What would you HONESTLY do??

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I sell insurance for a living, and once a month we have to cold call people to see if we can quote them a lower auto/home insurance premium...

Some people are so rude and I don't get it...we are trying to see if we can save them money

What would you honestly say to me if I called you? Just curious.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would look at at the caller ID and then let it go to voice mail
unless of course it said "Natalie or Trouts mom"

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Honestly?? Well I wouldn't answer because I have Caller ID, but if I did answer, I would probably say "No thank you, I am not interested", then hang up before you could try to talk me into it any more.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be totally honest, I screen my calls and wouldn't answer you (unless of course I knew it was YOU and not just someone from your company)

As far as insurance, if I did answer you, I would probably pull out all the files and see if I could save money at work on our insurance there because our insurance is really expensive and saving $$$ is the one thing my boss does appreciate... if you got me at home, it would be a polite No Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would you say no thanks? What would it hurt to get a quote?

I don't get it

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since I wouldn't recognize your number on the call display, I'd most likely let you talk to the voicemail. If you happened to catch me at an idle moment, and I picked up the phone out of curiosity, I'd be mildly POd at the intrusion (don't appreciate those cold calls), but would manage a polite "not interested" and ask to be put on your "do not call" list.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Why would you say no thanks? What would it hurt to get a quote?

I don't get it
From your point of view it wouldnt hurt to get a quote. But most people want to get that info on their own time, when they are looking for it. Theres just something about someone calling you while you are preoccupid doing your own thing that most people wont even stop to listen to what you have to say. Unless they happen to be in the process of finding cheaper insurance.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

From your point of view it wouldnt hurt to get a quote. But most people want to get that info on their own time, when they are looking for it. Theres just something about someone calling you while you are preoccupid doing your own thing that most people wont even stop to listen to what you have to say. Unless they happen to be in the process of finding cheaper insurance.
I think the same thing. I wouldn't take it personally!
I agree - if people are in the process of looking for cheaper insurance, they would rather contact you instead of them being contacted when they least expect it.

You can call me! I'd listen!

Do you answer telemarketer/cold calls when they call you at home?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Honestly?? Well I wouldn't answer because I have Caller ID, but if I did answer, I would probably say "No thank you, I am not interested", then hang up before you could try to talk me into it any more.
This is exactly what I would do...

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

That's exactly what I do. What really irritates me is when caller ID comes up as unknown so I answer and find out it's someone selling something. Sorry, Natalie, I know you have to do this as part of your job. It's just that I hate getting calls like this.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dammit, I am NOT a telemarketer!! I am just friendly Natalie trying to do my job

I am trying to HELP people!!!

I know its not personal, but its hard to keep your chin up when people are rude and hang up on me

Oh, and I don't try and talk people into anything..if they say no thanks, I say have a good night then..I am very friendly I swear!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I agree.

I look at my telephone as my connection to the outside world from my home. Something I use to communicate with my friends/family and deal with other matters in my life. If I want people to call me I give them my phone number.

I consider my home private and a stranger calling me or knocking on my door trying to sell me something that I had not asked to be contacted about, is an intrusion into my home and my "space". Especially when it's something like insurance that requires giving out personal/private information in order to get a quote.

I do understand the nature of your job because many years ago I used to telephone solicit and I had a mixed bag of results. I wasn't selling anything, just booking appointments for a sales person to go demonstrate a vacuum (and then try and sell it), but I wasn't doing any selling.

As far as insurance goes, I would be more inclined to respond if I received a nicely made up flyer or a business card in my mail box. That gives me the option to call or not, and the person isn't "barging into my home" through the telephone or by knocking on my door.

Another idea instead of "cold calling" is to have an "open house" kind of thing... like an afternoon tea or something where people could drop by and get a quote from you in your home, or in a community centre or a local church. Or set up a small booth in a mall where people can stop by. You could make up pretty flyers and have them delivered in your area.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I agree.

I look at my telephone as my connection to the outside world from my home. Something I use to communicate with my friends/family and deal with other matters in my life. If I want people to call me I give them my phone number.

I consider my home private and a stranger calling me or knocking on my door trying to sell me something that I had not asked to be contacted about, is an intrusion into my home and my "space". Especially when it's something like insurance that requires giving out personal/private information in order to get a quote.

I do understand the nature of your job because many years ago I used to telephone solicit and I had a mixed bag of results. I wasn't selling anything, just booking appointments for a sales person to go demonstrate a vacuum (and then try and sell it), but I wasn't doing any selling.

As far as insurance goes, I would be more inclined to respond if I received a nicely made up flyer or a business card in my mail box. That gives me the option to call or not, and the person isn't "barging into my home" through the telephone or by knocking on my door.
So, are you saying you would rather someone leave something in your mailbox without knocking on your door?

We used to go door to door, but we got more of a good reply when we just called...but perhaps just leaving something in the mailbox would be less intrusive?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something in my mailbox is definitely less intrusive.

Also, I edited my post above to add another paragraph. So have another look. I offered some other suggestions on ways you may be able to give quotes to people.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Quite honestly, if one of us other than Jamie actually answered the phone (unlikely in this household), you'd probably get, "Sorry, not interested!" I find such calls "intrusive", and can react rather aggressively.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The thing is... why should I drop everything that I am doing the moment my phone rings to talk to a sales person, or in your case someone who wants me to change my car insurance? I understand that it hurts your feelings when someone says they aren't interested and then just hang up, but why should the people being called be obligated to waste their time.
I think you will find that a majority of people who handle calls from you in this manner have at some point tried to be as nice and courteous as they could be to a cold caller, only to get stuck on the phone for several minutes to discuss something they aren't interested in. Time is very valuable to some people.
Another thought, we all know how sweet you are Natalie, but not everyone is like you. I have the authority to make certain decisions in my job, but because I always answer the phone, telemarketers assume that I low on the totem pole and talk to me in a very condescending manner... Taking 10 calls like that a day can really put a bad taste in someones mouth when it comes to sales calls. Let's not get into the door to door salespeople who ignore the large "No soliciting" sign on the door and walk in anyway. That's just rude!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Quite honestly, if one of us other than Jamie actually answered the phone (unlikely in this household), you'd probably get, "Sorry, not interested!" I find such calls "intrusive", and can react rather aggressively.
That's the word I was looking for when I was posting. I do find them very "intrusive".

Thanks, Tricia.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, thats very interesting.

Thanks for your input everyone, I have to say I am surprised at the responses.

Oh well though..thanks

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think on matters like insurance (and funeral pre-planning services and making a will) perople would just as soon NOT think about them. That's why you get such negative reactions sometimes. People don't want to be faced with their own mortality or the potential loss of their property, and your call makes them have to think about it.

What to do to make this more pleasant for you as a salesperson? Just some suggestions on what might make it easier (for me anyway)

Only use my title and surname and the Company name when introducing myself (make it less personal, first names sorta make you have something invested in the conversation)
Only refer to the person you are calling by their title and surname (and making sure you properly pronounce it
that PISSES people off)
Asking them if they would be interested in finding out more about your Company's services and possibly save some money.
At that point, give them the opportunity to accept or decline BEFORE going into a 5 minute speech about what your Company can do for them. Getting their attention at the beginning is important, and most people just shut down when you give them too much information at one time.
If they accept, you can then give a more detailed description of your Company's services and get additional information to contact them further.
If they decline, a polite "Thank you for your time and have a great day" will leave them with a positive image of your call.

I think it's all about being brief and to the point.

JNHO. (just neet's humble opinion.)