Music Therapy - any ideas?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of buying my cousin's Christmas present. She is in college for Music Therapy, and all she wants this year is stuff that pertains to her major, and stuff she will be able to use this year on her internship. She is currently working a lot with young children who are autistic.

She told me that she wants some books that come with CDs, as she is a music major, she has to incorporate music into the therapy. (Hence the Music Therapy
)

Does anyone know where I can get some cheap good books that come with Cds? Or anything else that would be of good use to her major?

Thank you!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think that you could get musical books anywhere, Walmart, Target, etc for a low price.

All I can remember from a Music Therapy visit was a kickball with music played in the background. But these were for adults with Alzheimer's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I would think that you could get musical books anywhere, Walmart, Target, etc for a low price.

All I can remember from a Music Therapy visit was a kickball with music played in the background. But these were for adults with Alzheimer's.
Thats true... I haven't been in that aisle of those stores forever, so I wasn't sure what their selections were like?
She just told me that Amazon.com has used books like that for cheap, so hopefully I'll be able to find something good!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

You know what might be cool? If you got her a couple recorders that she can take on visits. They run from $5-10 apiece.
Oh thats a great idea!

I want to get her some books, but also some other fun things that she could use, but I'm just not sure what.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our niece is a music therapist. I'm going to drop her an email tonight and ask if she has any suggestions. I'll let you know what she has to say.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Our niece is a music therapist. I'm going to drop her an email tonight and ask if she has any suggestions. I'll let you know what she has to say.
Thank you SO very much!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Kirsten didn't have any specific suggestions, but she did say "I would recommend this writer check out Empire Music online - they have a huge selection of instruments, books and CD's which are very reasonably priced, and they offer free delivery. I get all my instruments from them!" I hope you'll find some ideas there.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, any kind of percussion instruments you can get your hands on will be extremely appreciated by any music therapist, especially one who works with kids.

Percussion is almost ALWAYS used in both therapeutic and educational settings. In fact, I'm taking a Topics in Music Ed class as an elective and the topic is African Drumming! Apparently, we're just going to sit in a circle and drum for two hours every week which sounds AWESOME!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Hi! Kirsten didn't have any specific suggestions, but she did say "I would recommend this writer check out Empire Music online - they have a huge selection of instruments, books and CD's which are very reasonably priced, and they offer free delivery. I get all my instruments from them!" I hope you'll find some ideas there.
Thank you so very much for that, I'm off to check it out now!

Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Also, any kind of percussion instruments you can get your hands on will be extremely appreciated by any music therapist, especially one who works with kids.

Percussion is almost ALWAYS used in both therapeutic and educational settings. In fact, I'm taking a Topics in Music Ed class as an elective and the topic is African Drumming! Apparently, we're just going to sit in a circle and drum for two hours every week which sounds AWESOME!
Wow, that does sound awesome!! Thanks for the idea! :bigthumb