Advice on Cat carriers

verynycegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
We have a new family member who will be going to his first vet visit tommorrow. I'd like to get him a cat carrier so he will get to and from his visit safely. Is there any difference between the different style's they sell? Is there a favorite one you all could suggest? I know they sell them at PetSmart...Does anyone know if they have them at Walmart or Target?

Thanks!
Tracy

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd go with the Walmart/Target stuff. Petsmart is too expensive for a cat carrier that wil only be used once a year. Ive even seen them as cheap as 11 bucks, and good sturdy ones.

I havent bought one but Ceci will need to have her first vet visit (with me) and i'll buy one of the Walmart models

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought this one from Petsmart, and I really like it! Having the top open makes it a lot easier to get them in and out when they don't want to go in or come out!

I needed another since I was taking all 3 cats in at the same time, so I bought one from Meijer but I'm going to return it. I can't stand that the top doesn't open so I'll be getting another one of these. I think for the $$ it's worth it to me!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

I bought this one from Petsmart, and I really like it! Having the top open makes it a lot easier to get them in and out when they don't want to go in or come out!
I like how the top opens on that one too! On my last visit, we had to take our carrier (from Target) apart because the vet tech couldn't get Emily out through the door! Other than that, I like my carrier. They are all pretty similar in my opinion.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah- I'd say there's not much difference between carriers- this one included, other than the top opens.

Last time we went to the vet I screwed up and put Maui in that one and the kittens in the one with just the one front door. Well Maui couldn't care less about going to the vet and he just saunters out, but the kittens were plastered to the back of their carrier & it was so hard to get them out!

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just be careful with that model. Make sure all the little dials are on closed.

That's the one that fell apart on me. Outside with a very skittish cat. Not a fum time getting her back inside the carrier.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like my soft-sided one better then the hard one cause its a lot easier to sling the cat over your shoulder and carry it

I have to get a bigger hard carrier tho as the ocicat will need a medium size one - not the smaller one. When I get it, I'll pick it up at Petsmart (most likely)

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like a solid one. You can always line it with a blanket or two, but safety is my primary concern. I don't want the cat being able to get out for any reason, unless I let them out.

As for the top or side opening, I usually leave the carrier out 24 hours before anyone goes in it. They can look around, make sure they are not being chased into it, then the next day I just pick up the one to go put it in the carrier. If you have a spot of trouble, turn the carrie so that it is sitting on it's permanently closed end, open up the grate, slip in the cat and Voila!!! we are off.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have 3 different kinds of carriers. 1 hard side plastic, 2 rubbermaid (made by graco) soft side, and 1 samsonite soft side. by far my cats prefer the samsonite one. i like it because it can be carried like a duffle, or slung over my shoulder. and it has top and front entry. the cats like that it's comfortable, and they can still see out pretty well. and i didn't pay tons of money for the samsonite one. it cost the least of all my carriers. i found it at Big Lots for $17.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do like using my soft-sided carrier for shorter trips or bringing a heavier cat to the vet because the shoulder strap makes it much easier for me to carry them. If the cat tends to get nervous in the cat and wet or it is a longer trip I would probably just a regular plastic crate for easy clean up.

I also left several carriers out around the house with my guys when they were growing up so they didn't associate bringing out the carrier with going to the vet or any other potentially stressful event. Even now they still view the crates as just another toy, and will play and nap in them. A very easy way to help them get used to crates!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yorda

I also left several carriers out around the house with my guys when they were growing up so they didn't associate bringing out the carrier with going to the vet or any other potentially stressful event. Even now they still view the crates as just another toy, and will play and nap in them. A very easy way to help them get used to crates!
That's what we do as well. I leave it in the living room with the door open and put a soft towel or small blanket inside for them to lay on.

Because they are used to harnesses and leashes we actually don't usually use the carrier to go to the vet and the vet is only 5 minutes from our house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verynycegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to Thank everyone for their advice. I bought a small hard carrier at Petsmart....I had a tough time getting Pumpkin in and actually had to take it apart and place him in then quickly snap it back together. I wish I had got the one that you can open the top but didn't think he would be so difficult to get in it! Oh well, hopefully I won't need to use it for another year!!!

Thanks again!
Tracy

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I like my soft-sided one better then the hard one cause its a lot easier to sling the cat over your shoulder and carry it
but i do have a hard plastic one, & a double-cat sized one. i rarely use any but the soft ones, but i have enough to house all cats at once should that ever be necessary.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna check into a soft carrier... I never considered them before. Are they just like a duffle bag that maintains its shape?

It would be nice to carry one over the shoulder- it was tough lugging two carriers around, Maui is a beefcake and the kittens weigh 5#'s combined... not even full grown yet!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

I'm gonna check into a soft carrier... I never considered them before. Are they just like a duffle bag that maintains its shape?

It would be nice to carry one over the shoulder- it was tough lugging two carriers around, Maui is a beefcake and the kittens weigh 5#'s combined... not even full grown yet!
here's where i got mine - it's a cat tapestry. but they sell the solid colored ones all over, like pet stores & even places like wal-mart & target. there's an inexpensive one here, if your cat is not too big for it.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the hard plastic ones with the front door and have little problems with my own cats, but as a vet tech, I like the soft-sided ones with the zippered top. There's a cat who comes to our hospital for weekly fluid treatments, and we were soooo happy when his owners bought a top-load carrier for him. And much easier for the owners and the cat.

Also, bigger isn't always better. A small to medium sized cat can be difficult to get out of a large carrier. But on the other extreme, I've seen a great big fatty whose fur was literally sticking out the sides of the carrier. How he turned around in there is beyond me -- it looked like you'd need a shoe horn to get him out.

I find I have less trouble loading my cats if I leave one carrier out at all times with the door off. Sometimes I toss a treat or two in it, and my younger cats will sometimes sleep in it. The oldest has been to the vet too many times recently to think it's fun little hiding place, though.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I have to get a bigger hard carrier tho as the ocicat will need a medium size one - not the smaller one. When I get it, I'll pick it up at Petsmart (most likely)
I love my soft sided carrier as well. It unzips on top and then also has a zipper around one end. It has supports that make it stand up and a soft fleece like lining on the bottom. My cats absolutely love it. In fact if I leave it out open, you'd find one of them laying in it.

I had a plastic carrier and found it cumbersome to carry around and the cats didn't like it as well. Maybe too much like a cage to them. I don't know.
For some reason they seem to feel more secure in the soft sided. When I took Jake to spend the day at hospital the last few days, They left his carrier open in the pen because he liked it so much. Kind of a security thing.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just caved and got myself a pretty sherpa soft sided carrier (in pink and black herringbone) today. Dynah is going to need her own carrier now that I'm keeping her, and it was only $16 more to get the pretty one. Chester has a sherpa already in green and loves it! I love the fact that they fold up, since I'm getting a 1 bedroom apartment soon. The hard carriers have their place, both in price and being able to be washed, but similarly the sherpas can go through the washer, so I figure it's just up to personal preference.
Hazah! can't wait for my carrier to come!