Looking for ideas about tracking cat litter

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We are finally buying a brand new house, and I am trying to think of ideas to keep the tracking of the cat litter down. I use large rubbermaid containers as litterbox's (Cali get's a little excited about digging in the cat litter and sends it flying), but when the cat's jump out of them they always bring a bunch of litter out with them. Where I am at now we have hardwood floors and it is easy to sweep or use the shop vac to clean up, but the new house is carpet. Any ideas, suggetions?

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This may be a stupid suggestion and not even work.

Maybe you could buy some astroturf or a similar material and hot gule it all on the lid of the containers.

We have our litterbox in the corner of a carpeted room and we just used a decent sized (cheap) rug underneith the rubbermaid container, and we vaccum often. The litter still does get tracked, but ideally we vaccum around it at least 2xs a week.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will probably have to do some cleaning around the litterboxes at least once a day. So instead of getting out the vacuum cleaner all the time you might try getting either a carpet sweeper or one of those new carpet flicks. And btw, those carpet flicks are great!!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

You will probably have to do some cleaning around the litterboxes at least once a day. So instead of getting out the vacuum cleaner all the time you might try getting either a carpet sweeper or one of those new carpet flicks. And btw, those carpet flicks are great!!!
I have a Swiffer Carpet Flicker thing and its awesome for picking up litter!

You can buy litter tracking matts at petsmart/petco - or anywhere else that sells pet supplies

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walmart (and I'm sure other places
) also have "astroturf" type doormats that I have outside to keep the sandbox (real one, for a kid
) sand down to a minimum, and so far, so good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have the lids on the containers (because Sturgis would trap Cali in there and then she would stop using it all together). As far as putting the astroturf/carpet (which I do have now), my crazy cats launch them selves out of the litterbox (I guess they feel 10 pounds lighter) and track it several feet away without ever touching the carpet I have under there now. I have pretty much come to the same solution (cleaning a little everyday), but I figured it would be worth a shot to see if anyone had any "miracle cures".

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two pets: one that tracks the litter (my cat Marcie), and one that loves to pick it up (my Roomba Junior). The litterbox is on a vinyl floor, so I bought some carpeting to put in front so that Marcie would wipe her paws as she exited the box (yeah right). When this didn't work (becuase she launches out of her box and clears the carpet entirely), we bought another carpet so she couldn't help but wipe her feet. She still tracks litter onto the carpet. We just turn Junior loose a couple of times a week and he takes care of the litter in the carpet. (is it normal to consider the vacuum a pet?

noisycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I'm also trying to sort out something to stop litter tracking...

The plan is to make something like the anti-tracking ones I've seen on internet sites where the cat has to kind of go through a tunnel:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/likesbikes/lc900int2.jpg
Can't remember where I saw this now - but wasn't available in the UK unfortunately - I guess we're way behind in litter technology here

Hubby and I made one out of cardboard as a test and it worked once our Sassie got used to it
there was less tracking so next stage is to see if we can make something out of wood that's decent enough to look like we meant it.

Failing that I was thinking of getting a 'booda dome' but i can't find them in the UK so might see if i can get one sent from the USA or something.

Hope this might have helped....

Rosie

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've thought of something like that, but once again Sturgis is a little "$&*! head" (he answers to turd face) and would lay in wait for either Spirit or most likely Cali and trap them once they were in there. The containers we are using are see through, so the other cats can see him coming, but that doesn't always stop him when he is in a mood.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Naughty Sturgis! What a bully.
We have our litterbox angled so the cats are forced to go in and out one way, and I use a long strip of plastic carpet protector. It does look a little ugly, but it's super easy to clean. I've got a bunch of litter mats all angled around so they're not able to launch themselves clear.
You can buy that carpet protector from Home Depot by the yard, it's not too expensive, and that way you can get a couple of long strips that the cats have to walk on to get to the box.
It collects litter well, but doesn't wipe off wet poo like carpet does.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two squares of carpet under the two sides of the litterbox that don't touch the wall.

A welcome mat just inside the bathroom door traps the last of the tracked litter that the carpet didn't get.

Gizmo never tracks anywhere save in the bathroom, and a broom takes care of that.

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for all the great ideas, I will decide which ones will work best for which litterbox's once we work ou placement of them.

fecker22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The best cat litter we have tried is the pine pellets, less smell and easy to remove the pee as it goes like saw dust, doesnt seem to go all over the house either!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best no track litter I found was wood stove pellets