Advice please about my STUPID landlord

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I come home tonight and my parking spot is gone, I am forced to park directly behind my landlords van..so I'm certain in the morning I am going to get a call to move my bleeping car.

There is an unknown car in my spot and therefore...my spot was gone.

My question is: How can I tell my landlord that THERE'S NO WAY I AM PUTTING UP WITH THIS ANYMORE...in a nice way..because I am not going to be moving my car all the time or asking someone to move because they are parking me in...BUT I want to keep a good relationship with my landlord..I still have many months on the lease...

I was parked in this morning to when I went to leave..I had to ask them to move their car already ONCE today.

What do I say?? NICELY, so they get the hint that I won't put up with this.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your landlord to put up a tow sign from a local company. We had one of them in college, and it worked like a charm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Ask your landlord to put up a tow sign from a local company. We had one of them in college, and it worked like a charm.
Its my landlords relatives.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

we had the same problem (which is really annoying as the spot next to us is empty, but the one time we used that she ticketed our truck as well as the car in our spot
) so now I go in EVERY TIME it happens and buzz her and get her to come and call a tow truck or give us permission to use an empty spot, needless to say she deals with them pretty quickly now.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Its my landlords relatives.
Do you pay extra for parking? If so I would politely remind her that the relatives do not, and if you feel like being really fussy about it, withold rent for a few days like she witholds your parking spot

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a house and it has a 6 car driveway...I park in the middle, but there are TWO cars in the middle taking up both spots...then my landlords GIANT truck and GIANT van are on either side, so I had to park in the van..

I swear if they call me before 10am, I AM NOT ANSWERING MY PHONE OR DOOR

What do I do? I am so @#!@#$@ mad!!!!!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Do you pay extra for parking? If so I would politely remind her that the relatives do not, and if you feel like being really fussy about it, withold rent for a few days like she witholds your parking spot
Nope I don't pay for parking. But I still don't think I should get inconvenienced like this...she :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor: walks all over me..she STILL hasn't fixed my cieling or got that bat out of my landryroom. OMG I feel like calling her now but its too late..I am so mad.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Does your lease address parking at all?
I don't know, but I'm sure it doesn't say anything about never being parked in.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I live in a house and it has a 6 car driveway...I park in the middle, but there are TWO cars in the middle taking up both spots...then my landlords GIANT truck and GIANT van are on either side, so I had to park in the van..

I swear if they call me before 10am, I AM NOT ANSWERING MY PHONE OR DOOR

What do I do? I am so @#!@#$@ mad!!!!!!!
Put a note on the windshield of the car that is in your spot saying that it took up your space. Then write a note to your landlord and put in on her van saying that you don't want to be woken up before 10am, and why your car is there. At 10:01 am open your door, start your car, and park in your spot.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the parking space specified in your lease? If not, there's not anything you can do.

If the space is in your lease, you could call your local tenant/landlord association (there might be a hotline) and get advice how to handle it. You might need to keep a record (marking on the calendar is enough) of the dates you didn't have a parking space. You could possibly get reimbursed for part of your rent at some point. Good luck.

I get really annoyed at landlords who act like the house is all theirs and make tenants feel like unwelcome guests. As long as you are paying for it, this is, by law, your home, and if it's in the lease, by law it's your parking space.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I don't know where you live, but chances are it's illegal to withhold rent because of this.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I don't know where you live, but chances are it's illegal to withhold rent because of this.
I wouldn't withold rent anyway.

:censor::censor::censor::censor:, I can't find my lease.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just found my lease, and it does say I get 1 outdoor parking spot!!!

But that doesn't mean they can't park me in or make me move my car all the time does it? There's no law against that I'm sure....:censor::censor::censor::censor:

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kept mine until the 4th last month because they hadn't turned the heat on, as long as you give it to them by the 10th (as long as its due on the 1st) and can prove that you are witholding it because the tenant-landlord agreement is not being upheld.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I just found my lease, and it does I get 1 outdoor parking spot!!!

But that doesn't mean they can't park me in or make me move my car all the time does it? There's no law against that I'm sure....:censor::censor::censor::censor:
I am sure there is a law about restricting access, but whether that includes your car