Sneaky!

jwinston33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Over the last two weeks my kitten has developed the habit of sneaking past me whenever I open the front door. I've tried to prevent him, but he's so quick! Luckily he gets distracted as soon as he gets outside the door, so I can soop him up. However, I'm concerened that one day he isn't going to stop and is going to get away from me.
Lucky is indoors only and I want to keep it that way. Also, the landlord requires it, so I don't really have a choice in the matter. I've tried to eliminate his desire by providing a window perch, large cat tree, and I even bought a harness and leash so we could go for "walks". Yet, still, every time I open the door, he sneaks out with me.
I've learned that he is not afraid of spray bottles or loud noises, so I'm not sure what to do, but I need to so something. I've tried scolding him, but that doesn't do anything except make me feel bad. He still purrs as soon as I pick him up, and even after I've yelled, so obviously he doesn't care if i rase my voice either. I'm at a loss! Any help would be VERY appreciated!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's not neutered, that would explain it... and it should be done ASAP (if he's old enough). Every time you do catch him, instantly bring him back, put the harness on and take him out for a few minutes at least, so he gets the point, and (hopefully) he'll eventually look for the leash and alert you that he wants out. Ours are hanging right by the door, so they can bang them around a bit enough so that we hear them, get them into the harnesses, and hook their leashes to outside in-ground stakes with swivel hooks on top (far from trees or anything they can get tangled in). But you have to keep an eye on them out there, of course, depending on where you live.. if there are roaming dogs, unneutered cats, wild animals, strong sun (for longer than 20 mins. at a time), etc. etc. but at least you won't always have to 'walk' them yourself, but they get to be safely outside.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We take ours outside on leashes too. Once they're allowed outside, they'll always want to go! It's just so much more interesing out there.
We've developed the "cat owners shuffle" way of entering/exiting our apartment. Basically, every time we open the door, we expect there to be a furry Houdini waiting to escape, and so we have to block him with our legs or whatever we're carrying and push them away.
Ridiculous cat people!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jwinston33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, Lucky is neutered. I guess I just need to realize that this is going to be a way of life. Maybe I'll start keeping his favorite toy by the door and throw it right before I open the door. he might just go for the toy instead of the door, I guess it's worth a shot.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

We take ours outside on leashes too. Once they're allowed outside, they'll always want to go! It's just so much more interesing out there.
We've developed the "cat owners shuffle" way of entering/exiting our apartment. Basically, every time we open the door, we expect there to be a furry Houdini waiting to escape, and so we have to block him with our legs or whatever we're carrying and push them away.
Ridiculous cat people!

I call mine the cat owner stoop. I can't remember when I last went through our door standing straight. It's always turn the knob, bed down and be ready to block a running Boo-Boo. The girl is a real escape artist and rarely misses a chance to at least try to go out that door.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat does the same thing, when the postman has a package for me or friends come over she shoots outside and i have to get some food to lure her in, the only way i can avoid her running away is to close the door to the front room behind me before i open the front door because she will jump off the couch as soon as she hears the doorbell, also telling her "no" and saying "naughty" doesn't work either.