"Flags Of Our Fathers"

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else seen this movie yet? Colin and I went to see "Flags of our Fathers" tonight and it was good.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that the movie about Iwo Jima or has something to do with it?
Or am I thinking of a totally different movie?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shawn wants to see it really bad!!! It looked pretty good to me.I'll have to tell him you saw it and it IS good.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to see it (searching for a date). My dad was on Iwo Jima (won't talk about it though) and I have the book reserved at the library.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Shawn wants to see it really bad!!! It looked pretty good to me.I'll have to tell him you saw it and it IS good.
It is good
I'm sure you two would like it. (I'm really into WWII type movies tough, so it could be just me
)

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVED Saving Private Ryan,Full Metal Jacket,Platoon!! So, I'm sure I'd love this one too.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Is that the movie about Iwo Jima or has something to do with it?
Or am I thinking of a totally different movie?
Yes, it's about Iwo Jima....but a large part of it is about 3 troops that come back to the US after the "flag picture" was taken...I don't wanna go into more detail for those who haven't seen it yet, but it is pretty good

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Yes, it's about Iwo Jima....but a large part of it is about 3 troops that come back to the US after the "flag picture" was taken...I don't wanna go into more detail for those who haven't seen it yet, but it is pretty good
I've read about the picture.. sounds good, I might go see it!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I LOVED Saving Private Ryan,Full Metal Jacket,Platoon!! So, I'm sure I'd love this one too.
Ohh I love those movies!! Also- I'm addicted to Band of Brothers- it's got to be one of the best war series i've ever seen.....it is soooooo incredable! I would recommend it to anyone- it really covers sooooooooo many aspects of WWII and really give you insight of what it was like for the soldiers. It's incredable. I think everyone should see the entire Band of Brothers series at least once
/ (by the way- that would make an excellent Christmas gift for Shawn if he doesn't have it already
)

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, he doesn't have it.Thanks I'll look for it tomm. and order it.That's the ONLY way I can keep anything a secret from him.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nope, he doesn't have it.Thanks I'll look for it tomm. and order it.That's the ONLY way I can keep anything a secret from him.
Definitely get him Band of Brothers if you're able to- that's one series I'll guarente you he will LOVE

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know who made it?Actors or anything so I can search for it?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are a few links for you!
There are lots of well known actors in it (tom hanks helped produce/direct it
)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185906/
http://www.hbo.com/band/landing/currahee.html
http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-.../dp/B00006CXSS

It's absolutely incredable- it's about Easy Company. I think my fav. part of the series is the "Why We Fight" one...it's incredable and such a tear jerker. I was crying the whole episode. It really lets you have a little insight into EVERY part of the war. It's amazing. Colin says he definitely recommends it for your hubby too
So you have a guys recommendation as well

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
K!!!! Now, I'll go check them links you sent me.Tell Colin thanks too!!!
I buy alot of stuff off of Amazon.So, I'm checking there first.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

K!!!! Now, I'll go check them links you sent me.Tell Colin thanks too!!!
I buy alot of stuff off of Amazon.So, I'm checking there first.
No problem!!! I'm sure you could google the title even more if you wanna do a price comparison
/ Colin and I both think your family will LOVE it- it's amazing

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

I want to see it (searching for a date). My dad was on Iwo Jima (won't talk about it though) and I have the book reserved at the library.
good book, and yea, i saw it not bad at all!!!

I had one uncle there, it was not pretty but wars never all

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

good book, and yea, i saw it not bad at all!!!

I had one uncle there, it was not pretty but wars never all
The only thing that my pops will say, about his WWII experiences, is that he hauled a BAR all over those islands and that his top sergeant and lieutenant had to pry it out of his hands, at the end of the war. Considering the casualties, suffered by the Marines, he's lucky to have come through Iwo Jima and Okinawa, without so much as a scratch.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

Maybe he might consider writing something down about it and maybe keeping it with his will at his lawyer's office? Then the family could have it after he'd passed on, but he wouldn't have to face lots of questions or whatever? (Just a historian's thought, your mileage may vary).

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just came back from the movies. It was not a bad movie. I was expecting something along the lines of Saving Private Ryan, however, it was different. Now, if the rumors are correct, there will be a second movie out later about Iwo Jima but from the Japanese side of the story. It will be the same director, Clint Eastwood and studio making it. I am not surprised that if the rumors are correct, the film has already been shot to save cost. Just like they shot Lord of the Rings 1, 2 and 3 all at the same time.