If your furbaby is sick or had surgery do you take off work??

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Anya turns 6 months old this month, so I'm forcing myself to be responsible even though I hate the idea of my poor little girl being shaved and cut on, and scheduled her spay appointment this morning for Thursday, November 30th.

I drop her off between 7 and 8 am, then pick her up the next morning after they call me around 10:00. I've already told everyone at work that I'm taking that Friday off to pick her up and take her home and be with her and keep an eye on her.

Do you take off work after your furbaby has had surgery or no? Am I obsessive?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have taken off work the day following Dori's spay. I scheduled her appt for a Friday though. That way I had two days to spend with her.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont work outside the home, but I certainly plan anything that needs to be done outside the home completely around the health of my babies! When they were spayed and neutered, I was with them for a whole solid week, never leaving the house once.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I chose other because I have taken off work and other times I have felt comfortable leaving them home. I also have the option of taking my babies to work with me.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't take the next day off, I wasn't able to, but I did pick him up earlier that afternoon to pick him up, so I was able to spend the afternoon and evening with him to observe him.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emily, I think you'll be ok just taking off that Friday, assuming that you are off on the weekends too. I just had LuckyGirl dont in Sept. Now I didn't leave her overnight I brought her home the same day so she was way out of it from the anesthesia. But I think now, it's better to leave them overnight if your not emotionally prepared...when you pick her up the next day she will still be walking funny (low to the ground) and maybe misjudging a few steps (going to the side a bit on the back end), but she will be fine. It's good that you'll be with her to help her. They say to remove the lid to the litter box (if you have a lid) so she doesn't have to struggle or lift a leg much to get into it. And see that she gets plenty of water, maybe they get cotton mouth but Lucky drank alot when she came home. Also, see if you can get a water dish that is higher up, but sturdy as Lucky knocked hers over a few times on accident, so she doesn't have to reach down too low or too high for food/water. Take away things that she may want to jump on for the first 48 hrs...so she doesn't strain herself in any way... Hope this helps. I was a wreck with LuckyGirl, but she was really feeling the effects of the drugs, and I wasn't ready for it, or emotionally prepared. I spent the night sobbing. But you won't have to see all of that with Anya, cause she'll be at the vets when she first wakes up. This will be good cause she won't be able to move around alot and hurt herself. Good luck Emily! Good luck little Anya!!! We will keep her in our prayers! Nov 30th right?

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took off when my little girl got spayed but I did not have to let the vet keep her overnight so I wanted to watch her. If you can do go ahead. I had both Cassidy and Redford done at the same time but let me tell you Redford bounced back much quicker than my little girl.

Tricia

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I would have taken off work the day following Dori's spay. I scheduled her appt for a Friday though. That way I had two days to spend with her.
I did the same with both of them, then had Friday night and all weekend with them. Plus my vet is open Sat mornings, so if there were issues I could go right back in.

However, if Thursday was my only choice, then yes, I would take Friday off to stay home with my furkid.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
it would really depend on how sick he/she was. Mouse got sick over the holidays, which was good, because i probably would've stayed home with her. my others had surgery on saturday mornings, so by the time monday came around they were pretty much back to normal.
if he/she was very sick, or needed care, i'd take off for a day, maybe 2. but more than that would be hard. i'm single - if i take off too much, not only would i starve, but so would the cats - plus, i wouldn't have the
to pay the vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Emily, I think you'll be ok just taking off that Friday, assuming that you are off on the weekends too. I just had LuckyGirl dont in Sept. Now I didn't leave her overnight I brought her home the same day so she was way out of it from the anesthesia. But I think now, it's better to leave them overnight if your not emotionally prepared...when you pick her up the next day she will still be walking funny (low to the ground) and maybe misjudging a few steps (going to the side a bit on the back end), but she will be fine. It's good that you'll be with her to help her. They say to remove the lid to the litter box (if you have a lid) so she doesn't have to struggle or lift a leg much to get into it. And see that she gets plenty of water, maybe they get cotton mouth but Lucky drank alot when she came home. Also, see if you can get a water dish that is higher up, but sturdy as Lucky knocked hers over a few times on accident, so she doesn't have to reach down too low or too high for food/water. Take away things that she may want to jump on for the first 48 hrs...so she doesn't strain herself in any way... Hope this helps. I was a wreck with LuckyGirl, but she was really feeling the effects of the drugs, and I wasn't ready for it, or emotionally prepared. I spent the night sobbing. But you won't have to see all of that with Anya, cause she'll be at the vets when she first wakes up. This will be good cause she won't be able to move around alot and hurt herself. Good luck Emily! Good luck little Anya!!! We will keep her in our prayers! Nov 30th right?
It is on the 30th, and then I pick her up on December 1st and am spending the day at home with her, and then the rest of the weekend as well.

Thanks for all the great advice!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends. I wouldn't for a spay/neuter unless I got them home and they looked REALLY bad. After working in a spay/neuter clinic, I know they recover fast, and generally just want to sleep anyway. So I'd probably just leave work early.

If they're sick to the point they NEED me home to take care of them, then absolutely. Otherwise I'd just check in at lunchtime and/or leave early.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted "other" . If my furbabies have had a major surgery or are very ill- I definitely will take off to take care of them. If they just have a minor illness or something non sever, I will usually go to work and come home on my breaks between school and work to check on them....Also If i am unable to take off work, I will leave them up at the shelter for my friends to watch them till I get off or I will leave them with a family member who can keep an eye on them if they are free. I try not to leave them unsupervised unless it's something minor. When I had my rabbit Sophie spayed, I took off two days because rabbits really can't be left unattended after sedation (they react much more to medications and anestesia than say a dog or cat would in most cases.) She tried to rip out her incisions and her E-collar off of her - so had I not stayed off work, she probably would have seriously harmed herself. So i try to make a good judgement call when it concerns my furbabies

phishmarisol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Never had to make that choice but yes I absolutely would. There is no one else to look after her and I consider her family.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would depend. Major surgery definitely. A spay - would depend how they were. Optional surgery I always schedule for a Friday so I have the weekend with them.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I feel kind of bad now. I didn't take off work after Polly had her bladder biopsy surgery. She stayed at the vet's until I got off work and then I picked her up after work. I went to work the next day, but I locked her in the bathroom so she wouldn't play too rough with Prego.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

Wow, I feel kind of bad now. I didn't take off work after Polly had her bladder biopsy surgery. She stayed at the vet's until I got off work and then I picked her up after work. I went to work the next day, but I locked her in the bathroom so she wouldn't play too rough with Prego.
And she probably slept all day quite happily! Most cats will just sleep off that sort of thing, and keeping her confined and separated was the right thing to do.

Not staying home with your kitty whenever he/she is ill doesn't make you a bad pet owner, just like staying home every time your pet is sick does not make you a crazy cat lady/man.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would have to depend how serious it was.. My boss wouldn't just let me stay home because of a "cat"

And it is very hard for me to lie..I can't lie..

So if it was like a normal spay surgery or something, I would probably not be able to stay home....BUT if Trout was like super sick and noone knew why and it was all serious..I would lie and say I was sick and be with Trout.

Actually, I recall when Trout almost died in March, she was at the vet, and I was at work..but I didn't get anything done that day, I was just bawling and not really working at all..just looking up her condition online all day..I left for my lunch to check on her and then left early though..

Work sucks when kits are sick.