbooks, but neither contain a single recipe for the rapid cycle.

I'm sure it's not as good as bread on the regular cycle, but for emergencies, it could work.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to hunt up my book for my breadmaker as I haven't used it in a while!!
Mine is a West Bend. It talks about the rapids cycle which shortens the total bread making time by using fast rising or breadmachine yeast which rises faster than regular active dry yeast. My recipes change up the yeast amount used depending on what yeast you are using for what cycle.
So for the rapid cycle you need to use the different yeast.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I just looked at my bread cookbook, and each recipe specifies if it can be used with rapid cycle or not. I have never tried it. If you do, I would love to hear how it works out. If you want a white bread recipe from this book that supposedly works with rapid cycle, send me a PM

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only problem I've ever seen with a rapid cycle on a bread maker is that it may water log your yeast. If this happens your dough won't rise as well and your bread can be tough.

I don't own a bread maker though.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a cycle other than "rapid'?
Seriously, it's the only one I use, especially the whole wheat rapid cycle. I use flour specifically for a bread-maker, and regular yeast, and the bread turns out just great.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I had to hunt up my book for my breadmaker as I haven't used it in a while!!
Mine is a West Bend. It talks about the rapids cycle which shortens the total bread making time by using fast rising or breadmachine yeast which rises faster than regular active dry yeast. My recipes change up the yeast amount used depending on what yeast you are using for what cycle.
So for the rapid cycle you need to use the different yeast.
I use bread machine yeast for all my bread. I don't even have any other yeast in the house

Next time I have a bread emergency, I'll probably try out the recipe that's in my book. If that goes well, I might experiment with other recipes to see if they can adapt.