introducing new female to resident female

chris_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we have a fixed female cat and are looking for a companion

I've heard stories going both way, as to whether it's better to introduce a male to a female.

Will two females be enemies for life in spite of my best efforts?

Does it matter whether or not either of them is or is not fixed?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that the resident females in most cases accept a new male faster and better then another female - doesn't matter if they are fixed or not.

The sooner you neuter/spay all the cats, the better they will get along.

It depends on your females personality - is she laid back or more terrritorial?

That is why we are adopting a male ocicat. Our resident female has her grandmothers attitude of being "boss female".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chris_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is pretty laid back but we are concerned with the urine smell from the male cat we are looking to adopt. He is 3 and getting neutered tomorrow and was a breeder cat....

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chris_s

Will two females be enemies for life in spite of my best efforts?

Does it matter whether or not either of them is or is not fixed?
When I adopted my second cat I was also wondering if it would be better to get a boy or girl. I was told my several different people (workers at the rescue group and my vet) that the gender of the cat isn't as important as the cats personalities. My first cat was a girl and the cat I wanted was another female both are spayed. Princess (my first cat who is VERY spoiled and used to being the center of attention) DID NOT like Patsy for a long time but now accepts her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chris_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes I also have been reading/hearing that personalities, and also the method of introduction, plays the largest role in the cats' long term relationship.

thanks for the advice!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chris,

Be sure you have two litter boxes if the male has been recently neutered. The smell will subside in a short time, but it would be less upsetting for each to have their own pan. And scoop often so she won't be upset.