Canned allergy food?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would really like to find Damita a canned food that won't set off her allergies. I guess I can keep her on the dry z/d & introduce a canned food first(hopefully feeding her canned only in the future). Thoughts on this one?

California Natural Venison & Brown Rice canned
Venison, Fish Broth, Herring, Ground Brown Rice, Egg, Flaxseed, Sunflower Oil, Guar Gum, Taurine, Vitamins/Minerals
Brown rice is less likely to be the cause of an allergy, right?

I was feeding her Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken, so I am thinking her allergy is to chicken for sure. I know the Nature's Logic rabbit has chicken as the 3rd ingredient, so I was avoiding that dry. The other dry I am leaning towards in Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea. Otherwise, I don't really see any other options! I am a little upset over the fact that there are several differerent dog allergy foods, but really only the one Natural balance cat allergy food. No allergy treats for cats, either!

Just sorta thinking out loud...again.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The "Cowboy Cookout" formula of Merrick has no chicken, as well as the "Surf and Turf", the Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal formula is really tasty (it's one of my cats faves in terms of canned food) and has no chicken, and I am almost certain that there are many types of Evangers canned that are chicken free too, but having never seen it in person I don't know for sure!

Yes, brown rice is less likely to be an allergen, as is oatmeal. I think you should seriously consider the Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal formula, at least in rotation with the Cal. Natural, as it's also limited ingredients.

Good luck!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best food for an allergic cat is rabbit (or so my vet told me.)
If you know she can't have chicken, then the venison is probably also okay.

Nature's Logic and Nature's Variety Prairie both make a canned 'rabbit' food. Too bad Gizmo won't eat either one. She really hates wet food unless it's tuna.

I give her the rabbit kibble from Nature's Logic.

Both brands are equally good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

The best food for an allergic cat is rabbit (or so my vet told me.)
If you know she can't have chicken, then the venison is probably also okay.

Nature's Logic and Nature's Variety Prairie both make a canned 'rabbit' food. Too bad Gizmo won't eat either one. She really hates wet food unless it's tuna.

I give her the rabbit kibble from Nature's Logic.

Both brands are equally good.
That's what I've been really considering, but the Nature's Logic Rabbit has chicken as the 3rd ingredient!

Julia, I will go check out Eagle Pack Duck & Oatmeal. I dont' know for sure what Damita's allergies are to, so I am guessing, which doesn't make picking a food any easier!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The canned Nature's Logic has no chicken. The dry food has chicken in it but Gizmo won't eat the only other dry rabbit (Royal Canin Rabbit and Pea had her barfing pea soup, and I figured it's better to let her have a little chicken.)

If you get the canned foods, it's pure rabbit.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

The "Cowboy Cookout" formula of Merrick has no chicken, as well as the "Surf and Turf", the Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal formula is really tasty (it's one of my cats faves in terms of canned food) and has no chicken, and I am almost certain that there are many types of Evangers canned that are chicken free too, but having never seen it in person I don't know for sure!

Yes, brown rice is less likely to be an allergen, as is oatmeal. I think you should seriously consider the Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal formula, at least in rotation with the Cal. Natural, as it's also limited ingredients.

Good luck!
The canned Eagle Pack Duck & Oatmeal might be a possibility....
Duck, Duck Broth, Oatmeal, Egg Product, Peas, Carrots, Potatoes, Guar Gun, Brewers Dried Yeast, Flaxseed, Carrageenan, Potassium Chloride, Cranberry Powder, Flaxseed, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Salt, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamins & Minerals

Merrick's Cowboy Cookout might be an option, but if I am remembering right, sharky told me sweet potatos are often an allergen. Beef is a good choice for an allergy food, if I am remembering right.

Surf & Turf is Merrick's "new" food, right? If that is the case, no one here eats it.

Why couldn't this just be simple? I had thought there were more "simple" foods out there without a hundred thousand ingredients!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

The canned Nature's Logic has no chicken. The dry food has chicken in it but Gizmo won't eat the only other dry rabbit (Royal Canin Rabbit and Pea had her barfing pea soup, and I figured it's better to let her have a little chicken.)

If you get the canned foods, it's pure rabbit.
Thanks for pointing that out! I never did check the ingredients in the canned(until now).
Rabbit, Water Sufficient for Processing, Rabbit Liver, Egg Product, Animal Plasma, Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite, Cottage Cheese, Brewers Yeast, Cod Liver Oil, Egg Shell, Apple, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Tomato Powder, Parsley, Blueberry, Cranberry, Apricots, Spinach, Artichoke, Broccoli, Carrots, Pumpkin, Kelp, Chicory Root, Rosemary.
Man, its expensive, though! Should've know it would be...

I think I need some more caffiene before I start thinking about this again...my head is spinning!

ETA: What's the texture of the Nature's Logic Rabbit?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just found another option... on petfooddirect.com....Cacnine Caviar makes a Beaver flavored food!
At first I laughed, but it is supposed to be an allergen free food... They also make a venison tripe.

However, I would need to supplement...

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding treats, who says you have to give your cat "official" kitty treats? Surely she'd like some plain cooked meat, of a sort she can tolerate, or some fish flakes? Some cats like weird things like butter, too; and I know one cat who loves licking ice cubes!

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I just found another option... on petfooddirect.com....Cacnine Caviar makes a Beaver flavored food!
At first I laughed, but it is supposed to be an allergen free food... They also make a venison tripe.

However, I would need to supplement...
I'd heard of this beaver food, but have yet to see it! *goes to check it out*

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would like to add some other not completes

Wysongs au jus ... beef , rabbit

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, if I feed an incomplete food like the beaver canned stuff & then the dry z/d(50/50), would I be "covering all my bases" in terms of the necessary supplements Damita needs?

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nature's Balance makes Venison & Green pea canned food which is non allergenic. You can find it at Petco or order it online. I'm not sure who else carries it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lndscpsam

Nature's Balance makes Venison & Green pea canned food which is non allergenic. You can find it at Petco or order it online. I'm not sure who else carries it.
I'm about to place my order. I'm just going to get the Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea dry as well as the canned formula. After 8 weeks of that, I might consider adding another canned food, but for now I'll just stick with NB.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other "just meat" to consider - evangers has canned buffalo, rabbit and pheasant. Sharky mentioned Wysong, and another member mentioned Canine Caviar for canned beaver.

If you do a search for single protein canned foods, you should be able to bring up some listings.

As for treats, if you know what your cat isn't allergic to, consider one of the single protein freeze-dried treats i.e. Wildside Salmon is freeze dried wild alaskan salmon, whole life pet treats has cod, Grandma Lucy's has mahi-mahi, ocean white fish (pollock) and tuna, kitty kaviar is shaved bonito (a kind of tuna) and there are more out there.