Okay I have a baking question

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I baked a cake last night and it was in the 13x9 pan and it turned out great but I like making the 9x9 layer cakes but the last time I did it the top lay split when ever I put it on the bottom layer and got ready to put the icing on it. What am I doing wrong?

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

I baked a cake last night and it was in the 13x9 pan and it turned out great but I like making the 9x9 layer cakes but the last time I did it the top lay split when ever I put it on the bottom layer and got ready to put the icing on it. What am I doing wrong?
Are you letting it cool completely? Even a slightly warm cake is still tender and fragile.

YES, I'm a guy, but I like to bake, and also vacuum and do windows....so there!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

Are you letting it cool completely? Even a slightly warm cake is still tender and fragile.
I kind of thought that was my problem, as I am an impatient person. I have thought about putting the layers in the fridge for about an hour prior to putting on the platter and putting icing on it.

YES, I'm a guy, but I like to bake, and also vacuum and do windows....so there!!!
Yeah and you like cats that's one of the reasons the ladies on TCS know you're one of the nice guys out there Thanks for the advice

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you dust???
I would let the cake cool completely before applying frosting.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also make sure you use lots of frosting. Trying to make it too thin will also cause the cake to tear under the frosting.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I kind of thought that was my problem, as I am an impatient person. I have thought about putting the layers in the fridge for about an hour prior to putting on the platter and putting icing on it.

Yeah and you like cats that's one of the reasons the ladies on TCS know you're one of the nice guys out there Thanks for the advice
Don't put them in the fridge... you are adding extra moisture to the cake making it more crumbly. The best way to do it is let it sit on the counter for a few hours. I know it's not easy, but it's the best way to get an even frosting.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Don't put them in the fridge... you are adding extra moisture to the cake making it more crumbly. The best way to do it is let it sit on the counter for a few hours. I know it's not easy, but it's the best way to get an even frosting.
Okay, thanks. I hadn't thought about the fridge adding more moisture. I just like baking and I hadn't been able to make a layer cake without it splitting my dad tried to be nice and said it still tasted good but I want it to look good too. And I also worry about it falling while its baking because it never fails I put a cake in the oven and my sisters boxer decides she wants to romp through the house. And my stove will sometimes shake if you lean on it because somehow another the wooden things it was stuck under slid out on one side so it shakes like an uneven table if you touch it.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay, thanks. I hadn't thought about the fridge adding more moisture. I just like baking and I hadn't been able to make a layer cake without it splitting my dad tried to be nice and said it still tasted good but I want it to look good too. And I also worry about it falling while its baking because it never fails I put a cake in the oven and my sisters boxer decides she wants to romp through the house. And my stove will sometimes shake if you lean on it because somehow another the wooden things it was stuck under slid out on one side so it shakes like an uneven table if you touch it.
No prob! Baking is a small passion of mine. Try putting a brick at the bottom of your oven. It will add some weight and make it less shakey.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

No prob! Baking is a small passion of mine. Try putting a brick at the bottom of your oven. It will add some weight and make it less shakey.
Will I be able to do that in an electric oven. I don't even know if my dad will let me he won't let me use the oven cleaner sprays because he says it will cause the coils to catch on fire.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey where do you live ?
Can you come train my Hbby
After amost 5 1/2 years in this new house he doesn't know where the dishes are
Good for you Mr. Independent

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm no baking expert- just starting out myself! But are you leveling your cakes? Probably a dumb question but you didn't mention it.

You should post some pics of your cakes! Have you been to www.cakecentral.com?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to let them cool all the way as someone already posted.Even a slight warmth will make it fall apart.Also, make sure the frosting is at room temp too as it will cause the cake to tear.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

And more importantly, do you want to come over and clean my house?!?!
I can do that
...but, I only clean houses in a 50 mile radius

Now, must go try out this sinfully scrumptious sounding recipe I found for baked apple dumplins'