Similar question to kitty not eating...

chloe12.5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I have been reading on here and trying to decipher what is going on. Am seeing a vet but not sure if I am getting really anywhere. Had uti and that is done with but she is not wanting to eat. She loved to eat, she could not get enough! Loved wet food but now walks by it. Trying different brands for kidney probs since that is what vet 'thinks' is going on. Tried adding a bit of water or microwaving to make it warm and she passes it by. I noticed she was a bit hungry this morning and I gave her the wet food and she licked it as well (finally ate it but I really smashed it good). Also canned chicken meat (does not really like tuna), there too just licked the juice and did not eat one bite. Her teeth looked fine. Did a blood test during uti and her levels were a little low and her urine is very hard to get out of the litter box because it won't clump. Does this sound like a kidney prob? Will I need to inject fluids in her? Mind you, she won't let me even trim her nails. Not a lap cat that is for sure. Help please!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason I asked that was if they can not smell, they usually don't want to eat.

I have a suggestion. Get some strained baby meat, beef is best, mix up a slurry of the meat and some water, fill up a syringe or anything else that will hold just a little, and see if you can tempt her to eat and/or lick it up.

The beef has a smell to it. See if she will have some.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which levels were low in her blood work? Is it possible that she's nauseous? Her teeth looked fine, but can you check for mouth sores?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloe12.5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply and the suggestion of looking for a mouth sore. I will certainly look and see if I can find anything. She has not vomited at all and is able to make a bowel movement. She has been waking up very early in the morning...like now...4am and meows till I get up. She has food out but won't eat and drinking lots of water. I just tried to get her to eat some baby food (chicken) from my finger and she licks it and starts growling at me. Not sure what she wants but definitely calling vet tomorrow.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chloe12.5

Thank you for your reply and the suggestion of looking for a mouth sore. I will certainly look and see if I can find anything. She has not vomited at all and is able to make a bowel movement. She has been waking up very early in the morning...like now...4am and meows till I get up. She has food out but won't eat and drinking lots of water. I just tried to get her to eat some baby food (chicken) from my finger and she licks it and starts growling at me. Not sure what she wants but definitely calling vet tomorrow.
I am taking a day off to take Humble to the vet this morning. He is doing just like your kitty! He wants to drink a lot but won't eat much. He WILL eaTt a little dry food but not from his dish and only a few bites or so. No meowing....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloe12.5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about your kitty. I too am going in to the vet this afternoon. So hard to see this. Please keep me updated! Thank you and best of luck.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humble has actually gained a few ounces since summer. He looks fine, but the vet is going to do blood work and maybe an zray to see if his bladder stone has gotten bigger or changed.

I am going to get him in half an hour or so.

I am praying for your vet visit as well.