How many of you have a waterbed???

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband got a beautiful King Size waterbed as a gift when he graduated high school and we loved sleeping on it! That was before we had Madden and Pooch was just a pup! When we moved into this house last year, we didn't think we had the room so we've had it in storage. Well this weekend we re-arranged the bedroom and decided that even if it takes up more than half the room (and it will) we're moving it in anyway!!
It has to be the most comfortable bed in the world!! Pooch now weighs 65 pounds, and of course we have Madden to think about...Daisy dosen't worry me, I don't think that all six pounds of her could do any damage!

I plan on just keeping extra blankets on the bed, and of course it will be all made up during the day, and I'm sure this will be enough to protect it but I need some reassurance! Madden is not a digger, and hardly ever kneads and Pooch just hops up and flops down so I think we'll be alright, but tell me if I'm wrong!

Tell me how you protect your waterbed mattress from kitty claws!!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

My husband got a beautiful King Size waterbed as a gift when he graduated high school and we loved sleeping on it! That was before we had Madden and Pooch was just a pup! When we moved into this house last year, we didn't think we had the room so we've had it in storage. Well this weekend we re-arranged the bedroom and decided that even if it takes up more than half the room (and it will) we're moving it in anyway!!
It has to be the most comfortable bed in the world!! Pooch now weighs 65 pounds, and of course we have Madden to think about...Daisy dosen't worry me, I don't think that all six pounds of her could do any damage!

I plan on just keeping extra blankets on the bed, and of course it will be all made up during the day, and I'm sure this will be enough to protect it but I need some reassurance! Madden is not a digger, and hardly ever kneads and Pooch just hops up and flops down so I think we'll be alright, but tell me if I'm wrong!

Tell me how you protect your waterbed mattress from kitty claws!!
Invest in SoftPaws

I found out the hard way at 3 in the morning...I thought I wet the bed
and then thought "Wait! That's not warm. It's cold! OH NO!"
Sure enough, they poppped it....TWICE! I gave up

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had my waterbed for about 6 years, with no problems when it comes to the kitties! But, it's not one of the free-flow ones...it's got the tubing in it, so that may have something to do with it. It's heated and I love it! ......and so do the cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, ours isn't free-flowing either its the Baffled kind....98 percent I think. I love it so much, and I know the fur-kids will too, just got to make sure they can co-habitate peacefully!

Dixiedarlin, I hope that this turns out to be the one and only thing that we don't have in common!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a queen sized water bed. The mattress is a top of the line baffled one that limits movement which is nice.

I have 2 cats and trim their nails and both sleep in the bed with me. I haven't had any puncture holes from them.

I do recommend that you have a water bed repair kit on hand though, just in case.

Also, make sure that when you fill the bed you put some water preservative in it to prevent algae growth! And if you have to add water in the future that you also add more water preservative. And it's important to add the preservative every 6 months as part of maintenance.

I've had a water bed since 1981 and TBH I'm actually thinking of changing to a normal queen sized bed because I'm tired of maintaining it (adding water, removing air, washing the bladder, cleaning between the lining and side boards etc. Plus I haven't moved my bedroom around in more than 10 years and I'm due for a change. Then there is the set up and dismantling when moving!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Invest in SoftPaws

I found out the hard way at 3 in the morning...I thought I wet the bed
and then thought "Wait! That's not warm. It's cold! OH NO!"
Sure enough, they poppped it....TWICE! I gave up
lol..that is tooo funny!!!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol cats and water beds are soooo much fun!!!!

my old kitty used to jump on it and ride the wave, and hiss at the bed,, once it stopped moving she would jump up on the book shelf and do it all over again

and yea, i had to patch it a few times.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had a waterbed (double) since February 1978, and at least one cat since April 1978. I patched a seam split in about 1980. That bed is in our spare bedroom now, and Rob and I use the one that he bought in 1981 after making the acquaintance of mine -- that one is a queen. They are both the original style waterbag -- nothing fancy. And all you need to do to protect it from kitties is to make sure that you don't let them in the room when the mattress is exposed -- the bubbles are just too tempting. That was the advice I received from the guy who delivered and installed mine in 1978.

I don't even worry about it being fully made up. We have a regular mattress pad on it, and a sheepskin, and then the sheets, and if there's a cat in the way of making it properly, I don't bother. It's fine.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a king sized waterbed that we have had for almost 20 years. This is our second mattress and it is over 10 yrs old. I have patched it several times LOL but not due to my kitties. It has the baffles, but since my hubby is quite large, he still almost throws me out of bed when he gets in.

When we got the bed, we had put a really nice one on lay-away. We were lucky. When the bed was delivered it was not the one we ordered but a better one. The next day, the company went out of business. They were taking pmts on lay-away right up until they closed their doors. We did not get mattress pad nor sheets that we ordered, but at least we got the bed!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have a waterbed and then I got a cat that had super-strong pokey claws- he could pierce a hole in that waterbed matress through a mattress pad, sheets and a comforter! this was also way before I knew about trimming claws though, but since then I have had a regular mattress

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a waterbed until it broke a couple months ago now I just have a twin bed. I am never having a water bed again..it's too much of a pain.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had a waterbed for years, longer than I have had cats. I have never had an issue with it.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had a water bed again.
I always had one growing up-and would love to again....but DH says he cant sleep on one, so guess I have to just keep wanting.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Dixiedarlin, I hope that this turns out to be the one and only thing that we don't have in common!!
No, the ONE thing we don't. I ended up just tossing mine the last time they popped it. We've moved on to a California King