Had an EKG/chest xray today

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a few yrs off and on I have chest pain. I have been to the ER over this at least twice-because I was convinced I had something wrong with me.
I had an EKG done 2 yrs ago as well. Well this weekend I started having more pain and also some pain in my upper left side. So I decided to go to Dr and see what was happening. They did an EKG there in the office, and it was fine. (Thank goodness) He sent me to the hospital for blood work and also chest xrays. And I just talked to the Dr and he said everything has came back normal. YAY!! I just wonder do any of you ever suffer from chest pain? He told me its probly plurisy(sp?).........I am just thankful its nothing serious.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suffered from very severe chest pains off and on, and did much the same things you have done.
It scared the heck out of me, I seriously thought it was my heart and that I was either dying, or going insane.
In my case, it turned out to be a duodenal ulcer.
If it reoccurs, you might ask them to test you for an ulcer, complete with the nasty barium milkshake

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I suffered from very severe chest pains off and on, and did much the same things you have done.
It scared the heck out of me, I seriously thought it was my heart and that I was either dying, or going insane.
In my case, it turned out to be a duodenal ulcer.
If it reoccurs, you might ask them to test you for an ulcer, complete with the nasty barium milkshake
Oh? Hmm...thats interesting. I will be sure and mention that to him. Oh and yes having chest pain is VEERRY scary!!!! It does scare the heck outta me.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom had a pleursey attack several yrs ago-scary!!
My SIL was hospitalized Mon night for chest pains-turns out to be stones in her bile duct (no gallbladder).
I hope you feel better soon!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you had an echocardiogram? That shows a much better picture of the heart...

I have a heart condition and get chect pains, and they have no idea what causes them and whether it's related. I just have to race to hospital if I get a pain a lot worse than the regular one!

I know when I'm stressed the pains are more regular and worse, so that's certainly a factor for me. Of course, when that happens, I stress more that my heart is going to explode which makes it worse...

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monica, I'm SOOO glad your ok........I have chest pains, but I've had pain in my left side for years and no doctor has been able to tell me what they are from...........

southernlocs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ive had chest pains also and i can also feel my heart skipping a beat and when it does that i feel a quick sense of dizziness. The docs did a EKG saw my heart was skipping beats, then i had an ultrasound and that looked good, then had a chest xray and that was fine. I just went to my GYN for my annual and she checked my heart and asked me if my heartbeat was always slow
The docs feel since im only 29 i cant possibly have anything wrong with my heart
I just plan on keeping my eyes open and getting it checked out when i feel necessary

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

For a few yrs off and on I have chest pain. I have been to the ER over this at least twice-because I was convinced I had something wrong with me.
I had an EKG done 2 yrs ago as well. Well this weekend I started having more pain and also some pain in my upper left side. So I decided to go to Dr and see what was happening. They did an EKG there in the office, and it was fine. (Thank goodness) He sent me to the hospital for blood work and also chest xrays. And I just talked to the Dr and he said everything has came back normal. YAY!! I just wonder do any of you ever suffer from chest pain? He told me its probly plurisy(sp?).........I am just thankful its nothing serious.
I'm glad that the tests that you had came back fine.

Pleurisy is diagnosed from the symptoms and from hearing a rubbing sound with a stethoscope. I wouldn't be happy hearing "It's probably pleurisy." That to me sounds like the doctor is unsure himself!

Unfortunately the testing that you had cannot rule out heart involvement. The fact that your EKG from years before and now haven't changed is good! But that doesn't rule out things like blocked arteries, valve problems etc.

Have they done any heart related tests like a Holter Monitor (you wear the monitor for 24 hours and record your activity and any symptoms that you have). Have you had a stress test? Angiogram?

I would suggest seeking a second opinion. It may be pleurisy, or it may be something more serious. When it comes to symptoms that a heart condition can produce such as chest pain, you really need to have further testing done to make sure that it really isn't your heart.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say chest pains, do you mean like when you are really stressed out?If so, that sounds like anxiety attacks.
I'm glad things were o.k. and you got good news!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Southernlocs

The docs feel since im only 29 i cant possibly have anything wrong with my heart
I just plan on keeping my eyes open and getting it checked out when i feel necessary
Ummm, that's not true!!!

I can't believe what I'm hearing people say in this thread about what doctors have told them!

