Wait until after heat cycle?????

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was talking to my friend yesterday, and she told me that she took her kitten to the vet, and the vet said to wait until after her first heat cycle to get her spayed!!!
I was like WHAAATT??? I immediately told her all the info I knew about when kittens should be spayed. My friend is looking into other vets now
. I just couldn't believe my friend's vet told her that!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It truly scares me, but the ignorance of some vets no longer surprises me
good for you for informing your friend and good for her for finding a new vet

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

I was talking to my friend yesterday, and she told me that she took her kitten to the vet, and the vet said to wait until after her first heat cycle to get her spayed!!!
I was like WHAAATT??? I immediately told her all the info I knew about when kittens should be spayed. My friend is looking into other vets now
. I just couldn't believe my friend's vet told her that!
Sounds like that vet isn't up to date on the latest information. Perhaps your friend can provide him the Winn Foundation report on Early Age spaying/neutering.

And for anyone else who reads this post..it is actually advised to have your cat spayed before it goes into heat.

Katie

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets are traditionalists. Some doctors, too. Some, I'm surprised they aren't using leeches.

Maybe her vet is an older guy who hasn't been keeping up on the latest in veterinary medicine.