My Christmas Dilemma

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh the christmas dilemmas.. My daughter is 4 years old,, will be 5 in may. Well the big thing is the American Girl Dolls. My neice has one and is getting another one this year. But there soo expensive. Like $102 dollars for one doll.. I just don't know if she is ready for it. She has a bitty baby,, but that's not the same for her.. She wants a AG doll. But I only buy one big expensive christmas present with lots of little presents,, and right now, I'm struggling between the Ariel Vanity set, and the AG doll. I asked her what she wants and well she keeps changing her mind, and she wants them both. She's an only child, and I spoil her badly,, but I told myself I would not spend as much this year..

I don't know what to do
.. I want her to believe in Santa Claus and I know she is gonna ask him for both items... Uggggggggghhhhh...

What would you do???

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell her that Santa can only bring one of those things for her since he has to stuff so much into his bag so that every child gets something so she must be fair to everyone and tell him what she wants more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried that,, she got me with it's a magic bag,, and it'll grow to any size that Santa Claus needs.. She watchs alot of SC movies..

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to lean that way............ Oh the whispers I'll hear at work,, about how I buy to much for my child...

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was little, I barely got anything on my Christmas list, I got other stuff that I guess my parents found cheaper, but I just figured it was because santa couldn't make/get that stuff!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do one now and one for her B-day!!! That's alot of $$$ for Christmas.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I would do one now and one for her B-day!!! That's alot of $$$ for Christmas.
Thats a great idea - maybe get her the Vanity set now, and then get her the AG doll for her bday?

I love the AG dolls - I have every single AG book, she'll love those when she's older

And about your coworkers - who cares if they say anything about how much you spend on YOUR daughter! They are just jeleous that they aren't that spoiled and loved by you!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard not to spoil the onlies! If you pick just one gift, I believe your daughter is old enough for an American Girl doll. If she likes dolls, she'll play with it for a long time. The accessories are endless, so for birthdays (and from relatives) she can get clothes and furniture that will keep her playing with the doll. Later, she'll learn to do braids and fix the doll's hair, and maybe even make clothes or hats for her.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We hardly ever got what was on our letters to Santa, but I never really thought about it. I don't know about your daughter but I could never even remember what I wrote on mine!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would only get one big gift...Just because my niece is very spoiled, she literally gets everything on her list..I don't really think its right for kids to get everything they ask for...thats just MO

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don't get everything they ask for either. $$$ don't grow on trees.
We let them pick out 2 things and then we decide which one to get.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the one now and one for the birthday. I would lean toward the American Girl doll first I think. Christmas has always been a holiday where I imagine little girls unwrapping beautiful dolls.

As far as the American Girl dolls go however....

I never read the books myself, but I had heard of them. Brian and I were at an outdoor mall here in LA about a month or so ago called The Grove and they had just opened up a 2 story American Girl store. They had red carpet and a concierge out front. There were little girls coming out of the store with a doll under each arm! And their parents were carrying EXTRA BAGS!! Can you imagine the $$$ they are making???

Unable to not be super curious we went in after the crowd calmed down about a week later. This store is like a museum. Not only that, but it has it OWN museum. Plus they do live shows, have tea parties with real food that you have to make reservations for, etc... It's crazy! I'll see if they have a website...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would buy the AG doll for her...and just a few small things to go with it. I wouldn't get both big presents, i would spend some time telling her about the true meaning of Christmas and the holiday season- and let her pick out a few small presents maybe at your local dollar store- let her pick them out and wrap them (with a little help from mommy) and let her give the gift to another needy child- I would teach her how fun it is to give (the gift for another child her age) and to recieve (the AG doll for her) so that she understands the true joys of the holiday season

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 5 year old neice got an Amercian doll for Christmas last year and she sits on a shelf and never gets played with.
I buy my 16 year old DD porcelin dolls every year!She's not asked for an American doll.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

I agree with the one now and one for the birthday. I would lean toward the American Girl doll first I think. Christmas has always been a holiday where I imagine little girls unwrapping beautiful dolls.

As far as the American Girl dolls go however....

I never read the books myself, but I had heard of them. Brian and I were at an outdoor mall here in LA about a month or so ago called The Grove and they had just opened up a 2 story American Girl store. They had red carpet and a concierge out front. There were little girls coming out of the store with a doll under each arm! And their parents were carrying EXTRA BAGS!! Can you imagine the $$$ they are making???

Unable to not be super curious we went in after the crowd calmed down about a week later. This store is like a museum. Not only that, but it has it OWN museum. Plus they do live shows, have tea parties with real food that you have to make reservations for, etc... It's crazy! I'll see if they have a website...
Your right it's like a following of children... It's a big thing around here too.. Lunch and Teas,, the whole works,, but you hav eto go to Chicago to the store for the real stuff...

I've been thinking about getting her a AG look alike and see how she does with it.. If she is able to take care of it.. Then I'll get her the real one next year...

Does that seem fair?? or mean?? I don't know.. I can't talk to any of my coworkers, they are so backwoodish that they kids should get clothes and no toys. But that's just not what I think about Christmas... That's just me..

I don't know.. My husband wants the PS3,, a $600 dollar system
for Christmas,, now that's alot of money,, so I shouldn't honestly feel bad about buy her an AG doll and her vanity, with other stuff... I don't know.. I'm more confused as they days go by...

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was 4 I wanted a cabbage patch doll. They were very expensive at the time and my mom made me a homemade cabbage patch doll instead. She even made a couple of matching dresses for me and the doll. One of which I will never forget because it was out of green satin she got on sale.

Point is ... I loved that doll and carried her everywhere for several years and still have her to this day. I could be wrong and children are more label conscious now, but at 4 years old???