horrible story!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not equate this to the country you live in. I have now traveled to 64 countries and this could happen in one country just as easily as in another. An eye for an eye however would serve as good justice in any country, I would believe.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Things like this just sicken me! How can any "so called" human do this to one of God's creatures??? RIP sweet kittens!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How could anyone do something so horrible. Those poor kittens they had to of known that the person they trusted was doing this horrible act to him. And what's worse he was right there at the shelter. And they probably won't tract him down and he won't pay for the horrible thing he has done.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Thats sickening.

That also could have been avoided,If shelters made more of an effort to ask for foster carers then that might not have happened.

Before anybody dishes me for that I would like to say ,did that shelter call any other shelter or foster carers to ask if they had some room for a couple of kittens?
By the sounds of it no....too many times I have seen rescues refuse animals just to hear about the sad endings in the papers.
Its time there were more communication between all the different shelters and rescues and foster carers...there is ALWAYS somebody who can make more room....if only they were asked.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with furryferals. This man's reaction is damnable, but the shelter did not suggest any alternatives (or have any?)

And was there any offer to neuter his girlfriend's cat to prevent this tragedy from recurring?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm worried about the girlfriend. I have a feeling that he didn't want them and she wasn't going to come in to give them up. So he took care of it in this horrible way.

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

It has nothing to do with the country. Its the species--MAN. People are so @#*$#@^%! Present company excluded, of course.
Ill second that.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just knew after reading the first paragraph of this story that this was a person who was refused at a closed door shelter.

What shocks me is that people find this so shocking. What do you think people do with animals once they have been told "no". They just keep them? No, they get rid of them. Whether its in the parking lot, or out in the woods.

However as long as shelters can hold themselves in high regard as being "no kill" or "low kill" Stories like these will continue. Who is accountable for that?

Does it make it better that no kill shelter can say "We can't take the animal you don't want, sorry." Then the person is referred to a "high kill" shelter. Aren't they just passing the buck. As long as the "killing" doesn't happen in their hands then I guess everything is okay.

I don't know about you but I would have rather seen those kittens humanely euthanized, than being ran over in a truck.

A person who does not want their animal/pet should never be turned away. For the safety of that pet.

bcoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I volunteer at a very small open admission shelter. We take animals from our rural county seat only. We do turn away people who live outside city limits and we have no resources to offer them other than low cost spay neuter and courtesy listing. There is no way to make room for everything someone wants to drop at the shelter and there is no foster system to help people wanting to dump their pets. We work very, very hard to get our charges into rescue and keep everyone alive but we can in no way take in animals from other areas.
It is not a shelter's fault that someone would harm their own pets. Volunteers can only do so much. There is not always room for one more. When you get past the limit of what you can care for effectively there is no room for one more.
If more people volunteered to foster, adopted instead of breeding, adopted instead of purchasing from a breeder, spread the word on spay/neuter and the number of cats killed in this country each day/month/year then MAYBE there would always be room for one more. Presently there is not always room for one more.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Breal76

I just knew after reading the first paragraph of this story that this was a person who was refused at a closed door shelter.

What shocks me is that people find this so shocking. What do you think people do with animals once they have been told "no". They just keep them? No, they get rid of them. Whether its in the parking lot, or out in the woods.

However as long as shelters can hold themselves in high regard as being "no kill" or "low kill" Stories like these will continue. Who is accountable for that?

Does it make it better that no kill shelter can say "We can't take the animal you don't want, sorry." Then the person is referred to a "high kill" shelter. Aren't they just passing the buck. As long as the "killing" doesn't happen in their hands then I guess everything is okay.

I don't know about you but I would have rather seen those kittens humanely euthanized, than being ran over in a truck.

A person who does not want their animal/pet should never be turned away. For the safety of that pet.
Wait, what??????? You're justifying kill shelters by this man's horrifying actions? You're blaming the despicable death of these kittens on a rescue that spends its' entire efforts in saving the lives of animals?

I'm so shocked and appalled by both this man's cruelty and your use of this story to justify killing other animals that I'm completely speechless.....

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're justifying kill shelters by this man's horrifying actions
Where exactly did I write that again?

You are clearly missing the point.
If shelters stopped turning people away, perhaps stories like this would end. This isn't the first time I have heard of someone doing this to a pet after they have been refused at a shelter and it won't be the last.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Wait, what??????? You're justifying kill shelters by this man's horrifying actions? You're blaming the despicable death of these kittens on a rescue that spends its' entire efforts in saving the lives of animals?

I'm so shocked and appalled by both this man's cruelty and your use of this story to justify killing other animals that I'm completely speechless.....
I don't think that is what the member meant at all.

I think the member was trying to say that at least if they had taken the kittens...even if that meant euthanising them or reffering him to a kill shelter,then the killing of the kittens would not have happened.They would have died humanely which is what being in rescue is all about at the end of the day.To PREVENT suffering.

Anybody involved in rescue knows or should know what can happen to the animals a rescue turns away.We have all experienced the horror of the reality.
There are different kinds of people who commit these crimes,
There are ignorant and uncaring ones who will get rid of an animal in anyway possible without a second thought about taking them to a rescue and there are ones who do know what to do and when the people (rescues)who are supposed to be there are not then they will dispose of them anyway they can too.

If that
hadn;t killed them there,he would have killed them elsewhere or dumped them in some bushes somewhere to fend for themselves....further adding to the overpopulation.

Seemingly the 'rescue' concerned did not make any attempt to give any other advice or even try to call other people who may have had the room for them.
They should never say no.