Anyone here work in an all male environment?

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just started a new job (manufacturing) and will be working with all guys on a daily basis. Never had to be the only female in the workplace so not sure what to expect. Any tips to cut through the macho egos and get them to regard me as an equal?

I haven't had any problems yet, but will be enforcing procedures & standards across the plant soon so they most likely will not love me.
Anyone else work in a similar environment?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just don't go there expecting to be treated differently or given special privileges because of your gender.

Now on the other hand if the guys are crude vulgar to you and giving you a hard time, then you should discuss that in private with your boss.

It should be ok though. I'm sure they have had women in the work environment before.

Years ago I worked for a company that was primarily male, with the exception of me and the other girl in the office with me. I found everyone to be very respectful.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work in an all male environment at my old job. I was the office manager at a body shop - and all the techs and my mgr were all male. They all knew their boundries, and how to treat me, I was lucky that I was surrounded my great guys (well, my boss was a jerk, but not in that kinda way) but they were so very respectful, and watched out for me just like they were my 'big brothers'.

I'd definately make them aware that you need to be treated like a worker - no different than anyone else, just because you are female. They should treat you with respect.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in aircraft maintenance, so it's me and two other ladies with about 45 guys. They are all pretty cool, and I am more "one of the guys" than one of the girls. The other two are more girlie girlie office workers, I actually work with the techs on getting them reference data and tools and supplies, so I get treated the same as they treat each other. I have learned in 20 years in the business to dish it out, cause they sure will.

janb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I worked in an all male environment when i worked at comet. It was a service department and i worked along side the engineers and the guys that ordered and stored spare parts for items. It was great, although a few of them were a little too over-protective. Whenever the delivery people came they shoved me in a room cos they knew one of their drivers fancied me. I knew though who i could go to if i ever had trouble with someone.
I was actually sexually assaulted by an area manager once and i had a line of guys waiting for him to beat him up. They all had to be stopped by a different manager

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been "one of the boys" for many years now. Being one of the few females that is: into comic books, video games, sci fi, and other "nerdy" things. I'll give you this advice, just be direct. The less you skirt the issue the more they will understand. Also, be yourself! I believe men can tell if you are trying to put one over on them.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

They all knew their boundries, and how to treat me, I was lucky that I was surrounded my great guys (well, my boss was a jerk, but not in that kinda way) but they were so very respectful, and watched out for me just like they were my 'big brothers'.

I'd definately make them aware that you need to be treated like a worker - no different than anyone else, just because you are female. They should treat you with respect.
there are actually 3 females at work, two of us are younger are are treated like one of the boys, apart from the occasional worker who will make everyone apologise for so much as sneezing near us, who are like the protective big brothers. They all pop into the office to say hi etc. The other woman is older and maintains more of an office/warehouse staff type relationship with them - gets the information she needs and that is it. It really depends how you want to be treated.

I am quite happy to be one of the boys and sit out with them and chat on breaks etc, the other woman isn't and the new girl is very like me - they accept us all, but treat us according to how we wish to be treated

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

The other two are more girlie girlie office workers, I actually work with the techs on getting them reference data and tools and supplies, so I get treated the same as they treat each other. I have learned in 20 years in the business to dish it out, cause they sure will.

I work for our family business and my mom & I are the only girls in the place. There are about 8 guys that I deal with on a daily basis in the office & a few more that work out of their home to cover different areas of the state. Anyway- when I first started they gave me a hard time but I can be pretty sarcastic... we go through our cycles of getting along & not necessarily getting along- sort of like a brother/sister relationship. My personality allows me to fit in pretty easily because like Neetanddave said you have to dish it out, cause they sure will!

phishmarisol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm one of the few males at my company. In fact every single supervisor and the director is female. There was one male supervisor before but when the new director came he got the boot. They've taken over.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my chosen carrer, it tends to be very male dominated. I have found that it's important to show them early on that I'm not the type of person they can push around or easily upset.

As far as the supervisory side of things I always try to be firm but fair and it's always worked for me