Geography lesson for the day...

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Malaysia - "Truly Asia"
Consisting of two parts: Peninsular Malaysia is below Thailand and just above Singapore and Java. East Malaysia is the top part of the Island of Borneo.

Home to the Orang Utan, the probosicus monkey, the Tapir and the Asian Leopard Cat.

For map click here : http://go.hrw.com/atlas/norm_htm/asia.htm

A multinational, multilingual, multicultural country.

Weather? Two types only Hot and Wet Hot (or Rainy and dry!)

Come for a holiday, but you need at least 10 days to really enjoy yourself!

Note: The first Survivor was filmed on an island of Malaysia and so was South Pacific!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you did get my psychic thoughts!!!!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe we'll do a drive-by on our way to Australia when we retire to there! Or should I say "float-by"???

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weather? Two types only Hot and hot and wet,
that is about what i tell people who ask me what the weather is like in that
part of the word

normally get we would get rain, between 1-5 every day, hmm i have some cool pics of that maybe i should post them

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

normally get we would get rain, between 1-5 every day, hmm i have some cool pics of that maybe i should post them
Maybe???? Definitely!
Get busy!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't know about the Borneo part of Malaysia.
I remember going to Malaysia went I was a kid living in Singapore. A popular destination was Desiru (sp?) and Penang. I have a vivd memory of driving over a bridge and below in the river a group of men were bathing their elephants! Never made it to Kuala Lumpur, but wuld love to go there now.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I didn't know about the Borneo part of Malaysia.
I remember going to Malaysia went I was a kid living in Singapore. A popular destination was Desiru (sp?) and Penang. I have a vivd memory of driving over a bridge and below in the river a group of men were bathing their elephants! Never made it to Kuala Lumpur, but wuld love to go there now.
It;s Desaru - a beach resort...And Penang is always popular for Beach bums and shopaholics....

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learn something new everyday. I was not aware there were tapirs in SE Asia! I knew they were in South America because I did a report on them in 3rd grade. (And that was 40 years ago! )

And you can also shop for them at Amazon.com - so says the Yahoo! search results page.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that the Tapirs are soft toys...they're endangered! Just like the Asian Leopard cat and Orang Utans!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh man, i cant find the pics of Malaysia, but i did fine some from Indonesia city of surabaya, during the hot wet season
this was right after the 2 pm rain hehe you could almost set your clock by it,, if i remember right you could be in malayasia in about 45 min plane ride,

on thing that i miss the most is this fruit, jack-a-fruit, hmmm kinda taste like
pineapple & bannana yummy!!!!!

i will keep looking for some better pics if people want to see

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try to find some Malaysia pics...I'm not much of a photog though!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd try that jackfruit too. I love tropical fruit. I never got to try durian. I remember they used to be everywhere just rotting on the ground and stinking the place up. I think they're an expensive fruit though.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The price of Durians depends on the season and if the year is a bumper crop or not...I personally can live without!

For those of you who want to see pics...go here : http://www.kestan.com/travel/malaysia/

Sorry they're not mine, I just don't take pictures!!!! (As if you don't know that already!)

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some nice pics there,

For those that like to travel i would really suggest you visit Malaysia,Indoensia, Thailand. really if your smart about it, the most expensive part will be the air travel.

The food is great(if you like spicy foods) my tounge loves them, but sometimes my stomach does not. The coffee is really good but very different that what the west is used to.
i sometimes wonder if that is why one of the nicknames for coffee is java(which is also the name of the major island in indo)

here is the states i am not much of a fruit person, but i ran into so many different items that i had never seen before, or even thought about trying.
mangos(after coming back here they just dont taste the same), Rambutan
which is i think means hairs??? anyway pop one open and inside is clear
jello looking thing with a seed in the middle(dont eat the seed) , you can get them i think in HI islands also, Something like 150 different types of bannana!!!! lol
man we get the short end of the bannana tree here, at least in terms of taste.

I used to walk to my coffee shop and would take a couple of mangos to work for lunch, something i would never think about doing here until my stay overseas.

I am sure you can tell i enjoyed my stay there, it is well worth a visit, IMO

PS for those that like shopping, i am sure you will fall in love with Malaysia, Thailand