Not eating--week 5

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, all.

I'm in Russia with a cat who is recovering from HCL (we think). We just finished week 5 of not eating and are heading into week 6.

Beazy is feeling great--she's playful, active, affectionate, HUNGRY...but she still won't/can't eat on her own. She still will sniff food and gag. Pepcid didn't help, so I've discontinued it. I don't see any change.

She will eat grass, and, yesterday, a few pieces of cereal from my breakfast bowl (I mean, it STARTS in my bowl and I put it on the floor for her after intense, hypnotic begging on her part.). I know that's crazy, but it's always been her favorite treat. I was thrilled when she ate it!

Any ideas? I'm still syringe feeding 3-4 times a day. I'm worried because I have to go to France for a conference in two weeks. I REALLY would love to have her eating on her own before I leave.

She is taking Denosyl. I have not received the milk thistle/dandelion that I ordered. Hopefully it will arrive on Thursday.

Any natural nausea remedies out there?

Thanks again and again!
Kate

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not familiar with her health history Kate.

Was Beazy diagnosed & treated for HCL by a vet?
Because you are guessing about her current health status,
I would have a vet find out what the problem is and get it treated.
The cause of her lack of appetite could be almost anything, including pain,
but she must eat to live.
Please keep us updated.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I remember correctly vet care in her area is different than here..

I have no natural cures for nausea in cats ....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in Russia. And, yes, Sharky's right-- the vet care here is VERY different.

She has been "treated" by a vet...but only started to recover when I insisted on antibiotics and syringe feeding.

I've really exhausted the vet care available. Now, it's up to me to get her eating.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I am not familiar with her health history Kate.

Was Beazy diagnosed & treated for HCL by a vet?
Because you are guessing about her current health status,
I would have a vet find out what the problem is and get it treated.
The cause of her lack of appetite could be almost anything, including pain,
but she must eat to live.
Please keep us updated.
This is thread that we first heard of Beazy's problems. As you can see, Kate had to do a lot of research on her own.

I wish I could help but all I can think of is trying roast chicken which is fav of my cats.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A B-vitamin supplement can alleviate nausea, and is also an appetite stimulant. Ginger, peppermint and catnip are all very good for soothing the stomach and improving appetite. Acidophilus (either in yogurt or a probiotic supplement) can help too, especially since she's been on antibiotics. Is she still taking antibiotics, BTW? Those often cause nausea themselves.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

This is thread that we first heard of Beazy's problems. As you can see, Kate had to do a lot of research on her own.
Oh my goodness...
I just read your previous thread about Beazy.
You have been through a really challenging time together.

This food suggestion may be useless but just in case....
Most kitties love this appetite stimulating snack that is basically dried, then shaved or powdered Bonita or tuna fish.
It can be found in Chinese markets in the US.
There may even be something similar where you are.
It has a really strong smell that most cats love.

I will follow your updates with the hope that you find something that sweet Beazy will eat.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart, Kate; I've been wondering about Beazy. I went 7 weeks with syringe-feeding Bob before his liver problems became too much for him, so I know how you're feeling.
Can you get chamomile tea in Russia? I used that with my Belle, who we lost last year to CRF, and with Bob before he just became too ill. I'd make up a strong cup of tea & give them a couple of syringes-full about 10 minutes before feeding them. (lukewarm/ room temp)

I think the fact that Beazy is interested in some food, any food, is a great sign. It really is just a matter of her deciding to eat again. I don't have any idea why it takes a cat so long to get that light-bulb moment but, as I think I mentioned before, my vet told me it can take 8 weeks or more after a cat stops eating before they start again on their own.

I'm still sending those (((healing vibes))) to dear Beazy. It sounds as if she's doing great---except for not eating, of course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all!

Kataching, thanks for linking that previous thread. I should've thought of that! And, Beaz was really "Sniffy" when I roasted a chicken. Maybe today she'll eat some...

Mom to 3, I knew ginger and peppermint were good for people, but didn't know if it was good for cats. And I didn't know catnip was soothing...Thanks for the new information! She is not on antibiotics any longer. They stopped about a month ago. Yogurt tops used to be her other fav treat (right up there with cereal). I haven't tried that in awhile...

Any more information on vitamin B? Is it a tablet? Any ideas on dosage for a 14 lb. cat? I'll go do some searching online.

xo, we've got lots of dried fish available here. They sell it at the checkout counter with the gum and other impulse items. I hadn't thought of trying that. I'll give it a shot!

Libbly, chamomile is a good idea. And, I agree that ANY interest in food is a good sign. I guess I just have to be patient...

She really is doing great! She just needs to eat! And, thanks to all of these great suggestions, maybe this will be our week!

Kate

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw Beaz photo in your other thread...
Her colors are beautiful.

I am sending lots of vibes to both you and Beaz that soon your girl will begin to eat.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure whether you can get B vitamins in the same form there, but I've used 1/4 of a 25 mg. tablet per day for one of my cats. With the herbs, you can make a tea and syringe feed it before meals like Libby said.

I hope you can find something that works!