Anyone have a Rib recipe?

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need a baked rib recipe, since the bf bought a bunch of pork ribs on sale and we have no barbeque. I'm a big fan of ribs w/ bbq sauce, but I've never made baked ribs before. Anyone have a delicious recipe they'd be willing to share???

thumper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pretty much the same as on the grill, but just add some liquid smoke. careful a little goes a long way.

On the bottom of the ribs, if there is a membrane you should peel it off. work up a corner then get a towel and pull, if its really tuff use the towel with the pair of pliers to pull it. If its going to mess up the ribs don't bother then or its already been pulled off. Chinese ribs still have the membrane on.

You can get bbq sauce with liquid smoke added or get some and add a tiny bit to taste, start with a tiny drop and go from there.

Get some rub for them, any rib rub really. I use Dinosaur rub and sauce, its a little on the spicy hot side tho.

Rub the ribs top and bottom and put down 2 layers of tinfoil and place the ribs on then fold the ends over then lengthwise, leave a bit open on both sides. I put it right on the rack but you can put it on a cookie sheet or a Pyrex dish. It could drip a bit. don't fold the foil to tight since you'll want to open it to take a peek.

In the oven 225 to 250 for a slow cook about 3 hours. If you want them quicker add more heat. like 275-300 for 1.5 hour or 350 for one hour. the slower you cook the better then will be. Id say 1.5 hours between 300-350 since the lower temps on the grill is to help the wood smoke get in the meat They are done when you can pull a bone out the long way. If you pull it and the meat follows give it more time. safe temp should be 160-165 ish for the meat.

On a grill smoking you have to be careful not to dry them out but in the oven its usually not a problem unless your using a convection oven. Don't worry about basting cause about halfway through you can flip and over and the top will sit in the juice.

When they seem like there getting close open the tin foil flip em so the top is back up and brush on the bbq sauce then crank the heat up. If you can keep a close eye on them use the broiler, careful the sugar in the sauce with burn fast, I like em a bit crunchy on the outside.

Hope this helps

Keith, Thumper and Cosmo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both sound great......I'm gonna try more similar to Keith recipe today, since I'd have to go back to the store for SwampWitch's recipe, but I'll definitely have to try it.....
I just rubbed them in brown sugar, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Gonna let them sit in the fridge a few hours.....I'll then either slow cook as Keith suggests or possibly beer boil (get rid of some of the rub plus speed cooking time....I like the flavour of rubs, but my palate is a little sensitive when it comes to flavouring meat, so marinating might be enough for me) then oven bake IN the sauce.......Decisions decisions LOL

I also happened to be up during the wee hours (woke at 4, couldn't sleep again until after 6), so after taking the dog on an early walk I decided to be ambitious and start a batch of slowbaked beans with maple and onion in the crockpot. Those should be done just in time for dinner and the left overs will be even tastier!
Now I just have to decide on a vegetable to serve with it.
And.....am I ambitious enough to try to make some cornbread??? Cornbread recipe anyone?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ribs I really like are just slow cooked (either in a crock pot or oven) with bbq sauce (The best one is diana sauce) and a tiny bit of water to thin the sauce out. My mom makes them and they are really good. Sometimes they put about 1/2 a can of coke in them too, it makes them just fall right off the bone. If you were to do that though, I'd eliminate the water.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A tip to cooking ribs in the oven.

Before you add sauce and stuff, cook them uncovered at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, pour off the excess fat, turn the heat down to 325 and then add your sauce and cover.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is my rib recipe. It's a favourite of my friends and family and I get asked to make it a lot!

3 pounds ribs
3T flour or cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 seasoning salt
1/4 cup bacon fat
1 onion, chopped
1 or more cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, sliced
1/4 cup malt vinegar (or beer)
juice from 1/2 a lemon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup commercial BBQ sauce
1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup diced celery
1 carrot cut into strips

Combine salt, pepper and paprika. Rub on meat. Brown ribs in bacon fat. Remove ribs to roaster. In same pan, add onions and saute until translucent. Add balance of items. Heat until near boiling. Pour mixture over ribs.

Cover and bake until tender, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Baste periodically.

If you don't have time to bake them, you can use a pressure cooker. After browning the meat, add everything to a pressure cooker and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Here is my rib recipe. It's a favourite of my friends and family and I get asked to make it a lot!

3 pounds ribs
3T flour or cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 seasoning salt
1/4 cup bacon fat
1 onion, chopped
1 or more cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, sliced
1/4 cup malt vinegar
juice from 1/2 a lemon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup commercial BBQ sauce
1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup diced celery
1 carrot cut into strips

Combine salt, pepper and paprika. Rub on meat. Brown ribs in bacon fat. Remove ribs to roaster. In same pan, add onions and saute until translucent. Add balance of items. Heat until near boiling. Pour mixture over ribs.

Cover and bake until tender, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Baste periodically.

If you don't have time to bake them, you can use a pressure cooker. After browning the meat, add everything to a pressure cooker and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.

You can also add a splash of beer if you want.
Sounds delicious!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

A tip to cooking ribs in the oven.

Before you add sauce and stuff, cook them uncovered at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, pour off the excess fat, turn the heat down to 325 and then add your sauce and cover.
That's completely right! Absolutely cook them like above first, before marinating, then follow recipe. Thanks for the reminder!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch