How Can You Tell When Cats Have A Fever?

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always thought that if their ears were either really cold or really hot and that their bodies were warm and "clammy" that they had a fever. Am I correct?

Thanks

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way is to use a thermometer.
My Spot's ears would get hot when his thyroid levels were out of whack, so hot ears aren't a guarentee of fever.

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ears aren't really a good indication. They're a far off extension of the body and can be affected by the surroundings too easily. The best and safest way is by taking a rectal temperature. It can be tricky if you haven't done it before and you may need someone's help. The good thing is that it's quick and painless!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lizch6699

Ears aren't really a good indication. They're a far off extension of the body and can be affected by the surroundings too easily. The best and safest way is by taking a rectal temperature. It can be tricky if you haven't done it before and you may need someone's help. The good thing is that it's quick and painless!
Eeeek! I don't know if I can do that. Let's put it this way, I know Trouble will never let me.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a pet ear canal thermometer that can be found at most large pet stores...
It is not quite as accurate as a rectal thermometer but if you get several base line readings when your kitty is well...
that will not be an issue.

Some people say that a children's ear canal thermometer works just as well, but a cats ear canal in deeper so I got the pet model.
You might want to ask your vet for her opinion.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I use a pet ear canal thermometer that can be found at most large pet stores...
It is not quite as accurate as a rectal thermometer but if you get several base line readings when your kitty is well...
that will not be an issue.

Some people say that a children's ear canal thermometer works just as well, but a cats ear canal in deeper so I got the pet model.
You might want to ask your vet for her opinion.
I use a baby's ear canal thermometer. My vet at first didn't want to believe it worked accurately, but then did her own trials, and concluded that it was as accurate as a digital rectal thermometer. And a lot easier to use.