Kitty having problems pooping?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok, now I know that if a kitty is having issues peeing, it is a sign of a possible UTI, but what if the kitty has trouble pooping? Satarting yesterday afternoon, Demeter has been pooping all over the place, just a little bit here and there, its a light brown in color, kinda pasty in consistency. I can tell that she is very uncomfortable, she kinda "kitty moans" when she's trying to poo. Thei morning her tummy seemed kinda bloated, she let me touch it and push a little, but I could definintely tell that it was bothering her for me to do that. I've checked the poo for worms, no evidence, no blood in it either, but it is VERY stinky. I'm calling the vet as soon as they open to get an appt today, but does anyone have any insight? I have not changed foods and to my knowledge she has not eaten anything she shouldn't. I'm hoping this is not serious!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately somthing like that could be caused by anything. It is best to get some testing done by your vet so that whatever it is can be treated properly.

Is your kitty eating? Drinking? Lethargic? Active?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's eating and drinking, but is fairly lethargic, but then she isn't the most active kitty anyway

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the poor thing...i hate seeing kitties like that. Have you tried a little pumpkin to maybe firm up the poop a bit? Could she have eaten something that got stuck in there?

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to mention, that even if you don't "see" any worms there could still be some parasites like "Coccidia" that can only be seen under the microscope.

Coccidia causes diahrea that looks like litte "cow piles", the poops can be a dark brown/yellowish color and they stink very very bad ...
Check with your vet to see if he wants to you bring a sample or not.

By the way, old is Demeter?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well $150 later.... Demeter is constipated
better safe than sorry! I brought in a fecal sample and the vet did an analysis- nothing, but he gave some dewormer just in case, he also gave me an anti-biotic and some fiber. From the X-ray her tummy was full, so she's been chowing all day
her anal glands were also very full, so that was taken care of too let's hope that's the last time I'm going to be seeing them for awhile

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Well $150 later.... Demeter is constipated
better safe than sorry! I brought in a fecal sample and the vet did an analysis- nothing, but he gave some dewormer just in case, he also gave me an anti-biotic and some fiber. From the X-ray her tummy was full, so she's been chowing all day
her anal glands were also very full, so that was taken care of too let's hope that's the last time I'm going to be seeing them for awhile
Well, wasn't that worth a vet trip?
I'm glad all she it is is a case of constipation.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Well, wasn't that worth a vet trip?
I'm glad all she it is is a case of constipation.
I think you and I need to look into a frequent shopper card at the vets

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, at least your cat will soon feel better. Even if it isn't deadly dangerous, constipation can be miserable. That's what the vet is for, right?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ox has bouts of that. I don't know if its his age he can have rock hard poop then nothing for a day or two then piles all over the place (thank god its on the hardwood floor and not stinky!!) But its pretty annoying!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I think you and I need to look into a frequent shopper card at the vets
Man...wouldn't that be nice! Spend $300 in one month, the rest is free?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Man...wouldn't that be nice! Spend $300 in one month, the rest is free?
would have saved me a lot of money, that's for sure