Many heart birth defects aren't diagnosed until adulthood. Heart problems can strike at any age, not just the elderly!

I'm a nurse and have looked after young people, I'm talking 20 year olds that have had a massive heart attack, or stroke. I've worked on the CVT ward that looks after patients before and after heart surgery. I've had a number of patients who were under 40 years, even some in their 20's who have had problems with their heart valves from childhood diseases.

There are certain conditions that mimic heart pain, such as gallbladder. When you go to the ER with chest pain they first test if it's your gallbladder by giving you a cocktail of medicine, and if the pain is still there after that, then they do more serious testing for the heart. As someone suggested earlier too, stress/anxiety can cause chest pain as well.

Make sure you push your doctor to find the source of your chest pain and not accept "it's probably just....." Find out for sure what it is and take measures to fix whatever the problem is, even if it involves taking anti-anxiety medication for anxiety attacks if that's what is causing the pain.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Southernlocs

I'm 25 and got told the same thing 1 1/2 years ago!! I have since been diagnosed with a thoracic aortic aneurysm, and this particular type often kills before the age of 30 if undetected.

Follow your own instincts!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have weird chest pains too and have had X-rays done and I go for an ECG every few months but they haven't found anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok guys, now ya have me freaked out!!! I think I am gonna get a second opinion.
I know heart probs arent something to mess around with, and also I agree that ANY age can have heart prob's. They strike anytime, anyone............

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been there and done that with heart tests it seems. As a child I had a murmur. My father also had a heart murmur and my mother has a mitral valve prolapse.

It's not too uncommon for me to have palpitations accompanied by pain and shortness of breath. If I have a big one or a few close together, I'm wiped out. Also I have problems when I've been exercising or doing something that takes a lot of breath and concentration, like when I played the flute. I would be fine, next thing I know everything is black and someone near me is freaking out. I've never actually fainted, just come close. My freshman year of HS my gym teacher had us doing suicides on the second or third day of school. He didn't believe I had a heart condition. Once I finally insisted I couldn't go on he sent me to the nurse who sent me to the hospital. Lovely huh? Had him my sophomore year too.

So anyway! I've been through the whole EKG, holter (spelled wrong I'm sure) monitor, stress test, tilt table tests, echo's (funny cuz we own a Toyota echo too) and all that stuff. Guess what my diagnosis was from the last Dr I saw (the first actual cardiologist since I was a child), he diagnosed me as having 'a common arrhythmia'. Is that even possible!?! So my heart beats commonly irregular at times. The only thing about seeing that last Dr that made me happy was I no longer have to take meds before I see the dentist!

It defiantly gets worse with stress. Funny thing is, DH was deployed during most of the last tests I went through! I just take my time when it comes to exercise. I always wear the safety clip when I'm on my treadmill and if I feel I'm doing too much, I stop.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natalie_ca's comments reminded me of something. Back in 96 my co-worker went to the er for chest pain and they said she'd pulled a muscle (in her sleep!) and gave her pain killers. 2 days later she found out she'd had a heart attack. She was also diagnosed with a vascular disease. She's had lazer surgery and over a dosen stints in her legs and arteries. I guess back then they were just 'realizing' that women have heart attacks also.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

So anyway! I've been through the whole EKG, holter (spelled wrong I'm sure) monitor,
Nope
You spelled it right. I had to wear one for 24 hours a week or 2 ago.

I've been having vertigo/fainting spells for about 2 years and they are trying to find out what it is. Sometimes I also get what feels like a fluttering feeling in the middle of my chest.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Nope
You spelled it right. I had to wear one for 24 hours a week or 2 ago.

I've been having vertigo/fainting spells for about 2 years and they are trying to find out what it is. Sometimes I also get what feels like a fluttering feeling in the middle of my chest.
Sometimes when I used to have the murmur it felt like a fluttering. It's a weird feeling!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubbie had 4 heart attacks a bit over 3 years ago - and the first one started with chest pain! He had surgery and is OK now, but I watch him like a hawk. It's better to be safe than sorry - I'd be getting another opinion just to be sure. Something is causing it.

southernlocs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My regular doc told me MAYBE it was anxiety and the ER doc just gave me a prescription for Vicodin(which i never got filled) As a child i was told i had a heart murmur my mom didnt believe them and took me to another doc that said i didnt have one.