Are you a Yankee or a Rebel?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There have been a few threads lately that I thought of when I saw this, so I just HAD to post it.

Especially the NASCAR rebel flag issue and the nickname for soft drinks (on this test the "tonic" answer turns out to be called that ONLY by people in Massachusetts - well, at least I'm not COMPLETELY alone in calling it that! LOL!

My answer turned out to be: 19% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom! So I guess every gal has a little southern belle in her.

I still maintain that I'm NOT a Yank, since A.) I'm not British, and B.) My predecedents emigrated to the USA after the Civil War was over, LOL...

So - what about YOU? Are you a Yankee or a Rebel? Take this quiz and find out!

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My score: 15% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom! (Not really surprising, since I'm actually a Canucklehead.
) I have to say, though ... Drive-thru liquour stores? Seriously?!?

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

My score: 15% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke of Yankeedom! (Not really surprising, since I'm actually a Canucklehead.
) I have to say, though ... Drive-thru liquour stores? Seriously?!?
I live in Kentucky and they do have drive-thru liquour stores. I know I have stopped at a few of them. Actually the first time I drove through a drive through was at a liquour store. I bought me some smirnoff and I ended up going home from my friends house and I forgot my stuff and she drunk it plus my stuff for mixed drinks. I don't bring alcohol home but I had not intended on leaving as early as I did but she was getting on my nerves.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
70% Dixie! Just below the Mason Dixon. Makes sense. I grew up in the south but have picked up a lot from my yankee parents!

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
63% Dixie, well Under the Mason Dixon Line!

That wasn't all that shocking since I grew up in NC, went to school in SC...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
100% Dixie. Is General Lee your grandfather?!

lol...that was fun.
lol, i think it's safe to say i'm a Rebel

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
100% Dixie. Is General Lee your grandfather?! What can I say I was raised on a farm in Kentucky. Too bad you can hear me say winder or piller slip

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

100% Dixie. Is General Lee your grandfather?! What can I say I was raised on a farm in Kentucky. Too bad you can hear me say winder or piller slip
My husband was born and raised in KY too, and he says pilla, winda and Cincinnata.(among others)Translation: pillow, window and Cincinnati

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL too funny - I'm hoping DixieDarlin takes this test - I'm willing to bet she gets 100%!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

My husband was born and raised in KY too, and he says pilla, winda and Cincinnata.(among others)Translation: pillow, window and Cincinnati
And I bet when talking about Louisville he says Louyvull (best spelling for that)

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
59%! That's a surprise. I've lived in Illinois my whole life. Course, my Mom & her entire family are from the south; I guess a lot of it's rubbed off.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also say over yonder and I put down that I call a crawdad that but I actually call it a crawdaddy
and I was working one night at the other nursing home and me and Jimmy was getting ready to change someone and I told him to get me a piller slip and he said what, and I said a piller slip and he said what did you say and by then I was irriatated and I said a piller slip ***** and he just fell over laughing and said he heard me he just wanted me to say it again. Talk about nearly hitting a person.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
70% Dixie.Well under the Mason-Dixon Line

I have a lot of southern roots. I mapped out my ancestor migrations and almost all came up from the southern regions - Virginia/North Carolina into Kentucky and Tennessee. I only know of one who came the northern way and he was the last of my ancestors to emigrate to the US (from England 1830s) and he refused to eat corn on the cob. Only hogs did that.

A friend pointed out I am the only person who pronounced "aunt" two different ways. If I am referring to a specific person I say my "Awnt So-and-So" visited. Otherwise I just say my "Ant visited".

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I bet when talking about Louisville he says Louyvull (best spelling for that)
"Loo-a-vull" best I can tell.
Which is farther north than me!

You should here all the ways I can hear "oil" pronounced around her. My fave is "erl".