Where should I start?

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I want to try switching food but I'm not sure where to start. My main reason is because I think all three cats are pooping way more than normal. 2 Poops a day right? With three cats that should be about 6 poops but I swear everyday there is more like 8-12

Right now here is what they get:

Maui- Adult Authority dry in the am & pm, 1/2 can adult Nutro in the pm
Kittens: Kitten Authority dry in am & pm, split a 3 oz can kitten Nutro in the pm

I'm assuming the Authority is probably the issue. I'd like to keep costs down but I don't have a problem buying a better dry food. Canned food adds up really fast but at least a bag of dry lasts a bit.

What direction do you think I should go? Any recommended brands to help with too much poo!?!?

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just a guess, but it might be the amount you are feeding them. How much dry are you feeding them twice a day? My cats get 1-1/2 scoops of food twice a day....no more. By "scoop", I'm referring to the little scoops that come with powdered iced tea or powdered kool-aid.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every animal is different ...

Before a food switch try a vet visit to rule out paritsites , thyroid or digestive issues ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

This is just a guess, but it might be the amount you are feeding them. How much dry are you feeding them twice a day? My cats get 1-1/2 scoops of food twice a day....no more. By "scoop", I'm referring to the little scoops that come with powdered iced tea or powdered kool-aid.
Wow I probably am feeding them way too much then! I use a measuring cup to scoop- I think it's a 1/4c but I'll have to double check when I get home. I usually give them each a hefty scoop in the am & pm. I also leave their food out all the time which probably results in more frequent pooing. At each feeding time their dry food is always just about gone, not completely though.

I"ll check what measuring cup I use- it was just a spare and I needed something to scoop with, I didn't pick it out for the specific measurement.

myndnbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I think it may be the Authority. I feed Authority for a year up until two weeks ago I switched because I free feed and it use to take my cat kids a month to go through a big bag and about a months and a half ago they started going through the big bag in two weeks. And had more poo in the boxes. I dont know what it could be with it but it is something different about it. They now eat Chicken soup and are doing great on it.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by myndnbabies

Hi I think it may be the Authority. I feed Authority for a year up until two weeks ago I switched because I free feed and it use to take my cat kids a month to go through a big bag and about a months and a half ago they started going through the big bag in two weeks. And had more poo in the boxes. I dont know what it could be with it but it is something different about it. They now eat Chicken soup and are doing great on it.
I thought about Chicken Soup- I am pretty sure our Petsmart sells it plus other stores around here can sell it which would be a lot easier than having to go to Psmart all the time.

I checked and this is what they are getting:

Maui (almost 10#'s last month): 1/2c adult Authority in both the am & pm, 1/2 can of adult Nutro- pm only

Kittens: (not sure exactly but definitley 2-4#'s, not quite 12 weeks): 1/4c kitten Authority in both the am & pm, split a 3oz can of kitten Nutro in the pm

Does this seem like too much food? If not then I guess I'll have to change- I suppose I will give Chicken Soup a shot!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No it doesnt look like too much food ...

TALK with YOUR VET

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One and a half little tea scoops sounds like a terribly small amount of food to me but I guess the poster has living breathing cats so they must be living on it. I serve a lot more food than that.

I also get a lot of poo in the litter box but I have kittens and figure it's part of them being kittens. My big girl doesn't go as much but I feed her pretty well too. Today I fed her too much and she simply turned it down. I am taking medication and just plain got stupid....but she wasn't.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

No it doesnt look like too much food ...

TALK with YOUR VET
There is no need to talk with my vet yet. They were all just in there 12 days ago and got a clean bill of health. I was scooping just as much poo then as I am now. If I felt there was any cause for concern I would take them in, no questions asked.

All I am asking about is food!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was suggesting a vet since that amount of pooping is double normal and sounded like worms but IF the vet took a stool sample and that is ruled out ..... The foods they are eating are good and seem to be in the proper amount s ... I would suggest finding a single meat single grain food and testing that ... My two are on very different diets and poop once occationally twice a day( note kitten under 6 months poop alot)

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I was suggesting a vet since that amount of pooping is double normal and sounded like worms but IF the vet took a stool sample and that is ruled out ..... The foods they are eating are good and seem to be in the proper amount s ... I would suggest finding a single meat single grain food and testing that ... My two are on very different diets and poop once occationally twice a day( note kitten under 6 months poop alot)
I didn't necessarily know that about kittens under 6 months.... that may just be our problem!!!!! I suppose now that I think about it I do scoop out a ton of little poops and only a few Maui sized poo's....

I will continue to keep an eye on them and of course I will take them in if I think anything is wrong. The kittens will be going in soon to be neutered so I will have her take a fecal sample then just to make doubley sure, they will also be getting re-tested for FelV & FIV.

Anyway- thanks! I suppose I will keep their food the same for now since everyone is doing well, aside from being little turd factories. If I switch I'll probably try Chicken Soup.

Anyway- thanks again!