Rainy Days and Prozac Cats

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all
I was just going to make a thread about how lovely it is to come inside after being rained on (it's finally started raining here in SF), turn on the heat, pout on some warm dry clothes, and sit at the puter with a warm purry cat in your lap
Then I realized I haven't updated about Wonton in a while, so I thought I'd do both in this thread.

Wonton is good
He hasn't had a major freakout since he started Prozac. He isn't what I'd call 100% yet, but he is SO much better that I've decided to continue with the Prozac and see how it goes. Rick and I are also making a point to read his body language, and we've discovered that if his pupils go big and he starts sniffing intently, it's a good sign he's thinking of attacking, so before he can get into that mode, we pick him up and put him in the other room for a "time out". This has only been necessary once or twice since he started Prozac-before it was almost daily.

He's not nearly as jumpy as he used to be, and he just seems more laid-back in general. I'm hoping he'll improve a bit more as time goes by.

As for rainy days - I got soaked walking to the corner store for a sandwhich (turkey and avocado, it was delicious), but I came back, put on a sweater, turned on the heat, and then Wonton asked to get in my lap. He's curled up right now, and he makes a really nice hot water bottle ...and he's softer

Just thought I'd update for anyone who was curious. It might seem wierd, or silly to some people, to have a cat on Prozac, but hey - it's working

evepie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thats really great, i hope everything continues to go well for you both. Sounds like you're a great meowmy.

give Wonton a stroke from me xxx

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does strike some people as silly - but they don't know the situation. To me, you're doing all you can to help your cat have a better life, and I'm glad to hear it's working.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the Prozac has helped! My Ophelia is on Amitriptyline(an anti-depressant) for her aggression issues...and while it has only been a week I have seen marked improvement.

Hopefully, soon enough, Wonton can be taken off the Prozac & continue to live a normal cat-life being worshipped!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm glad to hear the Prozac has helped! My Ophelia is on Amitriptyline(an anti-depressant) for her aggression issues...and while it has only been a week I have seen marked improvement.

Hopefully, soon enough, Wonton can be taken off the Prozac & continue to live a normal cat-life being worshipped!
That's interesting...I"ve never heard of Amitriptyline used in cats. Can I ask what kind of aggression she had? Was it toward people or other pets in the home, or..? Wontons seems fear-based.. he just gets scared really easily, and then feels like he has to attack to defend himself.

And thanks everyone

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great to hear Wonton is coming along nicely. And send some of that rain down to us here is Los Angeles!

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear that Wonton is doing so much better. It's nice to when you can see a change. I hope things continue to improve.

It's been raining all day here!!