or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Behavior › Constantly hungry cat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Constantly hungry cat

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I am looking for some advice for dealing with a cat that is constantly hungry. She is 2, almost 3, and is CONSTANTLY crying for food. We have her on a regular food schedule, but on the days we are home from work, and during the weekend, she will cry all day long. She also acts out to get us to get up and feed her. She'll chew on wires, push things off of tables and bookshelves, etc. When we get up and walk over to her, she'll run into the kitchen as if we were going to feed her.

Also, she wakes us up every night by crying, pushing things off of our nightstands, and clawing at the large (thankfully, light) framed tapestry we have over the bed - knocking it down at least four times a week....

We have another cat, her brother - same age, who is nothing like this. He's pretty calm and never begs for food. I'm just not sure what to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
post #2 of 10
Are you SURE she is hungry, or that she wants attention? Chewing on wires is not feeding behavior.

Is she needy?
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
She's not really needy. She is pretty independent - aside from this. She gets plenty of attention and absolutely loves her brother. Could I be overlooking something? When we're watching tv at night, she'll cry, walk toward the tv, sit by the wires, and chew them when we look over at her....
post #4 of 10
Yep, she must have been tallking to Tammy-Timmy. Tammy will walk over to something expensive, look at me and knock it over.

I feel that perhaps she may be looking for attention. Is she gaining weight, she is eating OK, she is drinking?

My only concern would be the electric wires and shock. Maybe you migh want to consider hding them or taping them up.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Great idea about the wires - she doesn't really chew through them, but I'll definitely tape them up when I get home.

She's a little overweight, but is eating and drinking regularly. I'll have to try and tire her out before bedtime.....hopefully she'll grow out of this.....and hopefully her tasts won't improve enough to start breaking expensive things!
post #6 of 10
This may be way off base, but is she wanting to drink more as well? Is it possible that she may have diabetes? I don't know much about it, but thats the first thing that pops into my head if anyone (animal or human) is constantly hungry or thirsty or using the bathroom more than normal. Good luck figuring out what she is trying to tell you!
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole View Post
This may be way off base, but is she wanting to drink more as well? Is it possible that she may have diabetes? I don't know much about it, but thats the first thing that pops into my head if anyone (animal or human) is constantly hungry or thirsty or using the bathroom more than normal. Good luck figuring out what she is trying to tell you!
Good point. What IS using the bathroom more than normal? My cat Lucky (1 1/2 year old female) who I've had only for about a month...also acts as if I am starving her and drinks a lot of water. Just praying that I'm not missing warning signs or anything.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLover77 View Post
Good point. What IS using the bathroom more than normal? My cat Lucky (1 1/2 year old female) who I've had only for about a month...also acts as if I am starving her and drinks a lot of water. Just praying that I'm not missing warning signs or anything.

I'm not sure as to what is "normal". I guess it may depend on the cat, how much they use the bathroom, etc. If you are really worried, you can always call and ask your vet!
post #9 of 10
If Lucky is drinking more than you think is normal and acts like she's starving, I'd definitely check with the vet (blood test, poss. urine test) because it won't go away by itself if it is either diabetes or something similar, and you need to find out before she gets worse.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larke View Post
If Lucky is drinking more than you think is normal and acts like she's starving, I'd definitely check with the vet (blood test, poss. urine test) because it won't go away by itself if it is either diabetes or something similar, and you need to find out before she gets worse.
I agree, always better to be safe than sorry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Behavior › Constantly hungry cat