Dry Food VS Wet Food

apric0t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wet food, IMO. But there is nothing wrong with feeding both.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Apric0t

Wet food, IMO. But there is nothing wrong with feeding both.
I would suggest and do for most kitties 50 wet 50 dry ... this seems to give all the wet benifits while being cost efficiant and conveniant... Of course if I had my way they would all eat raw

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat will only eat 'dry' rabbit and 'wet' fish. Of the two, the dry food is healthier for her.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wet food is healthier, although I can't afford an all wet diet. I'm feeding 1/3 wet and 2/3 dry due to vet's recommended diet (Lily's chubby). Wet is better for overweight kitties because it has less carbs, plus it makes them feel more full.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the Info and your Opinions

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't want to eat wet food unless it's garbage. She will eat high quality dry food. Therefore, the dry food is better for her.

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What kind of wet food do your kitties eat?

I introduced wet to them last week and Boo will eat it (he's the skinny one!) but Cody (Miss 23 pounder) snubbed her nose at all three kinds in the past week. UGH! I also discontinued free feeding...and she still won't eat it. Any advice?

fluffcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my boys is addicted to dry food - I switched them all to wet because of urinary issues but Rogue is adamant he wants dry, so now I feed them wet and give him a tiny handful of dry - he eats that and then fills up on wet! Best thing is I don't pay for dry as my pet store lets me take free sample bags for him....

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone Howler seems to really like the wet food more than the Dry food. Little Kera on the other hand wont eat but a few bites of the wet she likes the Dry food. Thanks everyone for sharing you advice on this subject

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovinmom828

Thanks everyone Howler seems to really like the wet food more than the Dry food. Little Kera on the other hand wont eat but a few bites of the wet she likes the Dry food. Thanks everyone for sharing you advice on this subject
We have the same situation. Bijou prefers wet and Mika prefers dry. This actually works out quite well for us since bijou is a big boy and needs to cut back on carbs and Mika is a tiny little thing and can use the extra carbs in the dry food.

xxpunkkittenxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah... i like to feed my cats dry food to break down tartar build up and what not... however when i move in with my bf and am with the cats all the time, i will portion their food as 50% wet and 50% dry becasue i feel they are both beneficail... just for now i could rather not pay to give my own cat a dental... lol

kirkstribble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have said dry...

But now? WET food is better!

Too many of my cats have gotten sick from eating dry food. I'm convinced the dry t/d was the thing that caused Sneezer's kidney failure. And it has led to Jafar's food intollerance (allergies) and her problem with IBD (or whatever her problem is). It may also be responsible for Cattie-Brie's liver problem! Dry food is good for keeping the teeth clean but in the long run it will cause your cat a lot of health problems. Add to that the fact that cats are CARNIVORES. They are designed for eating meat. All the grain in the dry food can lead to problems. Yes, some cats can eat it and it doesn't bother them at all. My boy cats seem to have no problem with dry food.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes Howler just did not do well on Dry foood, He seems happy and heathier on the wet food.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food here. I used to feed approx 75% dry and 25% wet in the mistaken belief that dry was good for their teeth. I now know better and that wet food is much better for them so it's mostly wet with a little bit of good quality dry before bed. Luckily mine aren't fussy and will eat anything I give them.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xXPunkKittenXx

yeah... i like to feed my cats dry food to break down tartar build up and what not... however when i move in with my bf and am with the cats all the time, i will portion their food as 50% wet and 50% dry becasue i feel they are both beneficail... just for now i could rather not pay to give my own cat a dental... lol
Actually dry food does little to nothing beneficial for their teeth. Cats don't "chew" and just break the larger pieces with the tip of the tooth and swallow. If you check out some of the other dry food/wet food information in this forum and links posted by some of the food guru's here, you'll find that a wet food diet really is best overall.

Unfortunately, I can't get Mika to understand that.
Ah well, since she is a little runt and can use all the extra carbs, I guess I'll live with it.