Puffy Milkbags =)

biscuit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not worried or anything (although my wife is prone to - thus this post) but I was just curious as to what goes on with the "teats" after 6-8 weeks or nursing. Her kittens are all adopted out and gone for good but her boobies are still pretty full, firm and round - almost like a human's!
How long does this last? She just stopped nursing a day ago.

I would panic, but after reading the lockjaw and pregnant-smelly-discharge threads my situation seems quite sunny. I worry about those guys!!!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she's only stopped nursing a day or so, they probably are filled up with milk. Give it another day or so and if they are still puffy or if she shows any pain, give the vet a call. There are things that vets can give cats to slow and/or stop milk production. You are right about the other two points.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Biscuit

I'm not worried or anything (although my wife is prone to - thus this post) but I was just curious as to what goes on with the "teats" after 6-8 weeks or nursing. Her kittens are all adopted out and gone for good but her boobies are still pretty full, firm and round - almost like a human's!
How long does this last? She just stopped nursing a day ago.
She is still producing milk and will be for some time - are the kittens only 6-8 weeks old? While I am certain they will be fine in their new homes, just so you know, kittens really should stay with their Mother until at least 10 to 11 weeks of age, preferably 12 to 14 weeks.

Anyway, she will eventually dry up and she will return to her normal body shape and tone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They were born and lived in a veterinarian's office in Birmingham until they were adopted out yesterday. I'm sure they wouldn't steer us wrong.

biscuit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's the cutest! Thanks for your help guys.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They were born and lived in a veterinarian's office in Birmingham until they were adopted out yesterday. I'm sure they wouldn't steer us wrong.
Well maybe it was a desperate situation with them staying at a vets office, but that really is bad/irresponsible advice if the vet says they can be rehomed at 6-8 weeks. Like I said, there are acceptions though. Maybe mom wasn't doing her job with them or something. But in general, that is way too young for the kittens to leave mom. 8-12 weeks is a very important period for the mother cat to teach the kittens so many different things about being a cat which can throw things off if they miss that vital period.

biscuit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, my wife is the receptionist there while she is finishing up school so she knows the scoop and I've seen it for my own eyes. The mommy was doing a great job with them and most of them were eating regular food, drinking water and nursing from time to time.

When the kittens were all adopted out, we brought mommy kitty home because she is so sweet.

I think she is having some anxiety now though. She's been assimilating all day in our condo and with our other female cat. Late tonight however, she has been walking around crying a little though and I can't figure out why. I am guessing it is because her babies are all gone. She's full of tuna and Science Diet and well rested and not scared of our other cat. I feel sorry for her a little...but then again, she's laying on a down comforter right now so she shouldn't be too pitied!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
shes had her babies taken away from her , gone to a new home , so its a mixture of pinning and probley a little bit scared, they do say always try and keep one with the mum for a little bit longer after the rest have been rehomed should have been 10/12 weeks but there gone now , so no point in going on about that lol. good luck with her though , her milk should start drying up in a cupple of days.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Takes about a week to start to go down and reabsorb the milk. But warm compresses might help. I know my rexes looked really weird for awhile when that happened. I would sometimes take a warm towel or washcloth and hold her on my lap if she seems uncomfortable.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were the kittens totally weaned to solid food and using the litter box before they left? Most kittens are not that "ready" till 10 weeks old. I hope the kits do adjust, but they may have social problems.

Between 8 and 12 weeks old they need socialization time with siblings and mom and other adult cats to learn how to be a cat. Without that, you can have major problems growing up.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Although the vet office may have no problem with placing kittens that young....several of us on this site have experienced the "issues" of placing kittens when they have JUST WEANED. That is why we do recommend that kittens are placed between 10-12 weeks.

I do hope that before you brought the mom cat home, that the vet office spayed her.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While 6-8 weeks might be physically ready - its certainly not emotionally/mentally ready - big difference.

Also I found that many vets are under the impression that a healthy cat (no matter what breed) should weigh 8-10 lbs or more! I had to educate the vets who dealt with my cornish rex that they were very healthy at 5-7 lbs and if any bigger they would be overweight for their body build/breed! So vets don't know EVERYTHING.