Mad

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me and my boyfriend were supposed to buy a car off a girl that he works with. He had signed a car contract and was all ready to give her the first thousand tomorrow and the last $800 next week. Yesterday she emails him and says that her loan got screwed up and now she probably can't sell us her car. She has the money to buy her new car because she borrowed it off of her Grandpa and she was going to repay him with the loan. I'm sooooo mad at her now. I know its nothing she can help but it makes me really mad.
We have been saving to buy this car and for us, when your paycheques are only $500-600 every 2 weeks, its hard to save $1800 when theres other stuff you need to buy. We have been eating barely anything, I eat my free Subway and he usually just grabs a $3 slice of pizza at the mall while he's working. We need a car really bad. He is currently driving his dads truck, but he wont let him drive it once it starts snowing (and the snow actually stays) which probably wont be very much longer. It's too expensive to take taxis. $16 each way, when I only make like $60 a day. That leaves me with $28 a day (not including the over a hundred dollars I lose off each cheque).
I don't know where else he is going to get a car for so cheap. This one was worth about $3000, but he was getting it for $1800. Its a civic so it was great on gas. It went about twice as far on a tank of gas, and only costs about $25 to fill, whereas the truck costs about $70. In the last week, I have given my boyfriend so much money for gas. $125 a week is way too much. I gave him $65 on Thursday last week, and then on Sunday we went to my parents house which is about 45 minutes away and that used up a lot of gas so I gave him $40 more and then on Tuesday we went to the movies and that is only like 20 minutes away but then he needed $20 more in gas.

Sorry if this makes no sense...

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found that things like this work out for a reason. The car could have been a lemon once you bought it, or there's a better deal and car in the future for you. Just keep on trying and it'll work out!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As SwampWitch said, it's probably for the best. That girl was selling her car for a reason, and $1,800.00 for a used car is really, really cheap, and there is probably tons wrong with it and it would cost you tons to fix it.

Originally Posted by catlover19

We have been saving to buy this car and for us, when your paycheques are only $500-600 every 2 weeks, its hard to save $1800 when theres other stuff you need to buy. We have been eating barely anything, I eat my free Subway and he usually just grabs a $3 slice of pizza at the mall while he's working.
That's not very healthy!!! You should never put a material possession ahead of life sustaining needs like food, medications, or a roof over your head.

The body needs fuel to survive, and that fuel comes from food. By starving yourself you are doing your body great damage.

Originally Posted by catlover19

We need a car really bad. He is currently driving his dads truck, but he wont let him drive it once it starts snowing (and the snow actually stays) which probably wont be very much longer. It's too expensive to take taxis. $16 each way, when I only make like $60 a day. That leaves me with $28 a day (not including the over a hundred dollars I lose off each cheque).
Why can't you use public transportation?

Cars are expensive!!! Insurance, gas, oil, tires, repairs, parking..... It doesn't end once you pay the $1,800.00 to buy the car. You could expect to easily pay out of your pocket several hundred dollars per month for the car between all of those expenses.

Try and look around for jobs that pay better, in the mean time use public transportation (buses, subway) because that is more affordable to you given the income that you both currently have.

Yes, cars are convenient, but they are not a necessity. If you live in an area with limited public transportation, then move to an area that has a better one. It's still cheaper than owning and maintain a car. Where I live I believe a monthly bus pass is $80.00 per month, less if you are a senior or a student.