holy moly! He's attacking the kittens! HELP!!!!

milk&cookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so my mom just called me down stairs, and I see her holding Bella...AND our stupid cat Charley holding one of the kitten's by the neck on top of them.

Well, I shoo him away, and he goes after Sophy (D:< dead meat), doing the same.

Twice I grabbed him, and twice I put him down (Because mom made me) and he did the same. Anyway, I threw him in the gaurage for now, and no one seem's hurt.

Thankfully.

Poor Bella. my mom said that he was REALLY hurting.

None of us is sure what the bloody hell he is doing.

So, someone, help, please, tell my if you know what he's doing!

And no, he's not fixed.

EDIT: xD they dun have no mother. There mother dissapeared for several day's, and we took them because they where starveing.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Milk&Cookies

.And no, he's not fixed.
There is your problem!

You need to keep him completely away from the Mother and kittens!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert.....But it sounds to be as a dominance thing!!!If he was holding the kittens down by their necks,that's how males and females mate.
I would sugest getting him neutered as soon as you can.And keep him away from Mom and her kittens.Mom's can become pregnant VERY soon after giving birth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milk&cookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Pami: Of course we will! and they have no mother, actually. there mother got run over (We suspect, as she dissapeared one day), and we took them in.

@Crittermom: Thats what I said to my mom, but she doesn't think so, as none of the cats he went at are in heat (Especally not Sophy, as she's fixed, and the kittens are to young).

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I'm no expert.....But it sounds to be as a dominance thing!!!If he was holding the kittens down by their necks,that's how males and females mate.
I would sugest getting him neutered as soon as you can.And keep him away from Mom and her kittens.Mom's can become pregnant VERY soon after giving birth.
Yep - the mum can get pregnant within a few weeks of having a litter, and I daresay that's what's setting him off. He may see the kittens as a threat.

You need to get him neutered NOW! If you can't afford much, ring around and find somewhere cheap. For the kitten's safety you need to do it sooner rather than later, and keep them separated in the meantime.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is no blood shed, then I would say it is he is showing that he is the boss and that he will be listened too.
If you do have a female in heat,then he is wanting to mate.He could even smell a female in the area that is in heat and he is trying to mate with who ever he can.(since yours aren't in heat)
I would get him neutered as soon as you possibly can.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Intact toms KILL kittens. He needs to be kept away from the kittens and neutered ASAP.

milk&cookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Sarahp: as said, they have no mom. However, I agree with keeping them away , and hopefully we can find a cheap place for him to get neutered (which we where planning on doing soon anyway as we heard that in a chance of 8/9 to 10 he'll stop spraying everywhere.)

@Katl8e: .___. oh shizle! D:

@Crittermom: no blood was shed, thankfully. And he's never done that beofe. Though samantha has, but she just hisses alot. Anyway, none of our cats are in heat, but there is a cat we've seen in the naighborhood that could be in heat.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a member here that is very informative in finding place for cheap spay/neuters.Hopefully she'll see this and can offer some places that she has found/knows about.
I would definatly keep him away from the kittens though.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Intact toms KILL kittens. He needs to be kept away from the kittens and neutered ASAP.
Yes!!! Keep him completely away!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@Sarahp: as said, they have no mom. However, I agree with keeping them away , and hopefully we can find a cheap place for him to get neutered (which we where planning on doing soon anyway as we heard that in a chance of 8/9 to 10 he'll stop spraying everywhere.)

@Katl8e: .___. oh shizle! D:

@Crittermom: no blood was shed, thankfully. And he's never done that beofe. Though samantha has, but she just hisses alot. Anyway, none of our cats are in heat, but there is a cat we've seen in the naighborhood that could be in heat.
If you live in the USA...this link has a list of low cost spay/neuter clinics by state:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

Katie

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(Katie, I was hoping you would see this!!!!!)

I would keep the kits in a seperate room, or in a large dog crate away from the Tom.

milk&cookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all very much! and thank you TNR1 for the link! I appreciate this very much! Hopefully thing'll be okay and dad wont get so ticked that he'll throw him out the door.

@Crittermom: thanks!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I didn't realise there was no mother cat. How old are the kittens, and how many of them are there? Do you know where the mum is?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you all very much! and thank you TNR1 for the link! I appreciate this very much! Hopefully thing'll be okay and dad wont get so ticked that he'll throw him out the door.

@Crittermom: thanks!
Not a good idea to throw an intact male outdoors...it isn't this male's fault, he simply needs to be neutered.

Katie

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An intact male won't wait for a female to be in heat to mate with her. He will do so if he can catch her and hold her down long enough. And he will also try to either kill or mate with the kittens too. They don't care - they just do what they do and don't discriminate when it comes to things like whether or not the female is in heat or that the kittens will get hurt.

As others have suggested, keep that male confined inside, preferably putting two doors between him and the outside, away from ALL of your other cats, whether they are altered or not. Neuter him as soon as is possible and spay/neuter all the other cats in your home. Keep the male away from all of your other cats for no less than a month after his neutering procedure and do not allow any of the other cats access to him or to the outside until everyone is spayed or neutered.

This situation can get out of hand quickly. Intact males can quickly become aggressive with no warning. Don't try to handle the male a lot and unless you are 100% certain he is up to date on all of his vaccines, do NOT let him bite or scratch anyone.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say just what gayef said. It makes no difference if the females are in heat or not. If they are over 4-5 months and the male is noticing them then you need to keep them away. He will impregnate them the second they "mature" whether they are in heat or not. Once he is neutered, he still needs to be seperate from them for a month because he will still be able to impregnate and still have issues with the kittens until then.

How old are the babies?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Intact male cats ( from lion down to our moggies) have an instinct to kill kittens so that they can mate with the mom and pass on their own genes. This cat's instinct took over though he does not realise that there is no momcat. It is sadly one way that feral cat colonies control population - a percentage of the kittens are always killed by the adult males.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that in a pride of lions when a new male takes over one of the first things he does is kill all of the cubs in the pride so the females will come into heat.