We have babies

mcbnpjtasa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The mommy cat we took in had her babies last night.She had 3.1 is solid grey tabby,1is black and whiteand 1 has a grey tabby head and back and the rest is white.She acted normal yesterday ate well when we went to bed she hopped in bed with us so i put her in the closet in the basket i put in there for her and like 30 minutes later we heard the 1st tiny meow rom her.I stayed up with her until after the 2nd was born then fell asleep while waiting on the 3rd.I havnt had baby kittens since i was a kid.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
congrats , so pleased that everything went well. remember dont let her get back outside untill she has been spayed as she can become pregnant straight away

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcbnpjtasa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
guess i wrote thios to soon.I just took her up some water and there are now 5 babies.I hope she is done now.The newest 2 are a grey tabby and a grey with brown stripes.I like how all 5 look different now i cant mix them up.I have a couple of ? How much can you handle the new babies
when do there eyes open and they all have what looks like a umbilical cord hanging from there belly is this normal to have on them

mcbnpjtasa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

congrats , so pleased that everything went well. remember dont let her get back outside untill she has been spayed as she can become pregnant straight away
I have no plans on her going back outside we live in the city and i dont let my cats out here.Since i took her in she doesnt even go to the door to go out she loves the life of an indoor cat.I cant believe how much she is purring this morning i wish i could have felt that good right after giving birth.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new family. They sound so beautiful. Welcoming headbuts and be healthy for life licks from KittenKiya's Clan.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mcbnpjtasa

I have no plans on her going back outside we live in the city and i dont let my cats out here.Since i took her in she doesnt even go to the door to go out she loves the life of an indoor cat.I cant believe how much she is purring this morning i wish i could have felt that good right after giving birth.
i would still have a plan to confine her and her kittens. For one thing, it will help the kittens learn the essentials from mom....litterbox and eating solid food. Additionally, lots of people who have taken in strays are surprised when their once very affectionate cat goes back into heat and attempts to get back outside. That is why it is very important this this girl has no opportunity to get back outdoors again until she is spayed.

I'm glad everything went well.

Katie

mcbnpjtasa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am absolutly in love with these kittens.I had not seen kittens 1st born since i was a child i just cant get enough of watching them.Mommy cat doesnt mind me in the room she starts purring and rubbing her head on my hand to get me to pet her.My daughter and i decided we should call the kittens something while we have them so we have come up with
Patches
Frisky
Princess
Sparky
and Tennyson

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gosh! Five kits to find homes for... I'm betting you will end up keeping at least one though--they really really grow on you!! (But be careful if you keep a male, because they can get their own mom pregnant. No kidding. Like everybody else is saying, get that mommy cat spayed, because there's way too many kits already, being put to sleep in shelters... poor things.)

Soo... d'you have pictures? *hopeful grin*

You mentioned umbilical cords--yep, that's normal; kits have 'em just like human babies. They'll drop off.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mcbnpjtasa

guess i wrote thios to soon.I just took her up some water and there are now 5 babies.I hope she is done now.The newest 2 are a grey tabby and a grey with brown stripes.I like how all 5 look different now i cant mix them up.I have a couple of ? How much can you handle the new babies
when do there eyes open and they all have what looks like a umbilical cord hanging from there belly is this normal to have on them
I handle them a little right from the start. Especially if Momma is friendly about it. (You don't want to stress the Momma out!)

I like to use a scale to weigh them once a day. I just pick each one up real briefly at first. If you keep them away from Momma for too long, they cry and she gets upset. Then they begin to grow up quick...once their eyes are open, you can hold them longer, and pet them. Be careful mixing kids and kittens. (I foster, and have kids!) Sometimes it is so tempting for a child to want to pick up newborns, or over handle the tiny kittens. I am very firm at first, and only let the kids in the room with me. Then use your judgement as the kittens get older, and depending on the maturity of your child. My 10 y/o dd is wonderful with the kittens, but her friend who is also 10 needs to be closely monitored.

Congrats on your bundles of love. How lucky the Momma is to have found you!

mcbnpjtasa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i was really worried about my 2 year old sneaking in the room so i had my husband put a lock on the outside of my bedroom door so if he is upstairs i just lock the door now.I went to petsmart and got the mom some kitten food some wet and dry.I didnt realize she should be eating kitten food untill i found this site.I also saw this huge cat tree i love and my husband said we can get it next month for the cats for christmas.I am going to put it by the dining room window because our cats love looking outside.I will be getting mommy cat fixed as soon as the babies are weaned.Also it is time for us to redo our flea treatment does anyone know if the mommy cat can still be treated.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the babies!

As for flea treatment, if she doesnt have them you dont need to redo it. I think its harmful to put so much chemicals on our babies. Ceci doesnt get flea or tick treatment because she is inside only.

She has her basic shots and will only get as few as possible.