To Late To Start?

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well as you know i have a very far along pregnant cat. Faith is around 57-59 days along, my friend started her on a "OFF" brand kitten food which didn't help her case. She has never ate a good brand of cat food, i called my vet because i want to get her in ASAP. I've wen't to the store and got a bunch of stuff including little colored ribbons hehe to mark them
. So tommorrow i'm taking her in at 10am to have ultra sounds of the girls plus Danton is getting fixed
. From the size of her she is holding about 5 kittens? If you press on her tummy you can feel them, i heard that rubbing there stomach relaxes the mommy
. She loves belly rubs hehe.

I bought a Extra Large Cat Carrier and my vet said if i want to watch her delivery to take the top off
. I'm going to clean all the sheets i bought for her so there nice and Spring Fresh hehe. She hates being told she can't lay on my bed
but i really don't need her birthing in my room. But for now she sleeps with me and Troy. But the problem is, is it to late to start her on a good brand of KITTEN Food? Also kitten Replacement milk he said she should be started on in the last 1-2 weeks of the pregnancy? Would she do ok if i started her on Innova Kitten and Cat Food? Would she be better on EVO since its more riched inhanced or would that hurt her?

Thanks

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But the problem is, is it to late to start her on a good brand of KITTEN Food? Also kitten Replacement milk he said she should be started on in the last 1-2 weeks of the pregnancy? Would she do ok if i started her on Innova Kitten and Cat Food? Would she be better on EVO since its more riched inhanced or would that hurt her?
No..it's not too late to start her on good quality kitten food...in fact, it will be useful for your mom to be eating this food so that when it is time for the kittens to wean..they will see mom eating this food and start eating it themselves.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah i was just hoping it wasn't going to be useless to start her on the "right" diet now

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyPaws

Yeah i was just hoping it wasn't going to be useless to start her on the "right" diet now
for mom, anytime you can introduce her to a better quality food is a good time, and never too late! the faster you can get some vitamins and minerals into mom the better. Bless you for taking her in, and Good Luck with the babies!!!

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah i got some Innova for her and everything. I'm exhausted from shopping lol.

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has been switched and eating Innova

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyPaws

I've wen't to the store and got a bunch of stuff including little colored ribbons hehe to mark them
It's not a good idea to put ribbons on a kitten, they could choke or get a foot caught in it.

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There not really ribbons, the fabric is like it though. But i'll be keeping a good eye on them i think it will be fine.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you need to mark the kittens if you don't know what colors you will have? From your post, the kittens have not arrived. Wait and see first - you might have a colorful litter and not have to mark kittens that are the same color

The one litter of Russian blues I had, I never needed to mark them even tho they were all blue - they had different enough looks in face and sex to tell

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes but i might get 2 solid whites or something so just incase i bought stuff to mark them with.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Momma cat is going to have the "ribbons" off her babies about as soon as you put them on
. You'll be able to tell- I've had multiple whites in a litter several times, but they all look a little different (sometimes alot!
) and it hasn't been a problem. You don't want your momma cat swallowing anything like that that could cause her a problem (Just trying to help you keep them all safe
)

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had stuff like this around Faith and she has no interest in it. I put it on Lilly to make her look cute Faith sniffed it and walked off. Until of course Lilly smacked her in the hind that started things lol.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the advice you've gotten regarding using a ribbon-like marking system is most certainly important - just so you know to be on the lookout for this potentially causing a problem. It never hurts to be prepared for potential problems like this one.

Please know that we are here to assist and to be supportive as well as helpful to you - we ~all~ either have had a litter or are going to be having a litter soon. A lot of us have already hit all the roadblocks you may come upon and know how to avoid them, and we may have ideas that will be useful to you, even if you don't think so now.

So ask away if you have questions. If you haven't already, it may be worth the time to read some of the sticky links at the top of the Forum Index - there is a wealth of information there too.

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read all the sticky's and several articles etc online to prepare myself. There were several people that used ribbons as marking tools and never had a trouble with the mother or kittens getting harmed.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The last litter I had was 5 kittens. I had 3 seals and 2 blue points. They were really easy to tell apart because of color variation and sex. I did mark one of the seal males with nail polish as suggested by a mentor I had. It was such a tiny bit on one of its back paw nails. Their little nails are so tiny so it really was less then a tiny drop.

It ultimately wore off and I didn't reapply it because again I could tell them apart without a problem.

Has anyone used polish, and has anyone heard any dangers from it? Thanks.

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't see harm in nail polish people do it all the time to dogs for fun

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's not the nail polish, it's the fumes... you don't want baby kitties breathing nail polish fumes; it's not good for them. And it probably smells bad to mom, too.

If you want to mark them you can use food coloring--it stains their fur like kool-aid hair dye! (It'll come out when they shed that hair--which will be soon because they're kittens). You could have a little kit with a red dot on his tail, and a kit with a blue dot... hehe :p

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol, i'll figure out a way to mark them if i can't tell them a part

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Well, it's not the nail polish, it's the fumes... you don't want baby kitties breathing nail polish fumes; it's not good for them. And it probably smells bad to mom, too.

If you want to mark them you can use food coloring--it stains their fur like kool-aid hair dye! (It'll come out when they shed that hair--which will be soon because they're kittens). You could have a little kit with a red dot on his tail, and a kit with a blue dot... hehe :p
Thanks. I did pay attention to whether mom was bothered by it but she didn't seem to notice. The fumes could be an issue although it was really quick and very little. However better safe then sorry. If ever I need to mark again, I'll try the food coloring. Fortunately for me thus far my kitty babies really have their own distinct looks.

Good luck KittyPaws with your new baby kitties.