What is the deal on grasses? (eg: oat and what sprouts)

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never fed a cat grass, but now I see sprout plants especially for cats, wheat and oat sprouts.

Do you any of you grow these grasses/sprouts for your cats?

I'll indulge my cat in anything that she likes if its beneficial.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grow Oat Grass for Prego and Polly. I get my seeds from www.poopsiecat.com. They absolutely love it! From what I read, cats will crave greens. They will normally get a small amount from the belly of their prey, but domestic cats don't have prey.

Go out and buy two small terra cotta pots, a bag of soil and some seeds. It takes about 5 minutes to plant them, and the grass will last about a week before it starts to turn brown. Plant one pot and when the grass grows, put it down for your cat and plant the other. This way you can rotate the pots and always have grass. It's much cheaper to buy pots, seeds and soil than it is to buy those pre-planted things, and it's really easy.

Your cat will love it!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've grown oat and wheat, they seem to prefer the oat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm going to do this. And it doesn't make them urp like lawn grass does, I assume?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MCMaggie

Thanks! I'm going to do this. And it doesn't make them urp like lawn grass does, I assume?
It can if they eat too much, but lawn grass is sharp and can cut up a cat's intestines, whereas the oat and wheat grass has softer edges.

If I didn't keep a steady supply of cat grass in the house I'd have a mutiny on my hands!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MCMaggie

Prego pigged out on grass the first pot I planted and threw it up, but now that it's out all the time, he just has little nibbles and never throws up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found 500 seeds for 99 cents on eBay!

That should get me started