Best type of collar??

verynycegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin had his rabies shot at the Vet today and they gave me a little rabies tag....I guess that means that Pumpkin is going to need a collar to proudly display his rabies tag! Any suggestion on what type to buy???

Tracy

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use safety collars on my cats. Miki always manages to get hers off though I don't bother anymore. Tyran however has been wearing hers for two months now and has never taken it off. It even has a little bell to let me know when she's coming.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that ended up hanging from her collar...I refuse to put any sort of collar on a cat. I think that a harness is a better idea, but not without supervision.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I had a cat that ended up hanging from her collar...I refuse to put any sort of collar on a cat. I think that a harness is a better idea, but not without supervision.
Was it a breakaway collar? Even with breakaways you need to check it periodically. My Collie pup had a breakaway collar, simply because she is a mischievious girl. Well she ended up chewing on the buckle and the breakaway feature was destroyed.

I personally refuse to have Ceci without a collar, simply because someone can leave my door open and she can get out. I only take it off late at night, and before anyone opens the door in the morning I put it back on.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

you can also get safety collars at Ragtime Collars. she has loads of fabrics to choose from!
I bought two collars from her a few months ago, and they arrived in 2 days. I'm very happy with the decision to purchase from her.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

I bought two collars from her a few months ago, and they arrived in 2 days. I'm very happy with the decision to purchase from her.
me, too - i was so pleased that i ordered a 2nd one for Java. i decided i preferred a contrasting collar to a coordinating collar for her. so i have an extra one hanging around.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I don't like to use collars. None of my cats had collars - mixed or pedigree. Ling had a collar for awhile (breakaway) only cause she's mostly black and it was easy to hear where she was in the dark.

Also she had a habit (and still does if we are not careful) to try and sneak outside. But otherwise, none of the cats have collars. If the pet is indoor/outdoor I can see having it.

The rabies tags were just put in a drawer just in case.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats are not licensed in Michigan so I've never seen a rabies tag for any of them. The vet just gives me a certificate when they get their shots.

I use breakaway collars on all my cats. I buy little ID tubes to put on their collars with our info and their Avid Microchip numbers in them, but I don't put their Avid tags on the collars. They lose collars too often to expect tags to be permanent.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

me, too - i was so pleased that i ordered a 2nd one for Java. i decided i preferred a contrasting collar to a coordinating collar for her. so i have an extra one hanging around.
I only have one cat, but when I saw all of the cute fabrics on the Ragtime site, it was all I could do to *only* get two! I am going to get a few more here soon...can't wait any longer

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

I buy little ID tubes to put on their collars with our info and their Avid Microchip numbers in them, but I don't put their Avid tags on the collars. They lose collars too often to expect tags to be permanent.
Yeah, that's what I do too... The ID tubes are nice because you can fit a lot of info! Much more than on a tag... Plus they're smaller than a tag so less annoying to the cat, and they don't get tarnished/rubbed like a tag does.
I've found too many stray cats who obviously had homes at some point to let my cat run around without a collar on. Even though she's an indoor cat, things can happen...

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of the permanant residents get break away collars with bells that I hang thier tags on. Holly is the only kitty that gets to go outside and I am going to get her chipped soon. Sometimes when everyone is playing cat-tag someone will lose a collar. Dianna and Shadow hate to be without thier "jewlery" Shadow has even brought me his collar to put back on him after it came off.
I am off to look at RagTime to see what I like. The selection at my local Petco is very limited.

Thanks for the link

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of my cats (with the exception of Miki, cause she's a spoiled little brat) will have breakaway collars. Any cat that comes into my home will have its own collar with tag and bell and all will be microchipped.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Soka

Any cat that comes into my home will have its own collar with tag and bell and all will be microchipped.
I esp. like the bells because you can hear them, and if I can't find her, if I hear the bell I: A) Know she's in the house and hasn't escaped and B) can find her quicker, usually.