kitten eyes

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
alrighty. the kits have come to the time of their eyes opening. one has both opened almost all the way, and then another one does also. but only has one.. we saw the other one when we first started noticing the eyes. but now.. it is closed with this sorta small small crusty stuff on it.. and when we tried to open it slighty with a warm cotton ball.. it looked like there was liquid coming out.. so we stopped.. is this signs of infection? i hope not. any advice is greatly appreciated.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It definitely sounds like an infection. Keep soaking it and trying to get it to drain and ask the vet about some goo to put in it. Keep all hands clean that touch the kittens as they are very susceptable to infection.
My vet gave me Vetropolycin which is bacitracin-neomycin-polymyxin veterinary ophthalmic ointment. It cleared up Smeagol's eyes in less than a week and his were awful.
Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its really hard to tell. cause the kitten is black. me and my friend are about to try and get some better light and drain it.. but momma isnt likin it to much. cause she squeals her head off.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Momma won't like it but it is best for the kitten to get as much of the infection out of the eye before she loses her eye entirely - she may have already. I would suggest that you get this baby in to see a vet as soon as you can.

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok well. we got it cleaned. and we sorta brushed its eye.. and as the crust was coming off it was pulling pus out.. :'( i was able to gentley pull it out. and got her eye free. but it is barely open and looked almost red. but it was hard to tell cause it was closed.. im scared.. and i really dont have to money to take her to the vet right now.. i get paid this weekend, and they have a app set up thursday at 3.. :'(

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HI there,

it seems like I have a lot of experience with eye problems with kittens. If the liquid is anything but clear ie. yellow or green, that is a good sign of infection.

Have you noticed the kitten sneezing or coughing or has the kitten had and booger-like problems with his nose? If you've noticed any of these symptoms on top of the eye problems, I would definately recommend taking a trip to the vet.

My kittens seem to have watery eyes that once and a while get a little crusty. The last time this happened to me (back with Yen's kittens) the vet told me to gently with warm water dampen the crusty area, but don't really "wipe" it. THe water should soften up the build up and the kitten should open their eye(s) on their own.

I think if it continues despite regular cleaning or presents any other symptoms, it definately calls for a vet trip.

I wish you and your kitty health and goodluck!

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
alrighty. thanks a bunch. but there was pus attached to the crust.. but yes. i am taking all of them to vet thursday.. none of them have been showing any weird sighs. e.g. sneezing or boogers.. so idk. we shall just have to see.

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how are the eyes looking? I know you're not taking them to the vet until tomorrow, but I was wondering if there was any improvement

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
some improvement yes. its not as had to get that kittens eye clean. but i have no noticed this. the other black and white kitten. which more than likely came from the same father.. is also starting to have problems with the same eye...
we are going tomorrow to check up.. ahh! it makes me so sad. hope it doesnt happen to all the others.. and yes lately.. i have been hearing a lot of sneezing..

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sneezing and eye drips aren't a good sign....because that could mean infection in their respitory system, which in turn, if not taken care of soon enough, can lead to more serious problem, as it did with my first kittens.

Please keep us updated on how things go!

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ohhh noooo
that is how my two kittens died. They had really really severe upper respiritory infections. They were orphaned and we think that is why. I think the mom knew they wouldn't make it. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease make sure you treat it early!!!! My poor sweet Sassy died before she could open her eyes and see the world.

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
all these messages scare me..
the trip went actually very good. the doc was very surprised at how healthy they were.. they were weighing good and all sqealing, most of them have there eyes open.. but i made sure she knew about the eyes problems.. and she said she noticed crust.. but she just told me to clean it off at every chance it came up.. but nothing serious in it.. but she was so proud of how well i was doing. and i just had to give this site some "props" i would have been lost with out it.. so yea.. but we had a BAD flea problem. that was the only thing she was worried about.. which im pretty sure i fixed today.. i gave every single kitten a bath, and put them on a new fresh blanket.. even gave momma a bath.. which she wasnt to happy with that.. and then my other cat.. everyone is flea free..

but that one kitten just worries me. i gave her the bath and noticed the crust.. so i tried to soften it before her bath.. and as i was washing her the eyes starting opening but that pus looking stuff still came.. but i was told this was natural.. and i havent heard a single sneeze since yesterday.. so idk..

forever_urs8019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh, and ilovesiamese.. hehe.. i have 2 siamese kittens.. of course not full breed.. but they have very dominant blood in them.. and my all white kitten. Boo. lol. has a little grey tail and one black ear now.. just thought i would shear that.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties aren't registered (adults), but I don't really care about that stuff because they look just as siamese to me as any other out there (sorry to the breeders). SIamese kittens normally born white (I'm pretty sure) and then they develope colour points later. Right now, I've got a variety of looks. Some red, dark brown colours, this bluish grey colour...I need to post pics in the breeders section to figure exactly what.

I'm glad to hear that your vet visit went well. If you are truely worried about one of them, I would get a second opinion.

See I took in a pregnant queen last febuary and she had two kittens. They both started with the eye problems, then the sneezing (within a week) and I took them to the vets and the vet told me to make sure I cleaned the eyes regulary and all it took was a couple days and then one passed during the night and the other was put to sleep. I don't say this to scare you, but only to show you want can happen, even when you are doing everything you can. Just make sure to watch them ever so carefully and if you really do get worried, please go back.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by forever_urs8019

all these messages scare me..
the trip went actually very good. the doc was very surprised at how healthy they were.. they were weighing good and all sqealing, most of them have there eyes open.. but i made sure she knew about the eyes problems.. and she said she noticed crust.. but she just told me to clean it off at every chance it came up.. but nothing serious in it.. but she was so proud of how well i was doing. and i just had to give this site some "props" i would have been lost with out it.. so yea.. but we had a BAD flea problem. that was the only thing she was worried about.. which im pretty sure i fixed today.. i gave every single kitten a bath, and put them on a new fresh blanket.. even gave momma a bath.. which she wasnt to happy with that.. and then my other cat.. everyone is flea free..

but that one kitten just worries me. i gave her the bath and noticed the crust.. so i tried to soften it before her bath.. and as i was washing her the eyes starting opening but that pus looking stuff still came.. but i was told this was natural.. and i havent heard a single sneeze since yesterday.. so idk..
Oh, Please be very careful with bathing!!!! They are too little, and with eye colds and sneezing they can get cold and then be very sick! Make sure you have them very dry! If you have a heating pad, put it on low and put the kittens in a box (if they are not) and put the box on the pad, put a couple towels in it, too many and they wont get the heat from the pad. Also, get a sockl fill it with rice and put it under the towels too, and cover the top of the box a little to keep the heat in. If you don't have rice now, use a soda bottle and fill it with hot water and place it under the blankets to keep them warm (just make sure that the bottle wont roll and pin a kitten under it.) I am worried that they will get a chill, and it will not be good if they do, so just keep them warm and keep the eyes clean. Next time if you notice fleas, it's a little more work, but atleast they wont catch a chill, use a small tooth flea comvb and pick at the fleas as best as you can, use a cup with HOT soapy water to dip the comb in with the flea on it, and then dry the comb before useing it again, at such a young age, even getting them wet with the flea comb can cause them to get a chill. (the good thing with the bath was they were in warm water and then put in a towel to dry, where as with the comb, they are wet in the air for a little while, so they should be ok, but please try to get a rice sock in there with them.