Breeders litter secret

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The breeder I adopted my Maine Coon from suggested using Layena Chicken Crunch for litter (available at your local feed store) . Its flushable, digestable/biodegradable (if ingested during cleaning wont bind their insides) and only cost 9 bucks for a 50 lb bag. She had over 10 cats/kittens in her house and blindfolded you could have never noticed.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hummm, I've tried looking for Chicken layer before and you should see the looks I get at feed stores.
Perhaps I should go in with a list of different brand names next time, I'd sure like to get a giant bag when I move out instead of dealing with the tiny much more expensive ones.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have to look for this also.With 5 cats, litter gets to be pricey.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted about using Chicken feed as cat litter a few month ago. I have been using it with success. I have one box with this and one box with normal cat litter. They seem to use the chicken feed to pee in. Not too much of any odor. It kind of clumps but you know when to change it when you try to scoup and its all crumbly(and an amonia odor). Its a bit lighter in weight so if you fill you boxex full they will scatter it in a wider area!! A 50# bag seems to last a pretty long time too. If you have a farm store such as Tractor Supply (or Fleet Farm in Wisconsin) you can get it there also. I paid about $7/50# bag.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love egg layer crumble or chn layer feed

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

I know this is an old thread but, I have a question...

Do you have insect problems when using chicken feed? I'd like to try and I'm a bit worried about weevils or insects in general...

Anyone???

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been using Chicken Layena for a year or two and have never had a problem with bugs. I used and off brand for a bit, but find the Purina Layena a better grind for litter. The off brand was more like small pellets and a semi-find ground litter. It cost $1.00 more a bag, but is worth it to me.

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
can someone give me a hand?

where can I find chicken layena or purina layena ?

what exactly r feed stores? are there any franchise feed stores that I could find their website and locate them ???

I live in Toronto and I try to google feed stores but all I find is places like 3 hrs away from toronto.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
usually you have to find a more rual area before you can find a feed store. Feed stores are where you'd get your chicken, goat, sheep, horse, cow, etc food, so you're not going to find it in downtown TO.
I'd suggest doing a search around some of the subdivisions of the major city. You could also always call Purina and ask where it's being carried in the area, they might be able to tell you.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They actually have info on their website as to their distributors.

Our Super Walmart carries Family Farm Egg Layer Mash, $9 for 50 pounds and it's good stuff. Nice and light, clumps well. Except like Gail said, you can't shake too hard ot the clumbs fall apart.

No problems with rodents for me, Adilah, and I have my kits in their own house away from our house. I think as long as you store it inside there shouldn't be a problem.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure the walmarts in canada don't carry that type of stuff, at least I've never seen it. They must be SO big in the states!

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont' remember seeing chicken feed in walmart or even petsmart in canada ever.

how come walmart in states has chicken feed? ppl like to keep chicken as pets?

Originally Posted by Sylorna

I'm pretty sure the walmarts in canada don't carry that type of stuff, at least I've never seen it. They must be SO big in the states!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hareting

I dont' remember seeing chicken feed in walmart or even petsmart in canada ever.

how come walmart in states has chicken feed? ppl like to keep chicken as pets?
No chicken feed at Walmart in my city! Maybe it is more in rural areas where there is lots of farming.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My walmart just started carring it but it is not a all natural brand and I wont use it ...

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
anyone of you use a corncob chicken feed? i found 1 feed store that's about 1 hr away from toronto and he told me i can get corncob chicken feed for $12 / 40lb bag. but then he said it won't clump.

but i remember reading from another thread that ppl say corn cob do clump??

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you need to be careful as to what you're getting. Had that problem myself when I tried to find it (and am pretty convinced you can't get the right stuff in Ontario). The lady sold me cracked corn for feeding chickens, which was big chunks of corn that had been dried and broken.
I donated the bag to the local wildlife conservatory so they could feed the birds.

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found one company that carries the bed-o-cob made by anderson company, it is sold to labs to use as animal bedding and they are 1/8" size,
as they supply it to labs, i suppose it should be quite safe and clean.

I just want to find out if they'd clump or not......

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think any corn cob litters clump.

I used chicken feed of some sort. Started sneezing & it took me over a month to figure out....it was the chicken feed!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I know the presidents choice litter clumps and it's made from corn cobs, but I really don't think it's the same thing