Bleach

steffycakes05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I use to clean my kitchen floors and stove with bleach and my cat would actually lay on it and roll all around. Once after i bleached my stove...he peed on it. I also caught him licking the floor even after i wiped the floor down with water (after bleaching it). So i started using Lysol....but is this normal?

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Both are toxic to cats .....
What?????? I just bleached the floors and their litter boxes and afterwards rinsed with water. Will this be ok? Have I just endangered my cats?!!! I was following the vets orders!

Help!
Shanynne

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bleach is really no good for cats - it can kill them. If you do need to bleach, make sure it is very well diluted. I would recommend that you use diluted disinfectant instead of bleach.

Cats can get high form bleach and that's why they roll around in it.

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a cat that does that too, but when I do use bleach, it's a 32:1 water to bleach dilution, then I rinse afterwards. That's what we use on all of our litter boxes. Kirby still reacts to it. She's been doing it as long as we've had her (rescued her as a kitten 3 years ago). She'll also roll in the white laundry after it's come out of the dryer if I used any bleach in it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spiritedstef

We have a cat that does that too, but when I do use bleach, it's a 32:1 water to bleach dilution, then I rinse afterwards. That's what we use on all of our litter boxes. Kirby still reacts to it. She's been doing it as long as we've had her (rescued her as a kitten 3 years ago). She'll also roll in the white laundry after it's come out of the dryer if I used any bleach in it.
I do the same thing and that is what we always did at the shelters I have worked at. As long as it is diluted. We also used bleach on the dishes. Obviously all are rinsed well before reusing.